[OT] For Veteran's Day...

DC Tom

PIERCE, FRANCIS JUNIOR

Rank and organization: Pharmacist's Mate First Class, U.S. Navy serving with 2d Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division. Place and date: Iwo Jima, 15 and 16 March 1945. Entered service at Iowa Born: 7 December 1924, Earlville, Iowa.

Congressional Medal of Honor Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while attached to the 2d Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division, during the Iwo Jima campaign, 15 and 16 March 1945. Almost continuously under fire while carrying out the most dangerous volunteer assignments, Pierce gained valuable knowledge of the terrain and disposition of troops. Caught in heavy enemy rifle and machinegun fire which wounded a corpsman and 2 of the 8 stretcher bearers who were carrying 2 wounded marines to a forward aid station on 15 March, Pierce quickly took charge of the party, carried the newly wounded men to a sheltered position, and rendered first aid. After directing the evacuation of 3 of the casualties, he stood in the open to draw the enemy's fire and, with his weapon blasting, enabled the litter bearers to reach cover. Turning his attention to the other 2 casualties he was attempting to stop the profuse bleeding of 1 man when a Japanese fired from a cave less than 20 yards away and wounded his patient again. Risking his own life to save his patient, Pierce deliberately exposed himself to draw the attacker from the cave and destroyed him with the last of his ammunition Then lifting the wounded man to his back, he advanced unarmed through deadly rifle fire across 200 feet of open terrain. Despite exhaustion and in the face of warnings against such a suicidal mission, he again traversed the same fire-swept path to rescue the remaining marine. On the following morning, he led a combat patrol to the sniper nest and, while aiding a stricken marine, was seriously wounded. Refusing aid for himself, he directed treatment for the casualty, at the same time maintaining protective fire for his comrades. Completely fearless, completely devoted to the care of his patients, Pierce inspired the entire battalion. His valor in the face of extreme peril sustains and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

There are no heroes in sports...

And he was a Pharmacist's Mate.  Amazing.

113073[/snapback]

Navy rating and specialty. On the ground, he was a corpsman. To the Marines...he was simply another Marine. Marines took (and take) good care of their corpsman, they know what they're worth.

For ANZAC day, I'll find a medal citation from Kokoda or Sanananda, just for you. :doh:

BENAVIDEZ, ROY P.

Rank and Organization: Master Sergeant. Detachment B-56, 5th Special Forces Group, Republic of Vietnam

Place and Date: West of Loc Ninh on 2 May 1968

Entered Service at: Houston, Texas June 1955

Date and Place of Birth: 5 August 1935, DeWitt County, Cuero, Texas

Citation:

Master Sergeant, then Staff Sergeant, United States Army. Who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely glorious actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B-56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne). 1st Special Forces, Republic of Vietnam. On the morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence information about confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled and routinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army.

After a short period of time on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance and requested emergency extraction. 3 helicopters attempted extraction, but were unable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire. Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoring the operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load wounded crew members and to assess aircraft damage.

Sergeant Benavidez voluntarily boarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt. Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unable to move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearing where he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75 meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior to reaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face and head.

Despite these painful injuries he took charge, repositioning the team members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of an extraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. He then threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position. Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried and dragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He then provided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved to pick up the remaining team members.

As the enemy's fire intensified, he hurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead team leader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severely wounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in his back. At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded, and his helicopter Rosened.

Although in extremely critical condition due to his multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documents and made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out of the overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into a defensive perimeter. Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenade fire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition to his weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight.

Facing a buildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidez mustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directed the fire from supporting gun ships to suppress the enemy's fire and so permit another extraction attempt. He was wounded again in his thigh by small arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member just before another extraction helicopter was able to land.

His indomitable spirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft. On his second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed with additional wounds to his head and arms before killing his adversary. He then continued under devastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching the aircraft, he spotted and killed 2 enemy soldiers who were rushing the craft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firing upon them.

With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to the perimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected or destroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded. Only then, in extremely serious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allow himself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft.

Sergeant Benavidez' gallant choice to voluntarily join his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least 8 men. His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion to duty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him and the United States Army

MSgt Benavidez was the reason I joined the military. I read about him in Reader's Digest when I was a kid. I've never forgotten him. He died 29 Nov 1998.

