Wood vs Peters

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have recognized the signals, Senny.

First you follow me around. Then, when the interest isn't returned, you start to say bad things about me. Yet you anticipate where I'll go and you go there first and talk about me.

Very cute, Senny. Flattering. But do try to get over it. It's hopeless. I'm married to a beautiful woman who is much too good for me.

Someone will turn up for you, though. Although I'm not really sure that a sports site is the best place to look. Anyway, good luck to you, and sorry I have to disappoint you.

How do we know that Wood is better than Levitre?????

My goodness, we haven't even waited until Sunday evening to make these judgements.....let's just give it some time ppl...for all we know , Livitre could end up being better.......and if u think I am crazy, then let me ask u this.....who would u rather have on your team Hardy (2nd rounder) or Johnson (7th rounder).....last year we would have been crazy to ask such a question but this year, I bet the majority would rather have Johnson

Peters allowed 11.5 sacks last season, so if Walker gives up the same amount or less, then it was a good idea to switch Walker to LT.

As long as both Wood & Levitre are as good as advertised, it really doesn't matter who is better, just as long as they make the O-line better and perform well on game day.

Since we received the #28 pick from the Eagles for the Peters trade, it'a safe to compare Peters vs Wood. I know it's still early to make any solid predictions or comparsions, but you can't help but be impressed with Wood. Wood worked out with his old teammate (I forget his name, but plays on the Packers O-line), and packed on about 15 lbs of muscle. His preparation on dedication to Bills already speaks volumes. So far, he's been highly impressive in camp. It would have been nice if Peters had the same work ethic as Wood. Only time will tell if we got the better player.

Yeah, Peters just sat on his butt and stumbled into a pro contract after going undrafted and then stumbled on to the practice squad and then stumbled on to the opening day roster then stumbled on to special teams and then stumbled on to starting at RT and then stumbled on to starting at LT and then stumbled on to the pro bowl. All that despite having no work ethic whatsoever.

No matter what your opinion of Peters is now, you can't rewrite his history to erase the good parts because you hate him now.

And comparing him to Wood is not "safe" its actually ludicrous and unfair to both players. One is a veteran, one is a rookie. One wasn't drafted, one was drafted in the first round and is being paid like it as a rookie. One is a Left Tackle, the other is a Guard. One worked his way from nothing to starter over a period of years, the other was named a starter one week in to his first camp. One made it to the pro bowl, twice and the other hasn't even played a down of preseason football yet.

They do have one thing in common though, they both held out of camp. :thumbsup:

Senny, baby, you have a crush on me, don't you? You can admit it. It will have to be unrequited, I'm sorry about that, but still, very flattering. You seem to be thinking more about me than Susan Miller did during sophomore year, and she practically lived on my doormat and left pools of love drool.

That's two mentions of me already in a thread that I hadn't even posted in.

Blush.

I'm jealous. "The Senator" doesn't call me anymore. How I miss his moronic overtures, his thinly veiled hatreds, his vitriolic tirades, his limitless capacity to mangle the English language, his overtaxed brain cells groping for insults and, most of all, his insistence on turning every friendly discussion about the Bills into an opportunity for him to vent the deep frustrations which so clearly beset him in the real world....ahhhh, good times, good times. Oh to hear his furtive screeches so like the death throes of a rabid squirrel, just once more. *sniffle*

You are so lucky and you don't even know it you glorious bastard. :thumbsup:

Yeah, Peters just sat on his butt and stumbled into a pro contract after going undrafted and then stumbled on to the practice squad and then stumbled on to the opening day roster then stumbled on to special teams and then stumbled on to starting at RT and then stumbled on to starting at LT and then stumbled on to the pro bowl. All that despite having no work ethic whatsoever.

No matter what your opinion of Peters is now, you can't rewrite his history to erase the good parts because you hate him now.

And comparing him to Wood is not "safe" its actually ludicrous and unfair to both players. One is a veteran, one is a rookie. One wasn't drafted, one was drafted in the first round and is being paid like it as a rookie. One is a Left Tackle, the other is a Guard. One worked his way from nothing to starter over a period of years, the other was named a starter one week in to his first camp. One made it to the pro bowl, twice and the other hasn't even played a down of preseason football yet.

They do have one thing in common though, they both held out of camp. :thumbsup:

If the Bills wouldn't have given him a shot on the O-line and had Jim McNally mold him in a good offensive lineman, he would have been out of the NFL already. Don't think so....how many 340 lbs tight ends are there in the league? I already stated that he is a good player with a lot of talent, but when you don't contact your team for months, sit out all the OTA's, minicamp, training camp, show up to work at the last day out of shape (which he didn't play the 1st week) and it takes you another 6 weeks to play decently again, then don't play in the final 2 games of the last 2 seasons (due to mysterious injuries) that screws the team and shows no committment on his part. He's a talented, lazy (at times), greedy SOB.

That's a very poor comparsion on contract hold-outs. Wood stated to the Buffalo news that he wanted to be in Rochester practicing but was told he couldn't until he had a signed contract. There's a humongous difference between waiting for an initial contract to start playing in the NFL, compared to honoring the contract you already signed. Peters deserved the Pro-Bowl nomination in '07, not in '08.

