Official Trent Edwards Excuse Thread...

Alphadawg7

Let's add a few more numbers, if nobody has mentioned this yet:

Bills in 2006, the year before TE's first start: 7-9

Bills in 1985, the year before Kelly's first start: 2-14

Colts in 1997, the year before Peyton's first start: 3-13

Giants in 2003, the year before Eli's first start: 4-12

In other words, while Trent took over a team that almost finished .500 and lost five games by a FG or less, the other three inherited some of the worst teams in the league. (THE worst, in Peyton's case, since he was the No. 1 overall pick. The Bills tied with Tampa Bay for that honor in 1985; the Bucs "won" the top pick, and drafted ... Bo Jackson.)

Not to defend anyone, but I think you have a better chance of improving if you are 2-14 than you do if you end the season 7-9. You get much better picks, not just in the first round but every round.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other teams also had far superior Gm's and head coaches, something nobody has mentioned yet.

Really? Kelly only had Marv Levy for the final seven games in 1986, after Hank Bullough (lifetime 4-17 record) was finally, mercifully fired. In fact, all three of the other QBs cited had to deal with coaching changes either before or during their rookie seasons ... meaning that said coaches were probably also installing new systems, which could account for those teams' struggles.

Guest dog14787
This really is the "Official Trent Edwards Excuse Thread". I bet--if the OP knew how you'd carry on--he'd have just linked to your "View Member's Posts" tab and this whole thread wouldn't even be necessary.

By the way, nice job ignoring that question about whether or not Trent will suddenly morph into Manning/Manning/Brady/Montana with 9 more game of experience for like the 4th time.

I already told you, in my opinion this is the year TE breaks through and I'll stand behind that comment so lets continue this discussion at the end of the season. I'm always the first to admit I'm wrong or I've made a mistake. I'm not perfect, far from it and I do make mistakes. At the end of the season if we aren't going to the playoffs I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Guest dog14787
Really? Kelly only had Marv Levy for the final seven games in 1986, after Hank Bullough (lifetime 4-17 record) was finally, mercifully fired. In fact, all three of the other QBs cited had to deal with coaching changes either before or during their rookie seasons ... meaning that said coaches were probably also installing new systems, which could account for those teams' struggles.

I'm not going to argue with that, but the success the other QB's had or are having has allot to do with the GM's and coaching staffs. ( Regardless of how good they actually are)

The funniest thing on this board that I have seen time and time again is the growing list of threads making another excuse for Trent Christ to explain his frequent below average play. For every one good game he has 4 bad games (literally), but the excuse makers hold on to the one good game as "the real Trent" and make excuses and blame others for his bad games. So, rather than have dozens of threads making excuses for him, here is a chance to list em all. This way when he has a bad game we can all just come to this thread and find out who's fault it really was...lmao

To get you started, here are some popular ones, including the most recent I saw that inspired this thread...

1. Turk

2. DJ

3. Gameday Preperation

4. Jason Peters Holdout

5. And the most recent and my favorite...Lee Evans isnt good enough

I could easily list another dozen, but will let others...

I am just wondering when everyone is going to stop blaming everyone else for his struggles and realize the kid hasnt put it together yet and he is still a stuggling young QB. Hopefully he gets there, our season depends on it, but I havent seen anything in the Preseason that suggests he has improved on his worst attribute which is reading the defense. He doesnt see coverages well or fast enough causing him to make throws late (when going downfield), not see open recievers, check down too often, and hold the ball too long leading to bad sacks and lots of fumbles.

I hear he can't throw downfield because he can't see over Langston Walker's big dome.

I already told you, in my opinion this is the year TE breaks through and I'll stand behind that comment so lets continue this discussion at the end of the season. I'm always the first to admit I'm wrong or I've made a mistake. I'm not perfect, far from it and I do make mistakes. At the end of the season if we aren't going to the playoffs I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

It's great to be optimistic and positive and all but any realist knows this team is nowhere near playoff caliber.

This years schedule says about 6-10, 5-11, 7-9, somewhere in that neighborhood. I hope i'm wrong though because that would be a very pleasant suprise, but I just don't see that happening.

It's great to be optimistic and positive and all but any realist knows this team is nowhere near playoff caliber.

