Burress

nucci

What a country. Burress hurt nobody except for himself, but he's going to spend more time in prison than Michael Vick and Donte Stallworth combined. Not saying Burress doesn't deserve a short stint behind bars, but 2 years is overkill IMO.

Agree 100%. I hate guns but given the Sean Taylor case and other robberies to athletes, I can understand if a millionaire in NYC carries a weapon. PB isn't trying to shoot anyone and the fact he is remembered as huge idiot for life is almost punishment enough.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're prosecuted....

I guarantee you that if Burress were a guy off the street, the DA would reduce the charges, they'd plead out, and he'd be on probation.

There are so many scumbag criminals that do much worse things that constantly run through the criminal justice system, and they spend little to no time in prison.

But if you got a famous defendant, then look out! It's ridiculous.

The DAs office would have likely never heard about it if Plax was not famous. They only got wind of it because he is such a high profile guy. The hospital never reported it to police remember...

If you're prosecuted....

I guarantee you that if Burress were a guy off the street, the DA would reduce the charges, they'd plead out, and he'd be on probation.

There are so many scumbag criminals that do much worse things that constantly run through the criminal justice system, and they spend little to no time in prison.

But if you got a famous defendant, then look out! It's ridiculous.

Really! I mean, look at Stallworth--if he wasn't a famous defendant, he would have gotten, at most, a speeding ticket after he killed that guy.

Sean Taylor was shot in his houseby robbers. He was not attacked in a club. There was no law preventing him form keeping a weapon in his home.

The Giants reported the incident to the police, so it's unlikely that the DA would "likely never heard about it".

You 'guarantee'? Based on what? Your experiences in Ann Arbor give you that much insight into criminal prosecutions in NYC? If this had been Joe Schmo, he wouldn't have made bail and sat in prison awaiting prosecution.

Folks, this isn't a big surprise. A concealed weapon in NYC is a SERIOUS CRIME. Especially if you are dumb enough to discharge it. Inside a crowded club. It's only blind luck that the gun wasn't pointed elsewhere and some innocent kid killed, so spare me the sympathy for Plax.

Agree 100%. I hate guns but given the Sean Taylor case and other robberies to athletes, I can understand if a millionaire in NYC carries a weapon. PB isn't trying to shoot anyone and the fact he is remembered as huge idiot for life is almost punishment enough.

I agree with Caveman too -- the difference in NYC between the Dinkins era and now is night and day. However, suggesting that a millionaire needs to carry a gun is absolutely ridiculous. Athletes who get shot almost invariably get shot outside some seedy nightclub at 3 am after their buddies started some fight (and Sean Taylor was a known thug with his own record for gun play so let's not use that as the excuse). If guys are that worried about their safety, they can go home at a reasonable hour and not wear $50,000 worth of jewelry everywhere they go.

Do you see millionaire Wall Street guys or millionaire real estate moguls in NYC carrying guns? How about millionaire actors who are easily recognizable all over NYC every day? Does Trump carry a gun when he goes out to dinner? I doubt it.

Again, to all the posters complaining that the sentence is too harsh, do you live in NYC? When was the last time you visited? Because there aren't many people who actually live here who complain about these laws. I have to worry about my wife's safety every day when she goes to work, she works in public schools throughout the city, mostly in terrible neighborhoods, and has come home in tears numerous times following shootings in the vicinity of her schools.

If Plax, or anyone else wants to carry a gun in NYC, let them register it, and carry it legally. Otherwise, stay outside of NYC.

You 'guarantee'? Based on what? Your experiences in Ann Arbor give you that much insight into criminal prosecutions in NYC? If this had been Joe Schmo, he wouldn't have made bail and sat in prison awaiting prosecution.

Folks, this isn't a big surprise. A concealed weapon in NYC is a SERIOUS CRIME. Especially if you are dumb enough to discharge it. Inside a crowded club. It's only blind luck that the gun wasn't pointed elsewhere and some innocent kid killed, so spare me the sympathy for Plax.

I agree with Caveman too -- the difference in NYC between the Dinkins era and now is night and day. However, suggesting that a millionaire needs to carry a gun is absolutely ridiculous. Athletes who get shot almost invariably get shot outside some seedy nightclub at 3 am after their buddies started some fight (and Sean Taylor was a known thug with his own record for gun play so let's not use that as the excuse). If guys are that worried about their safety, they can go home at a reasonable hour and not wear $50,000 worth of jewelry everywhere they go.

Do you see millionaire Wall Street guys or millionaire real estate moguls in NYC carrying guns? How about millionaire actors who are easily recognizable all over NYC every day? Does Trump carry a gun when he goes out to dinner? I doubt it.

No but Trump's body guard does.

I think that the sentence is perfectly fair. No permit to carry, discharging in public.

Say what you want about Vick, but his actions were not going to get anybody killed. Stallworth made out like a bandit, but Vick/Burress got what was coming to them, IMO.

And to the poster above who was talking about Harrison, you're absolutely right. That was a serious meltdown of the legal system, and IMO, so was the Stallworth case.

I think that the sentence is perfectly fair. No permit to carry, discharging in public.

Say what you want about Vick, but his actions were not going to get anybody killed. Stallworth made out like a bandit, but Vick/Burress got what was coming to them, IMO.

And to the poster above who was talking about Harrison, you're absolutely right. That was a serious meltdown of the legal system, and IMO, so was the Stallworth case.

Your avatar just caused some pukeage.

Shudder.....

No, not based on the fact that I lived in Ann Arbor 6 years ago (and chose a poor screen name)--but based on my experience as a lawyer.

But I'm guessing you're not a criminal lawyer in New York.

People seem to be missing a pretty big point that all laws are not the same in all places. Maybe in Florida or Texas it wouldn't have been a big deal, but it is in New York City. And pretty much everyone who lives or works there knows it.

And famous defendants have not gotten off easier over the years BECAUSE they have the $ or top lawyers?

It works both ways.

IMO, money usually buys lighter sentences when the person isn't a celebrity.

Thanks for that article. :wallbash:

His gun was unregistered. That's a big part of the problem, I think.

Ben Roethlisberger hired body guards when he was a rookie and a lot of guys on the team thought he was a prima donna but now a lot of the Steelers do the same thing. That's the way to go, IMO.

Well, I've had civil and criminal cases both upstate and downstate in New York, but you're right, I'm not criminal defense attorney in NYC. But my point wasn't to argue what the law is, but instead how the game is played. Prosecutors have unbridled discretion; and in a city like New York, the prosecutors aren't going hard on the "top charges" all of the time. It's easier to get a guy on a gun charge but plead it down quickly. Burress suffered a worse fate here because he was famous, Bloomberg got involved, and they wanted to make an example of him.

You may be right that many people might get a less severe plea agreement when charged with illegal gun ownership in NYC. But I would guess that anyone who shoots themselves in a crowded nightclub would draw enough publicity to get at least this sentence, especially when considering how cut and dry the case is.

PB carried a loaded unregistered weapon into a night club and discharged it. He's very lucky he didn't shoot someone else or he'd be done for sure. That's a pretty serious offense and because it happened in NY, he should feel somewhat lucky to only do 20 months.