Taking the Barometer of the Bills' playoff chances

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that it has left my mind.....but the situation is bleak. Like someone else said...if we had gone 1-3 in the first four and 3-1 in the last four I'd like our chances...but not now. Not with a roadie in Seattle and NE still on the schedule.

I think we'll finish 5-3 in our last 8.

Not likely. I am content with progress and winning football the rest of the way which sets up a lot of optimism for next year. Too big of an early hole this year and not convinced about road play after Baltimore fiasco. Love to be proven wrong though.

I can't say that it has left my mind.....but the situation is bleak. Like someone else said...if we had gone 1-3 in the first four and 3-1 in the last four I'd like our chances...but not now. Not with a roadie in Seattle and NE still on the schedule.

I think we'll finish 5-3 in our last 8.

110203[/snapback]

As a fan, all I want to see is constant improvement from one game to the next. It felt so good on Sunday to see the Bills play well again. It was something that had been missing since the Jacksonville game last year (that's a LONG time to wait!).

The realist in me knows the playoffs are a long shot and perhaps unreachable. But I am also well aware that how a team FINISHES a season is a great indicator as to how that team will play in the next season. So if the Bills can go 6-2, or 7-1 or even 5-3 through the second half of the season I will be very happy and the outlook will look good for next season.

But the fan in me says, the Bills aren't KO'd yet. If they win on Sunday night I feel they will be in a very good position to make a serious run at a wildcard. Nothing is more important in football than confidence (NE is a great example of this as they are the most confident team in the league). And *if* the Bills can win in NE it will cement all the confidence they have built over the past 4 games making them a very tough team to beat down the stretch.

So it's a constant battle in my head between the realist and the fan. That being said, I am just looking forward to watching the Bills play good football again on Sunday. If they play well, everything else will sort itself out.

As a fan, all I want to see is constant improvement from one game to the next. It felt so good on Sunday to see the Bills play well again. It was something that had been missing since the Jacksonville game last year (that's a LONG time to wait!).

The realist in me knows the playoffs are a long shot and perhaps unreachable. But I am also well aware that how a team FINISHES a season is a great indicator as to how that team will play in the next season. So if the Bills can go 6-2, or 7-1 or even 5-3 through the second half of the season I will be very happy and the outlook will look good for next season.

But the fan in me says, the Bills aren't KO'd yet. If they win on Sunday night I feel they will be in a very good position to make a serious run at a wildcard. Nothing is more important in football than confidence (NE is a great example of this as they are the most confident team in the league). And *if* the Bills can win in NE it will cement all the confidence they have built over the past 4 games making them a very tough team to beat down the stretch.

So it's a constant battle in my head between the realist and the fan. That being said, I am just looking forward to watching the Bills play good football again on Sunday. If they play well, everything else will sort itself out.

110234[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'll root like hell for them to make the playoffs, even though in my head, I know it is nearly impossible.

We have about the same chance of making the playoffs as a Snickers bar has of making it out of Rosie O'Donnels grasp.....

Not that I don't fantasize about that snickers bar making its way out of her clutches...but seriously??? No

If the Bills come out the next three games [Pats, Rams, Seagulls] with two wins, it's possible.

The Pats at home is our toughest remaining game (making assumption about the Steelers.)

The Rams at Ralph are beatable, especially if the weather cooperates.

Seahawks at home are rough. Their D is playing well and their O seems to be starting to click.

Then we have the Dolphins, Browns, Bengals and 49ers...all possible wins.

I'm hoping the Steelers have sewn up the AFC by week 17 and rest their starters. They help the Bills win and spite Baltimore....could happen [shrug]

If the Bills come out the next three games [Pats, Rams, Seagulls] with two wins, it's possible.

The Pats at home is our toughest remaining game (making assumption about the Steelers.)

The Rams at Ralph are beatable, especially if the weather cooperates.

Seahawks at home are rough. Their D is playing well and their O seems to be starting to click.

Then we have the Dolphins, Browns, Bengals and 49ers...all possible wins.

I'm hoping the Steelers have sewn up the AFC by week 17 and rest their starters. They help the Bills win and spite Baltimore....could happen [shrug]

110531[/snapback]

The Seahawks "D" is playing well? Pass the blunt, brother. :D

The Seahawks "D" is playing well?  Pass the blunt, brother.  :D

110535[/snapback]

I meant er.... the first 3 games they played well.

[Reminds self not to mix real world stats with fantasy stats]

Well, things the schedule looks brighter now, doesn't it? Now don't bogart the blunt and pass it back.

How many of you believe the Bills make the playoffs this year?

Start rooting hard against the Jets, Jaguars, Ravens, Chargers, Texans and Chiefs.

If you somehow pull out a win this week, 4-5 is still a steep hill to climb when you're talking about catching the Ravens or the Broncos/Chargers loser (each team 6-3) 

After this week, I'll wish you luck.

110031[/snapback]

I think the Bills can go 7-9.

How many of you believe the Bills make the playoffs this year?

Start rooting hard against the Jets, Jaguars, Ravens, Chargers, Texans and Chiefs.

If you somehow pull out a win this week, 4-5 is still a steep hill to climb when you're talking about catching the Ravens or the Broncos/Chargers loser (each team 6-3) 

After this week, I'll wish you luck.

110031[/snapback]

The way Willis is running the ball and knowing that he's not 100% yet, I feel pretty confident. That in conjunction with our defense and special teams makes anything possible. Let me ask you this, as a Patriots fan, how much of a concern is facing McGahee at this point?

The way Willis is running the ball and knowing that he's not 100% yet, I feel pretty confident. That in conjunction with our defense and special teams makes anything possible. Let me ask you this, as a Patriots fan, how much of a concern is facing McGahee at this point?

110707[/snapback]

While I'm somewhat concerned about McGahee's talent, I'm not any more concerned with him than I was with the likes of Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, Curtis Martin and Marshall Faulk. When E. James carved us up, it was in part because we game planned to stop Peyton Manning and not bite on his play action. Had we tried to solely stop James, he would have passed for 500+ yds. If we do that to McGahee, what will Drew do?

The 0-4 start buried this season.

Only DT Pat Williams and FS Izell Reese ( Ha,ha,ha! ) are unsigned for 2005. Edwards could replace Williams so the Defense will not drop off. Have a feeling Williams will return. Finding a Free Safety is a must !

On Offense, MaGahee has energized the entire unit. Evans is emerging. Moulds may have to redo his high contract ( 8.75 Mil for 2005 ) but will probably return. Losman may be our QB. The non-existent Offense is FINALLY showing something. More work on the OL during the March FA signing period and Draft day.

Special Teams has gone from terrible to one of the better units in the NFL. Moorman was always solid but everything else was putrid. What a turnaround.

Mularkey is learning his team and needs to forget the trick plays until Losman is starting. Learning from his mistakes. Sharp guy.

Conclusion - No false hope during the upcoming off-season. Bills will finish better than they started and actually be a solid team for 2005 and beyond. I'm being realistic but can see the future is indeed bright. I'll hang my hat on that.