Jason Peters Interview on ESPN.com

LynchMob23

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think he meant to say exactly what he said - THE work ethic is stronger here.

We can agree to disagree about this but I'd like to make a point or 2. I think most of us are pretty familiar with the definition of "work ethic" but since everyone likes internet references here's the definition from "free dictionary"

work ethic

n.

A set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence.

--------

Work ethic is a set of values, meaning they can change based on the situation, personal character, etc. Just because Dick Jauron runs a less physically demanding training camp doesn't mean that there is a lower work ethic on the Bills. It just means that DJ emphasizes other components of the game.

But when Jason Peters comes out and says that there's a stronger work ethic in Philly because they make him run a bunch of sprints and/or is more physically demanding, that says to me that the more physical demands has led him to perceive a stronger work ethic which in turn has probably forced him to upgrade his own work ethic/values, and hence my correction to his statement.

What happens to JP's work ethic over the next couple years knowing he now makes big money? I don't know, but certainly many around here have debated this issue and used it as justification why he wasn't re-signed by management.

Running a tough camp doesnt equate to success necessarily. It helps when you have talented players, Mcnabb westbook just to name a few, who are heads and shoulders above whoever the bills have had over the years. THat is a far better indicator of success.

Remember how easy the bills camps were during the Glory Days during the super bowl runs??

I started a thread a few weeks back about how easy our camp looked. Seems I was right, we have to have one of the easiest camps in the league. It shows on Sundays too.

Maybe we send our guys to participate in Miami's training camp... we won't need to make any cuts that way....the weaker guys will just quit. And those that survive will show us some football. :w00t:

He doesn't seem too stupid to me. He got a huge new contract, and now plays for a team that will contend for the Superbowl -all of this following an off-year.

With the injuries, unsettled O-Line, & Johnson's death, I would not be surprised to see the Eagles finish last in the East.

With the injuries, unsettled O-Line, & Johnson's death, I would not be surprised to see the Eagles finish last in the East.

Well, I happen to think the opposite, that offense is going to be deadly, and the defense was pretty good to begin with. Plus, wouldn't they rally around the death of Johnson? That is, after the initial shock wears off.

Peters treated the Bills the way he was treated by them - concerned about the business side first, winning second. Good for him that he is able to experience a different team management style and team attitude.

wrongo. the bills honored the contract negotiated in good faith with three years remaining on it. jason peters violated the contract that was negotiated in good faith. that's why fines accrued. his behavior was pretty much the opposite of what the bills did to him.

we'll have to wait and see how quickly the eagles rush to the table to renegotiate his contract next year when he feels he's being cheated again to really figure out if the eagles might have a different attitude about him.

Well, I happen to think the opposite, that offense is going to be deadly, and the defense was pretty good to begin with. Plus, wouldn't they rally around the death of Johnson? That is, after the initial shock wears off.

Johnson was one of the BEST at running the defense on game day. There is no way they can replace him. Take away a GREAT DC insert a NEW average DC & the results will be noticeable on the field on Sundays. MANY on this board are saying Trent won't have time to throw. Well McNabb may not have time to throw either. The Philly line has undergone as much upheaval as Buffalo's & theirs is injured as well. We will see by the end of the season who was right you or me.

Johnson was one of the BEST at running the defense on game day. There is no way they can replace him. Take away a GREAT DC insert a NEW average DC & the results will be noticeable on the field on Sundays. MANY on this board are saying Trent won't have time to throw. Well McNabb may not have time to throw either. The Philly line has undergone as much upheaval as Buffalo's & theirs is injured as well. We will see by the end of the season who was right you or me.

His blind side he will be relatively safe JP will take care to keep that huge contract intact.

TE blind side, on the other hand...

His blind side he will be relatively safe JP will take care to keep that huge contract intact.

TE blind side, on the other hand...

You may be right about that................when JP is healthy. Like others on the NEW Eagles O-Line however, he has missed games due to injury & he has a LOT of money guaranteed.

Apparently ends interview distracted by Mort's Bus

Two parts stuck out...

One would say having such a simplified playbook would lead to learning the blocking schemes easier...oh, wait....

I love the Eagles and Andy Reid is a phenomenal coach. But because the Bills play in a tougher division and couldn't back into the playoffs (remember, the Eagles were "out of it" by Thanksgiving) he's taken the "we're in it for the SuperBowl every year" route...fair enough..

Thoughts?

An interview of Jason Peters is a waste of air time. Did Peters have a wonderlic score?

