Ha -- Edwards calls out Sully

eball

And the cycle turns, as we're less than two years removed from "you're the expert buddy" reply to Sully.

Edwards, the next ex-Bill whose professional obit was presaged by Sullivan?

Bingo. In passionate sports towns, the absolute last thing you want to do is p*ss off an influential member of the media. That person can turn the tide of popular opinion against you so fast, you'll be begging for a contract release.

Edwards should have taken the high road, instead he's following to a tee JP Losman's Guide to Getting Run Out of the NFL™.

1) Quietly call out coaches

2) Openly challenge the media

3) Play in the UFL.

As much as many of us want to see Trent succeed, his play over the final games last year (the ones JP didn't start) in combination with a very lack-lustre preseason has many of us wondering if this is just another RJ, JP, incarnation but with a little more smarts and a weaker arm.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain and Simple:

Edwards needs to put his receivers in positions where they can make plays more often than he does now. It's not that he "won't throw the deep pass" or the "playcalling sucks" it's the fact that Edwards won't go to a receiver unless he's WIDE open. That's a problem. Watch the great ones play, they're not afraid to make the tight throws or allow their guys to go up and get it. Trent too often waits for the perfect pass and that, more than anything, is what he has to get over.

Bingo. In passionate sports towns, the absolute last thing you want to do is p*ss off an influential member of the media. That person can turn the tide of popular opinion against you so fast, you'll be begging for a contract release.

Edwards should have taken the high road, instead he's following to a tee JP Losman's Guide to Getting Run Out of the NFL™.

1) Quietly call out coaches

2) Openly challenge the media

3) Play in the UFL.

As much as many of us want to see Trent succeed, his play over the final games last year (the ones JP didn't start) in combination with a very lack-lustre preseason has many of us wondering if this is just another RJ, JP, incarnation but with a little more smarts and a weaker arm.

Are you kidding? His play on the field will dictate how he is perceived, not an angry weasel sportswriter. Do you remember how Kelly, Smith and others were portrayed by our local writers? I would have told Sullivan to stick it, also.

Are you kidding? His play on the field will dictate how he is perceived, not an angry weasel sportswriter. Do you remember how Kelly, Smith and others were portrayed by our local writers? I would have told Sullivan to stick it, also.

What was the genesis of Sully's diatribe then?

Or, how about this? Maybe, just maybe the team is waiting until the season begins to actually open up the playbook for mass consumption. Why give Bill B any sneak peaks?

A clever plan that .... risk injury to your starters for a quarter while not letting them gain experience with each other running the "real plays" in order to show Bill B. who the better coach is. I suspect Bill B. already knows who the better coach is.

I have been a trent edwards supporter for a couple of years now but even my patience is running thin. The biggest thing that bothers me is that he is not able to forget what happened the play before. Many announcers say all great/good quarterbacks are able to forget the play before and push through adversity. Now I think we can all agree that Edwards is not one of these guys. Also, Edward firing back at sully is another sign of how he is easily flustered. To me, he seems like a rich California kid who gets all butt-hurt when someone says something bad about him. Dont get me wrong, I still want him to succeed but the same can be said about rob johnson, and jp losman, and we all know how that went. It should be mentioned that Jim Kelly called trent edwards out too, saying that a few times when he was watching trent, he wouldn't look down the field and just opted for a checkdown throw. Pretty much the same thing that sully is saying.

Trent just grow a pair and lets wreak some havoc this year.

GO BILLS!

Plain and Simple:

Edwards needs to put his receivers in positions where they can make plays more often than he does now. It's not that he "won't throw the deep pass" or the "playcalling sucks" it's the fact that Edwards won't go to a receiver unless he's WIDE open. That's a problem. Watch the great ones play, they're not afraid to make the tight throws or allow their guys to go up and get it. Trent too often waits for the perfect pass and that, more than anything, is what he has to get over.

That's a common problem for young QBs, and perhaps the area in which the arrival of TO will provide the greatest benefits. Once Trentative learns he can throw the ball to a "covered" TO and still get a positive result, his confidence will hopefully blossom. Note I said "hopefully," as I too am wary of what's going on with this offense.

It's heresy to even mention Trentative Checkwards (love that) and Jim Kelly in the same sentence...BUT...in the Cleveland Monday-nighter a year ago, TE had a horrible first half (3 picks?) yet led the team downfield in the 4th quarter and put them in position to win. I think he bounced back well and showed confidence in that situation.

I don't know what to make of Edwards right now. I want to see some swagger; I just read his comments directed at Sully as evidence of a little bit of frustration bubbling to the surface, and perhaps a realization that he needs to take control.

Fair enough, I hope he is getting frustrated and will take control. I've been an Edwards fan and I think he has it in him. He led some nice wins at the beginning of last year and threw with confidence (I know, poor competition, but still, NFL teams). I just hope he can get back there. I see TO is out of the lineup this weekend again.....doesn't look like we will see him til the 14th.

I understood the poster to say that going after a reporter would get Edwards run out of town more than his play.

It's circular. The columnist vulture pounces on the weak, when it's become obvious to most well before that.

A master of the craft would have written that piece last year, when these things were in clear view. But the primary plan last year was to ride JP out on a rail and ignore the budding problem with Edwards' game.

No different than what happened with the coronation of McGahee when Henry got pushed aside, shortly followed by McGahee's curb tossing with Lynch on deck of the leaping edge.

The play on the field matters, but so does the public perception which is heavily flavored by what they read, watch or hear from the "professionals."

A clever plan that .... risk injury to your starters for a quarter while not letting them gain experience with each other running the "real plays" in order to show Bill B. who the better coach is. I suspect Bill B. already knows who the better coach is.

A clever rouse indeed - :)