What an incredible bio. When you look around today at the makeup of our country, and use this as a backdrop, it's simply amazing to me that we don't spend more time respecting and honoring people like this. One of the greatest things a person can do in this world is understand and embrace the concept of selflessness, because from selflessness is borne other, more dramatic traits of humanism. Being selfless is quite possibly one of the....ummm...one of the...ummm...uhhh...

Sorry. I Tivo'ed 'Lost' and have to get going.

Ding. Attention span over. :doh:

What an incredible bio. When you look around today at the makeup of our country, and use this as a backdrop, it's simply amazing to me that we don't spend more time respecting and honoring people like this. One of the greatest things a person can do in this world is understand and embrace the concept of selflessness, because from selflessness is borne other, more dramatic traits of humanism. Being selfless is quite possibly one of the....ummm...one of the...ummm...uhhh...

113157[/snapback]

It changed when someone invented the remote control. That made alot of people put down books.

For ANZAC day, I'll find a medal citation from Kokoda or Sanananda, just for you.

Thanks DC Tom. April 25th.

And for those who care about world history:

Aussies also commemorate Nov 11. It's called Remembrance Day. At 11:00am throughout the country they observe a 2 minute silence. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. The day the Armistice was signed at the end of the 1st World War.

Thanks DC Tom.  April 25th.

Aussies also commemorate Nov 11.  It's called Remembrance Day.  At 11:00am throughout the country they observe a 2 minute silence.  The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.  The day the Armistice was signed at the end of the 1st World War.

113179[/snapback]

Thanks aussiew, I didnt know that.

Being selfless is quite possibly one of the....ummm...one of the...ummm...uhhh...

113157[/snapback]

Wow. What a scumbag you are. Really. An unbelievable post about a true hero, and you have to bring your judgments of others into and ruin it. You're really a piece of work. I was just going to post about how amazing this man was, but its easier to see how great he was in contrast to scum like yourself who would mar a thread about him with outside feelings. I'm sure every minute of your life is spent saying thanks to these great men, and you never take time to watch a stupid televsion show. You are so much better than the rest. What a true piece of scum you are.

As for this Marine, unbelievable courage. Makes Kellen Winslow look like a complete schlep.

Thanks DC Tom.  April 25th.

Aussies also commemorate Nov 11.  It's called Remembrance Day.  At 11:00am throughout the country they observe a 2 minute silence.  The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.  The day the Armistice was signed at the end of the 1st World War.

113179[/snapback]

A friend of mine here at work is an aussie. He was just telling me about this at lunch.

Wow. What a scumbag you are. Really. An unbelievable post about a true hero, and you have to bring your judgments of others into and ruin it. You're really a piece of work. I was just going to post about how amazing this man was, but its easier to see how great he was in contrast to scum like yourself who would mar a thread about him with outside feelings.  I'm sure every minute of your life is spent saying thanks to these great men, and you never take time to watch a stupid televsion show. You are so much better than the rest. What a true piece of scum you are.

As for this Marine, unbelievable courage. Makes Kellen Winslow look like a complete schlep.

113195[/snapback]

His post was not directed toward you, but yet you took it as an affront. His post was, to me, putting into perspective the attention span of alot of people in this country. Also, it was not disrespectful to the thread.

Wow. What a scumbag you are. Really. An unbelievable post about a true hero, and you have to bring your judgments of others into and ruin it. You're really a piece of work. I was just going to post about how amazing this man was, but its easier to see how great he was in contrast to scum like yourself who would mar a thread about him with outside feelings.  I'm sure every minute of your life is spent saying thanks to these great men, and you never take time to watch a stupid televsion show. You are so much better than the rest. What a true piece of scum you are.

113195[/snapback]

Defensive much?? :lol:

I was at the WWII Memorial in Washington this morning with a D-Day vet. Long-time family friend who came down from Rochester.

At 11:00 AM, Taps was played and vets of the 82nd Airborne gathered at the European Theater section and saluted as an Army honor guard stood at attention.

Days like this make me thank God to be an American....