Going to Toronto for the weekend. Any suggestions?

Phlegm Alley

I'm driving up to Syracuse from Philly to stay with my sister on Friday then we're leaving early Saturday morning for Toronto. I was checking out directions and you can either head west through Buffalo or you can head north through Watertown and Kingston. Anyone have any experience with which would be better?

Also, any suggestions on restaurants, nightlife, attractions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I'm driving up to Syracuse from Philly to stay with my sister on Friday then we're leaving early Saturday morning for Toronto. I was checking out directions and you can either head west through Buffalo or you can head north through Watertown and Kingston. Anyone have any experience with which would be better?

Also, any suggestions on restaurants, nightlife, attractions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

This place is a little pricey, but I enjoyed it when I was there a couple years ago.

http://www.thefifthgrill.com/

Google Maps says the down-around Lake Ontario thru Buffalo route is quicker (4hr 10m vs 4hr 45 mn). But then again you'll probably have less traffic and less chance of a border backup going up and around Lake Ontario. You'll have fewer tolls if you head north. I'd probably take the shorter route and pay the increased tolls, but I don't think it's a clear-cut decision.

If you do take the Buffalo route, call 1-800-715-6722, and hit 2 when it picks up to get the latest border delays to see if you want to divert from the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge to the Rainbow bridge - assuming you have a cell phone.

Linky

The Fairmont Royal Oak Hotel is where John Lennon and Yoko stayed in 1969 on their way to Montreal for their bed-in. I don't know the room number but I'm sure they can tell you.

It looks like you won't be staying in a hotel and it's probably much to late to get a room there anyway. I'm just putting it out here so people who plan to stay in Toronto for awhile may want to check into this.

Linky

The Fairmont Royal Oak Hotel is where John Lennon and Yoko stayed in 1969 on their way to Montreal for their bed-in. I don't know the room number but I'm sure they can tell you.

It looks like you won't be staying in a hotel and it's probably much to late to get a room there anyway. I'm just putting it out here so people who plan to stay in Toronto for awhile may want to check into this.

EXCELLENT recommendation. I think its the Royal York though...http://www.fairmont.com/RoyalYork?cm_mmc=icppc-_-Branded-RYH%20-%20Royal%20York%20-%20Canada-_-google-_-royal+york+hotel Great railroad hotel with a lot of history and I've stayed there a number of times. first rate.

bring your passport

The Keg Steakhouse is absolutely fantastic. Everytime I've been there I've found myself saying that it was the best steak I had ever had. There are a couple different locations throughout Toronto. The two I've been to are on Yonge Street and York Street.

It's been a while but the Keg Mansion is really kinda cool. Not sure if it is still good but It used to be. It's on Jarvis street. We used to go there before or after Leaf games

The Ontario Science Centre is worthwhile. And the Royal Museum.

http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

http://www.rom.on.ca/families.php

Be sure to stop at a roadside stand and have fries with malt vinegar!

TOR is one of the world's great international cities. Ask the concierge at where you are staying. He will point you wherever you want to go, tell him what your predilections may be, etc. Drop a five on the dish.