This years schedule says about 6-10, 5-11, 7-9, somewhere in that neighborhood. I hope i'm wrong though because that would be a very pleasant suprise, but I just don't see that happening.

Over the years I’ve found that I tend to hang on to quarter backs way too long. I’m usually the last person to give up on someone, long after it’s obvious that they just don’t have what it takes to make it in the NFL. I was enamored with all the Physical tools that Rob Johnson had. He could make all the throws. I kept telling myself that injury prone players don’t exist, it’s just a matter of bad luck and terrible timing. Then with JP, I loved his cannon for an arm. I knew he didn’t have sh-- for touch and that he couldn’t read a defense but I kept believing all of that would eventually come along.

And now with Edwards. I know he doesn’t have a rocket for an arm but it’s more than enough to succeed in the NFL. He has shown that he can make all the throws and we all know he is smart. The game just doesn’t seem to be slowing down enough for him. I think much Like JP, playing behind a miserable excuse for an offensive line has really stunted his growth and he may never develop confidence in the pocket. But just like with Johnson and JP, I’m still holding on to hope that things will start to slow down for him and that this year will be a great one.

I’m giving him three games this season to show me he can make it in this league. I don’t care about the record. If shows improvement each game and his confidence grows, I’ll back him. If he falls flat on his face and regresses or doesn’t show any sign of marked improvement, I’ll finally move on and admit he’s not the next Jim Kelly.

Just my two cents.

Put TE with the Steelers or Patriots and in my opinion he takes them to the playoffs. Some of you folks seem bound and determined our starting QB is not worthy of being a starting QB in the league yet the consensus is throughout the league he can be a good starting QB. I'll take coaches and players ( past and present) opinions over a couple of fruit cakes any day. Especially when I see his potential myself.

I'm going to turn this around. Put Tom Brady or Big Ben on our team last year and we make the playoffs. Especially Big Ben. He makes stuff out of nothing. That's what we need.

To the me the jury is still out on Trent. He could go either way. I hope it's up.

Go Trent !!

Go BILLS !!

The Bills were going to draft Big Ben and the Steeler's took him at #11, the Bills traded up for JP.

I don't know...We may be still a struggling team...remember Ben had already a super-bowl caliber running game and Defense to take them to the SB in 2 seasons....Would he have had the same success with the sucky bills OL and a average defense.....I doubt it.

Guest dog14787
I wonder how many more new excuses will surface to mask how bad Trentative Checkwards is playing...

Sometimes there is no excuse, for the players or for some of the so called fans who would much rather be right so they can gloat rather then have things go right for their football team. :lol:

Sometimes there is no excuse, for the players or for some of the so called fans who would much rather be right so they can gloat rather then have things go right for their football team. :lol:

I wore my Trent jersey all night hoping I was wrong...I am just wondering how many more excuses for him people want to make for tonights game...

I got one:

"Trent was confused and blinded all night because Big Ben kept angling his 2 Superbowl rings at the light and into Trents eyes so he couldnt see like 80% of the field...it was totally not cool of Ben and why Trent stunk again"

Guest dog14787
I wore my Trent jersey all night hoping I was wrong...I am just wondering how many more excuses for him people want to make for tonights game...

I got one:

"Trent was confused and blinded all night because Big Ben kept angling his 2 Superbowl rings at the light and into Trents eyes so he couldnt see like 80% of the field...it was totally not cool of Ben and why Trent stunk again"

Yup, you have all the answers, on another thread you claim the O-line needs to gel, but on this thread we wouldn't dare bring that up now would we.

Yup, you have all the answers, on another thread you claim the O-line needs to gel, but on this thread we wouldn't dare bring that up now would we.

You might have a leg to stand on here if Trent had EVER looked good. Last year, our O Line gave him all kinds of time in the second half of the year and he still stunk.

Also, if you think our O Line is the reason Trent has stunk in pre season then you are not paying attention and clearly dont know what a QB should like in the pocket...

You might have a leg to stand on here if Trent had EVER looked good. Last year, our O Line gave him all kinds of time in the second half of the year and he still stunk.

Also, if you think our O Line is the reason Trent has stunk in pre season then you are not paying attention and clearly dont know what a QB should like in the pocket...

Trent sucks but so does your crusade. Great day for you I guess :lol: