The Bills are not bad --- they did not game plan

spartacus

for every critique of the Bills inept performance, someone blames is on the lack of game planning by our illustrious coaching staff

the implication is that these other teams cheated by game planning and had an unfair advantage over the Bills.

so why don't these boneheads prepare for their opponent in game 4 of the pre-season.

what else is so important that these guys can't spend some time preparing the team???

I know Walt Corey wasted his time watching the Flintsones

I wonder what Dick's favorite cartoon is

what else is so important that these guys can't spend some time preparing the team???

Practicing their base offensive and defensive packages, and evaluating the talent in preparation for roster cuts. That doesn't mean the Bills aren't bad...it just means that preseason games aren't a very good predictor of regular season performance. Ask the Lions.

Game planning for preseason isn't cheating...it's just generally a waste of time, because the games don't count for anything.

Most teams run a very vanilla offensive and defensive schemes in the preseason. A, you don't give much away to your week 1 opponents, B you're not overloading your young guys (including 27 players that won't be with the team for much longer).

Plus, you have your coordinators, coaches and scouts working on game planning for meaningful games.

for every critique of the Bills inept performance, someone blames is on the lack of game planning by our illustrious coaching staff

the implication is that these other teams cheated by game planning and had an unfair advantage over the Bills.

so why don't these boneheads prepare for their opponent in game 4 of the pre-season.

Nobody is implying that other teams cheated, or even that they game-planned. That's your little assumption.

But vanilla offenses and defenses generally aren't as effective as Os and Ds that play to their strengths and the other team's weaknesses.

Nobody is implying that other teams cheated, or even that they game-planned. That's your little assumption.

But vanilla offenses and defenses generally aren't as effective as Os and Ds that play to their strengths and the other team's weaknesses.

But our opponents have also been playing vanilla offenses and defenses. So if our O looks this bad against vanilla defenses, why should it look any better when both teams start game planning? Does anyone have any real confidence that our coaching staff's game plans will be superior to those of our opponents?

Game planning for preseason isn't cheating...it's just generally a waste of time, because the games don't count for anything.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, since game planning in the pre-season gives coaches and teams experience in setting, executing and evaluating a game plan. Then again, since Jauron apparently doesn't bother to game plan during the regular season either, I can see your point as it applies to the Bills.

Practicing their base offensive and defensive packages, and evaluating the talent in preparation for roster cuts. That doesn't mean the Bills aren't bad...it just means that preseason games aren't a very good predictor of regular season performance. Ask the Lions.

Here's the problem I have with this philosophy; the other team is running their base offense and defense as well. They are also evaluating talent. Soooo...all things being equal we are not as good as the teams we have played. NOW, the point you can make is...a team can come up with a great game plan to defeat their opponent. I don't want to throw more fuel on the "coaching sucks" fire but do you really think the guys we have running the ship are going to "out game plan" our opposition? If anything I think the beatings will get worse.

Then again if we can finally see the TO effect on the field he could be the missing link that I have claimed we needed for the past 5 years and the light of heaven will shine down on western NY and all will be right in the universe.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, since game planning in the pre-season gives coaches and teams experience in setting, executing and evaluating a game plan. Then again, since Jauron apparently doesn't bother to game plan during the regular season either, I can see your point as it applies to the Bills.

Theoretically, this coaching staff is experienced enough that they don't need the practice (as a practical matter...they suck so badly at game-planning that I'd rather they didn't in preseason - any experience they get is likely to be negative). The only reason to game-plan would be to implement and evaluate a new offense...and as far as I can tell, this "no-huddle" offense isn't new, it's just the same old sh------- play-calling, but with the players running around confused and disoriented before the snap (as well as after, yes).

So again...waste of time. At best, it wouldn't accomplish anything. At worst, it would reinforce the coaches' delusions of competence.

Here's the problem I have with this philosophy; the other team is running their base offense and defense as well. They are also evaluating talent. Soooo...all things being equal we are not as good as the teams we have played. NOW, the point you can make is...a team can come up with a great game plan to defeat their opponent. I don't want to throw more fuel on the "coaching sucks" fire but do you really think the guys we have running the ship are going to "out game plan" our opposition? If anything I think the beatings will get worse.

Then again if we can finally see the TO effect on the field he could be the missing link that I have claimed we needed for the past 5 years and the light of heaven will shine down on western NY and all will be right in the universe.