Peters treated the Bills the way he was treated by them - concerned about the business side first, winning second. Good for him that he is able to experience a different team management style and team attitude.

Really? How do you know that he was treated that badly by management? Certainly I agree with you in that they should have signed Peters before things got out-of-hand but management has shown the willingness to adjust the contracts of people like Schoebel and even Peters himself when he went from undrafted FA to RT. Russ Brandon even seemed to think they needed to give him a new contract. Maybe the way Peters handled the situation was completely unprofessional. Maybe multiple people in the front office had seen potential issues with Peter's dedication and effort to his job and worried that a fat new contract would turn him into a Mike Williams. ALso, seems to me JP was more concerned about the business of making the most money possible at the expense of his team, his contract, and his play on the field.

I don't know how this situation all played out so how can you just blame management?

Really? How do you know that he was treated that badly by management? Certainly I agree with you in that they should have signed Peters before things got out-of-hand but management has shown the willingness to adjust the contracts of people like Schoebel and even Peters himself when he went from undrafted FA to RT. Russ Brandon even seemed to think they needed to give him a new contract. Maybe the way Peters handled the situation was completely unprofessional. Maybe multiple people in the front office had seen potential issues with Peter's dedication and effort to his job and worried that a fat new contract would turn him into a Mike Williams. ALso, seems to me JP was more concerned about the business of making the most money possible at the expense of his team, his contract, and his play on the field.

I don't know how this situation all played out so how can you just blame management?

I don't know much in depth here, I do have opinions though. I have been around Pittsburgh for 25+ years now and I see how an organization like the Steelers or Penguins that is committed to winning behaves. I also have seen how the Pittsburgh Pirates have treated their players.

Really the way the NFL is run now, playing for an undervalued contract is unprofessional. If JP had gotten hurt such that he was unable to continue his career do you think the Bills would have paid him his full contract? I also would state that he got what he wanted, didn't he? And it's not like the Eagles are the Raiders.

I have never heard anything from JP other than he wanted to be paid appropriately for the position he was playing. The question was where in the pecking order of that position do you put him. The Bills did make a great commitment to him when he first went from TE to RT but nothing when he went from RT to LT, and from what I can tell that's where the issue is. He played what, 2 years at LT before contact issues came to a head.

My point is that when the organization does not value winning first, the players sense that and look even more toward the financial side. There aren't hometown discounts from the top players. I thought JP's comments were very telling about some of the attitude in the locker room. This all sucks for the fans, but it's what we have. You can put as much blame on JP as you like, or talk about how he is going to balk once his contract gets outdated, but unfortunately for us he played the game and in the end he won and we lost.

Maybe? I'd say most definately.

The Bills treated him so badly they made him a millionare after only a couple seasons removed from being a street FA that was waived and NOBODY claimed off the wire. Yeah, the Bills really did him wrong. Was he underpaid given his development into a premier LT? Absolutely! Is that unfair? Absolutely! Did the Bills say they would negotiate a new deal IF he came into camp like they've done with so many others? Absolutely! Did JP end up coming to camp? No! Did he act unprofessionally? In EVERY sense of the word! Did he screw his teammates in the process? Absolutely! Did he show all the signs of repeating the same behaviour this offseason? Absolutely! Are the Bills and Eagles both better off? Absolutely!

Good luck in Philly, JP. I sincerely wish him well. No reason not to.

But he's a closed chapter and it's time to move on.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe? I'd say most definately.

The Bills treated him so badly they made him a millionare after only a couple seasons removed from being a street FA that was waived and NOBODY claimed off the wire. Yeah, the Bills really did him wrong. Was he underpaid given his development into a premier LT? Absolutely! Is that unfair? Absolutely! Did the Bills say they would negotiate a new deal IF he came into camp like they've done with so many others? Absolutely! Did JP end up coming to camp? No! Did he act unprofessionally? In EVERY sense of the word! Did he screw his teammates in the process? Absolutely! Did he show all the signs of repeating the same behaviour this offseason? Absolutely! Are the Bills and Eagles both better off? Absolutely!

Good luck in Philly, JP. I sincerely wish him well. No reason not to.

But he's a closed chapter and it's time to move on.

GO BILLS!!!

Similar thing happened to James Harrison and the Steelers? The steelers dropped him twice and Baltimore dropped him once, it happens. All he's done is go on and win the Defensive mvp. Hines Ward was not in camp a few years ago but he got his deal done.

The chapter is closed, but the book is still open. Can't wait for the next chapter. :nana: