JW article on McKorner

Beerball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, misleading title, with a "Corner" also on the roster.

Second, who is still on the floor after this one:

We didn't draft him to give 10 to 15-yard cushions," Fewell said, recalling what he told the former No. 11 selection. "We drafted him so he can get up in their grill and be able to stay with a receiver."

Ha - I was just going to post that

I for one will admit that I've regularly bitcched about the 10 yard cushion that is given by our CB's to opposing WR's. I always thought it was part of the scheme of the poontang-2 defense though.

I'm stunned to find out that the cushion is actually a choice by the corner. I guess I still blame Fewell (a former DB coach IIRC) for not addressing this problem three years ago when his db's were regularly getting beat underneath via the slant.

Just another example of horrible coaching and the complete failure of this staff to instill a tough approach by the players.

Ha - I was just going to post that

I for one will admit that I've regularly bitcched about the 10 yard cushion that is given by our CB's to opposing WR's. I always thought it was part of the scheme of the poontang-2 defense though.

I'm stunned to find out that the cushion is actually a choice by the corner. I guess I still blame Fewell (a former DB coach IIRC) for not addressing this problem three years ago when his db's were regularly getting beat underneath via the slant.

Just another example of horrible coaching and the complete failure of this staff to instill a tough approach by the players.

this is a BIG piece of news, IMO. i hope john realizes just how much insight and new light this sheds on something i think every Bills fan has been bitching about for at least the past couple of seasons...

im shocked right now. i always thought the players lined up EXACTLY where they were told to. if our DBs have been choosing to back off the line... well i guess that doesnt speak too highly of our coaching staff that they couldnt get them where they should have been? i dont know. im pretty shocked by this revelation right now...

this is a BIG piece of news, IMO. i hope john realizes just how much insight and new light this sheds on something i think every Bills fan has been bitching about for at least the past couple of seasons...

im shocked right now. i always thought the players lined up EXACTLY where they were told to. if our DBs have been choosing to back off the line... well i guess that doesnt speak too highly of our coaching staff that they couldnt get them where they should have been? i dont know. im pretty shocked by this revelation right now...

I wouldn't put it all on the coach, or Fewell for that matter. It's just like with the offensive line - the coach will give you the tools to block, but you have to figure out (along with the coach) what tools you need to use during each play. If you don't use it correctly and they've given you multiple ways to get to where you need to get, sometimes the coach just has to grimace and bear it.

Especially when in college where Leodis was known for being a solid press-man corner. The fact that he gives that much of a cushion is a testament to him being burned in practice and at times in games and being worried he will miss his assignment being in a press look.

As far as news goes, despite comments on the board to the contrary, rarely are the Bills in a "Tampa 2" look. Most of the time he has them play a cover 3 or 4, which can have the db press or with a bit (or BIG in some cases with our guys) of a cushion.

i was pretty baffled myself on it, though i think it had more to do with McKelvin's comfort zone at that point in time early in camp than anything else. i had discussed the 10-15 yard cushion with Perry shortly after the Hall of Fame game, and he gave me the same line then.

of course, there has been a big concern as noted in the story how much development time McKelvin lost due to the infected finger. the Bills staff was eager to have McKelvin work against Owens and Evans during that time to get him better accustomed to facing elite receivers.

i think Leodis is, in fact, coming along. Maybin has a way to go, not much is being expected out of him for Saturday's game.

taking a three-day weekend before it all really starts piling on. will check in at some point.

jw

I wouldn't put it all on the coach, or Fewell for that matter. It's just like with the offensive line - the coach will give you the tools to block, but you have to figure out (along with the coach) what tools you need to use during each play. If you don't use it correctly and they've given you multiple ways to get to where you need to get, sometimes the coach just has to grimace and bear it.

Especially when in college where Leodis was known for being a solid press-man corner. The fact that he gives that much of a cushion is a testament to him being burned in practice and at times in games and being worried he will miss his assignment being in a press look.

As far as news goes, despite comments on the board to the contrary, rarely are the Bills in a "Tampa 2" look. Most of the time he has them play a cover 3 or 4, which can have the db press or with a bit (or BIG in some cases with our guys) of a cushion.

yeah i definitely hear ya, thats why i said i dont know and ended my post. the coach can scream al he wants from the sidelines, if the players dont move up on the next play, what can he do? run out on the field and push them? you cant bench your best talent either... again, i dont know. this just puts a whole new spin on the how i watch the games.

So, why don't people get harrassed and bitched at for starting a new thread, with a like to an article that is already posted right on the FRONT page?

Just curious.

because this is the place where we can all discuss that article.

is there another thread about this article?

because this is the place where we can all discuss that article.

is there another thread about this article?

Nope, just curious man. Seemed as if it were a, "Hey I found this article, check it out" type thing. THAT is why I asked. Was not looking to cause any trouble here. :lol:

(I even fixed the lower case "i" for the Language Arts Professors here.) :lol:

Nope, just curious man. Seemed as if it were a, "Hey i found this article, check it out" type thing. THAT is why I asked. Was not looking to cause any trouble here. :lol:

ah, no problem :lol:

and in even better posting etiquette, he didnt copy and paste the entire article (or any of it) and post it here.

i was pretty baffled myself on it, though i think it had more to do with McKelvin's comfort zone at that point in time early in camp than anything else. i had discussed the 10-15 yard cushion with Perry shortly after the Hall of Fame game, and he gave me the same line then.

of course, there has been a big concern as noted in the story how much development time McKelvin lost due to the infected finger. the Bills staff was eager to have McKelvin work against Owens and Evans during that time to get him better accustomed to facing elite receivers.

i think Leodis is, in fact, coming along. Maybin has a way to go, not much is being expected out of him for Saturday's game.

taking a three-day weekend before it all really starts piling on. will check in at some point.

jw

Thanks, JW. It's great to have you on here.