I didn't see Green Bay or Pittsburgh running a base offense. They looked like they planned to attack specific weaknesses in the Bills' schemes. The Bills, on the other hand, didn't look like they were attacking anything...they looked like they were running a set of vanilla plays based on the desire to evaluate themselves rather than an evaluation of the other team.

Again, my point not being that the Bills don't suck (five different starters on the offensive line? Two rookies, one FA, and two out of position from last year? Of course they're going to suck.) My point is that preseason is NOT an accurate portrayal of how they suck.

I didn't see Green Bay or Pittsburgh running a base offense. They looked like they planned to attack specific weaknesses in the Bills' schemes. The Bills, on the other hand, didn't look like they were attacking anything...they looked like they were running a set of vanilla plays based on the desire to evaluate themselves rather than an evaluation of the other team.

Again, my point not being that the Bills don't suck (five different starters on the offensive line? Two rookies, one FA, and two out of position from last year? Of course they're going to suck.) My point is that preseason is NOT an accurate portrayal of how they suck.

You saw what you saw. No doubt.

JUST BECAUSE WE LOOKED INEFFECTIVE AND INEPT DOESN'T MEAN THE STEELERS GAME PLANNED US.

Why do you think the Bills are the only team that ran vanilla that night and wanted to evaluate their talent? We want to Billieve so badly that we aren't really that bad vanilla vs vanilla that we start saying things like the other team must have game planned us! They are just a better team. They did win the superbowl for crying out loud. And yes, Trent IS really incapable of playing against a 3 - 4 defense. Get used to it. He needs a "3 - 4 Defense for Dummies" book.

shouldnt preseason be a way for jauron and company to learn how to game plan?i think they need the practice more than the players!

You saw what you saw. No doubt.

JUST BECAUSE WE LOOKED INEFFECTIVE AND INEPT DOESN'T MEAN THE STEELERS GAME PLANNED US.

Why do you think the Bills are the only team that ran vanilla that night and wanted to evaluate their talent? We want to Billieve so badly that we aren't really that bad vanilla vs vanilla that we start saying things like the other team must have game planned us! They are just a better team. They did win the superbowl for crying out loud. And yes, Trent IS really incapable of playing against a 3 - 4 defense. Get used to it. He needs a "3 - 4 Defense for Dummies" book.

Did I say that? No.

If you're just going to make sh-- up and not read my posts, I don't see why I should discuss this with you.

Please let's not start that silly forum argument that goes nowhere. I SAID IT!...Please show me where it says I allege that you said it?

The point being I don't think ANYONE game plans and because it looked like Pittsburgh was attacking us etc and was effective doesn't mean they game planned us.

Do you have a legitimate source for your beliefs that the Steelers game planned us or are you basing it on their effectiveness against us?

Please let's not start that silly forum argument that goes nowhere. I SAID IT!...Please show me where it says I allege that you said it?

The point being I don't think ANYONE game plans and because it looked like Pittsburgh was attacking us etc and was effective doesn't mean they game planned us.

Do you have a legitimate source for your beliefs that the Steelers game planned us or are you basing it on their effectiveness against us?

heard the seahawks coach speaking on espn this very day. his comment was bascially that they run vanilla o/d and don't sweat it too much. they work on specfic schemes during practice, specific game plans during practice, and want to hit the ground running for the first game.

here's where i'm at on this. if everyone runs vanilla, we don't know what will happen on Monday night, but when push comes to shove----crappy vanilla tastes worse than good vanilla.

heard the seahawks coach speaking on espn this very day. his comment was bascially that they run vanilla o/d and don't sweat it too much. they work on specfic schemes during practice, specific game plans during practice, and want to hit the ground running for the first game.

here's where i'm at on this. if everyone runs vanilla, we don't know what will happen on Monday night, but when push comes to shove----crappy vanilla tastes worse than good vanilla.

If I read you right that is EXACTLY what I am saying. Vanilla against vanilla we look as bad as it appears in preseason. During the regular season when both teams game plan it's our coaching vs theirs. Unfortunately that gives me even less hope than I have had through our abysmal preseason.

Again, that being said I hope T.O. is the missing piece we have needed that last 5 years on offense. Even if he is it will take a 180 turn around in Trent's style to make use of him.

