Gallup Poll Shocker

Magox

Not working!!

According to most Americans that were polled.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...us-not-working/

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Six months after the $787 billion economic stimulus package became law, a new poll indicates a majority of Americans don't think it's working.

Fifty-seven percent of those questioned in a USA Today/Gallup survey released Monday say the federal stimulus has had no effect on the economy so far, or has made things worse. Just over four in 10 say the stimulus has made things better.

and that's with the stock market rallying.

What will happen when the rally stalls?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not working!!

According to most Americans that were polled.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...us-not-working/

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Six months after the $787 billion economic stimulus package became law, a new poll indicates a majority of Americans don't think it's working.

Fifty-seven percent of those questioned in a USA Today/Gallup survey released Monday say the federal stimulus has had no effect on the economy so far, or has made things worse. Just over four in 10 say the stimulus has made things better.

and that's with the stock market rallying.

What will happen when the rally stalls?

When?

I think the people who don't feel the stimulus is working just don't understand the stimulus. Let me explain to help them.

First of all, despite everyone in the world calling it a stimulus package, it's not really a stimulus package. It's a recovery package. So let's get that out of the way right now.

Second, while the stimulus package was sold as something that needed to be passed immediately to stop the world from crumbling to tiny pieces, the recovery package actually was never meant to work for another two years or so.

Third, as long as the economy is down, it's important to remember that only 7% of the recovery package has been spent. However, at any time the economy seems like it's recovering, it's important to remember that the stimulus package saved the US from the brink of disaster. Except when indicators show that the economy is not recovering, then please see the 7% excuse.

And yet in spite of all this, liberals still can't figure out why DC is having trouble selling health care reform. Or health insurance reform. Or whatever the focus groups tell them to call it this week.

dunno

No I mean not when the rally stalls, it seems to have. Great stimulate the economy by giving money to a slim sector of the population, people that need or qualify for a new car. I don't need a new car so it didn't help me. If you're going to stimulate the economy you don't give money to banks and auto manufacturers. You give it to people to spend.

No I mean not when the rally stalls, it seems to have. Great stimulate the economy by giving money to a slim sector of the population, people that need or qualify for a new car. I don't need a new car so it didn't help me. If you're going to stimulate the economy you don't give money to banks and auto manufacturers. You give it to people to spend.

Kinda like NY with the $200 for school supplies? The beer, cigarettes and video game industry were stimulated. The best way IMO is to cut/keep taxes low and have the government spend less (You know, like not spend $18 mil on a website to track the Stimulus).

I'm awaiting for the economy to turn around (as it always was going to without the stimulus) and when it does somebody say "OK, we're in good shape now, I guess we don't need the other 90% of the stimulus" and to see Obama spin his wheels about why all that money is still needed.

Just out of curiosity...

What does everyone want to happen next IF the economy goes down a ton?

1. Do nothing and hope.

2. Do something and hope.

3. No worries, our market will correct itself.

3 please, always has and always will unless the govt f-s it up.

I think the people who don't feel the stimulus is working just don't understand the stimulus. Let me explain to help them.

First of all, despite everyone in the world calling it a stimulus package, it's not really a stimulus package. It's a recovery package. So let's get that out of the way right now.

Second, while the stimulus package was sold as something that needed to be passed immediately to stop the world from crumbling to tiny pieces, the recovery package actually was never meant to work for another two years or so.

Third, as long as the economy is down, it's important to remember that only 7% of the recovery package has been spent. However, at any time the economy seems like it's recovering, it's important to remember that the stimulus package saved the US from the brink of disaster. Except when indicators show that the economy is not recovering, then please see the 7% excuse.

Good post. Stimulus (like cash for clunkers etc. ....$8000 home rebate etc. ) is really just spending a lot of money to move demand forward. It is a recovery package.

Most of the country doesn't realize the stimulus probably just saved 10-20% of their teaching staff for their kids schools without raising local taxes. It is hard to look at something like that and say it worked when it looks like there has been no change.

Good post. Stimulus (like cash for clunkers etc. ....$8000 home rebate etc. ) is really just spending a lot of money to move demand forward. It is a recovery package.

Most of the country doesn't realize the stimulus probably just saved 10-20% of their teaching staff for their kids schools without raising local taxes. It is hard to look at something like that and say it worked when it looks like there has been no change.

I'm not sure if you knew, you probably did, but LA Billz used this thing called sarcasm. He was telegraphing Dogs response.

Let's face it, it has been a disaster, they have been terribly slow in doling out the money to all these "shovel ready" projects that they said would be alotted, it just shows you how ineffective the government is when it comes to getting things done in an efficient manner. Has it done some good, of course, but is it worth the 787 Billion dollar expense that has added to the deficit, most likely not?

There is little doubt in my mind that if that money was sent to the tax payers in form of checks, it would of been even more effective than this sham of a Bill, all though I would even be opposed to that as well.

This is Beauracracy at it's worst.

PBills, in response to your question. #3

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Thomas Jefferson

Stimulus (like cash for clunkers etc. ....$8000 home rebate etc. ) is really just spending a lot of borrowed money plus a $100 million/day interest rate to speed up purchases, many of which would have taken place in due time.

Minor editing, and you're right on the money. :lol:

Just out of curiosity...

What does everyone want to happen next IF the economy goes down a ton?

1. Do nothing and hope.

2. Do something and hope.

3. No worries, our market will correct itself.

I say all 3 if the subject for "do" in #1 is the government and the subject in #2 is the free market.