Go listen to Jauron being interviewed by Chris Brown on the Bills website, Jauron states the Bills are in the process of game planning for Thursdays game against the Lions and also doing some planning for the Patriots a week from Monday.

So, the Bills do some game planning, they just aren't very good at it.

If I read you right that is EXACTLY what I am saying. Vanilla against vanilla we look as bad as it appears in preseason. During the regular season when both teams game plan it's our coaching vs theirs. Unfortunately that gives me even less hope than I have had through our abysmal preseason.

Again, that being said I hope T.O. is the missing piece we have needed that last 5 years on offense. Even if he is it will take a 180 turn around in Trent's style to make use of him.

right. on the other hand---if you allow me to remove my nearly 47 years of buffalo bills heartache from the equation, coupled with the fact that i'll be in New England opening night with my son who only has 14 years of heartache----it sure would be nice to say that vanilla v. vanilla is totally irrelevant. if we're practicing XXX during training camp and never run it, hard to say XXX is a bad thing.

one other thought---i have seen the bills in new england 2 times in the past few years. in both games, i felt comfortable i was going just to have a good time and support my team during a loss to a better team. no shame there. in both cases, we had 'em on the ropes but it wasn't so much we couldn't finish, we just got really conservative and simply seemed not to want to finish.

Go listen to Jauron being interviewed by Chris Brown on the Bills website, Jauron states the Bills are in the process of game planning for Thursdays game against the Lions and also doing some planning for the Patriots a week from Monday.

So, the Bills do some game planning, they just aren't very good at it.

I heard the portion of the video you were talking about. I guess no one knows 100% what the coach was saying. I took it to mean that they are focused on New England but they have their last preseason game coming up against Detroit. They still have talent to evaluate and bugs to work out. I didn't get from that that they were actually "game planning" them to take advantage of player tendencies, weaknesses etc.

Any game even a preseason game is going to take some sort of "preparation" which is the word he used. I don't take that to mean they are breaking down game film on them and sweating a plan of attack.

But our opponents have also been playing vanilla offenses and defenses. So if our O looks this bad against vanilla defenses, why should it look any better when both teams start game planning?

Thank you...that's the point, if our coaches had a clue or even a track record of showing that they had one. We wouldn't have this panic from fans. I don't care if we lose every pre-season game but our starters should at least look-like they belong. :ph34r:

right. on the other hand---if you allow me to remove my nearly 47 years of buffalo bills heartache from the equation, coupled with the fact that i'll be in New England opening night with my son who only has 14 years of heartache----it sure would be nice to say that vanilla v. vanilla is totally irrelevant. if we're practicing XXX during training camp and never run it, hard to say XXX is a bad thing.

one other thought---i have seen the bills in new england 2 times in the past few years. in both games, i felt comfortable i was going just to have a good time and support my team during a loss to a better team. no shame there. in both cases, we had 'em on the ropes but it wasn't so much we couldn't finish, we just got really conservative and simply seemed not to want to finish.

Right on. I hear ya. We could be practicing some great stuff that we just haven't shown on the field yet. I hope our coaching staff has something that will blow everyone away and make use of what talent we do have. For instance throwing deep to deep threats. Putting play makers on the field in a position to do what they do well "X", NOT keep them on the bench because they do "Y" poorly.

This was Parcell's philosophy by the way. He wanted to know what a guy did well and how to take advantage of it and put him in a position to succeed instead of using what they sucked at to keep them on the bench in favor of an "average" veteran.

That all being said. It again comes down to I think EVERY team is also practicing their "real" play book and come out and play vanilla in preseason. It has just been proven in at least preseason that other teams are better, sometimes much better, playing vanilla vs vanilla. The "Billiever" in me hopes we have something like an UP TEMPO version of the no-huddle that will blow people away.

Side note. It still kills me how some of these retarded football pundits don't get the different between the no-huddle and the hurry up. We have NOT been hurrying up but they are trying to blame the defense being on the field a long time on the lack of a huddle. I bet we are getting plays snapped off at about the same time as a huddling team would.

I don't really have a reply to this post, but I have to ask - are you a M*A*S*H fan? I was. it was big in our house growing up. The reason I ask is that the only time I've ever heard anyone say "horse hockey" it came from Col. Potter's mouth.