Eric Wood has me really excited about our O-line possibilities because its players like him that will give players like Levitre a big boost in confidence in what our O-line is capable of as a unit.

Myself personally, I couldn't be happier so far. :thumbsup:

I would only be happier if we had drafted M. Oher instead of that stat machine from Penn St. Watch the Rose Bowl as A.M. gets schooled all afternoon and see how happy you are that the 11th pick was used on him.

If the Bills wouldn't have given him a shot on the O-line and had Jim McNally mold him in a good offensive lineman, he would have been out of the NFL already. Don't think so....how many 340 lbs tight ends are there in the league? I already stated that he is a good player with a lot of talent, but when you don't contact your team for months, sit out all the OTA's, minicamp, training camp, show up to work at the last day out of shape (which he didn't play the 1st week) and it takes you another 6 weeks to play decently again, then don't play in the final 2 games of the last 2 seasons (due to mysterious injuries) that screws the team and shows no committment on his part. He's a talented, lazy (at times), greedy SOB.

That's a very poor comparsion on contract hold-outs. Wood stated to the Buffalo news that he wanted to be in Rochester practicing but was told he couldn't until he had a signed contract. There's a humongous difference between waiting for an initial contract to start playing in the NFL, compared to honoring the contract you already signed. Peters deserved the Pro-Bowl nomination in '07, not in '08.

You need to back off of this, I am sorry but you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Peters was on everyone's "sleeper" list and projected to be a project OT by many pre-draft and as an awesome blocking TE by others. He had his pick of teams to go to, a classic case of when it is better to be a UDFA than a 7th rounder. The notion that the Bills generously plucked him from obscurity is crap. Go back and read the scouting reports for that draft before you spout off about what you don't know. He ran a 4.9 40 at the combine at around 320-340 pounds. That got him noticed big time. He was only a junior though and was a TE for a running team and as good a blocker as he was, he was playing TE. Despite being projected to go in the 4th and being listed on almost every mock as among the top 5 or 6 TE's, he was not drafted.

Here is his scouting report from SI:

POSITIVES: Large, athletic tight end that stands out on the field. Blocks with leverage, strength and turns defenders from the play. Annihilates linebackers on the second level, gets movement from run blocks and effective when he stays with the action. Fluid releasing off the line into pass routes, runs well and displays soft hands. Gets vertical for the reception and makes the difficult catch in contorted positions.

ANALYSIS: A physical specimen with great natural gifts, Peters has the skills to be a dominant and complete tight end if not a very athletic left tackle. Will have trouble playing a position at 320 pounds and must shed weight but a prospect with a large upside.

And this from a Steeler draft guru on what picks they should make:

"Tackles aren't sexy enough, so in the third we'll take the acrobatic star of the Rose Bowl, wide receiver Keary Colbert. We can make a tackle out of 340-pound tight end Jason Peters in the fourth..."

Here is a mock that had him going in the fourth round to the Jags and it lists him at TE/OT: Peters to the Jags?

As for not contacting the team for months, thats is BS but all that his extraneous history anyway and hardly worth debating anymore. He is gone, good or bad, its over. The point here is that you are arguing that Peters is lazy and has no work ethic despite his having clawed his way from a UDFA to the pro bowl over several years in this league while you fawn and go weak at the knees over the work ethic of a rookie who was late to his first camp and handed a starting job in less than week.

Complain all you want about Peters' last year if you have to but don't pretend that the guy has no work ethic. You don't get to be a starting LT in this league by sitting on your ass. He worked for it, for many, many years. He missed one camp, one his whole foorball life and that was to get a new contract (which he got by the way), not to avoid the rigors of camp. You might disagree with the wisdom of the hold out from a business sense but implying that it was because he was lazy is either stupidity, dishonesty or something far worse.

And comparing Wood to Peters is just plain dumb but in light of the rest of what you had to say, it doesn't really stand out much.

You need to back off of this, I am sorry but you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Peters was on everyone's "sleeper" list and projected to be a project OT by many pre-draft and as an awesome blocking TE by others. He had his pick of teams to go to, a classic case of when it is better to be a UDFA than a 7th rounder. The notion that the Bills generously plucked him from obscurity is crap. Go back and read the scouting reports for that draft before you spout off about what you don't know. He ran a 4.9 40 at the combine at around 320-340 pounds. That got him noticed big time. He was only a junior though and was a TE for a running team and as good a blocker as he was, he was playing TE. Despite being projected to go in the 4th and being listed on almost every mock as among the top 5 or 6 TE's, he was not drafted.

POSITIVES: Large, athletic tight end that stands out on the field. Blocks with leverage, strength and turns defenders from the play. Annihilates linebackers on the second level, gets movement from run blocks and effective when he stays with the action. Fluid releasing off the line into pass routes, runs well and displays soft hands. Gets vertical for the reception and makes the difficult catch in contorted positions.

ANALYSIS: A physical specimen with great natural gifts, Peters has the skills to be a dominant and complete tight end if not a very athletic left tackle. Will have trouble playing a position at 320 pounds and must shed weight but a prospect with a large upside.

"Tackles aren't sexy enough, so in the third we'll take the acrobatic star of the Rose Bowl, wide receiver Keary Colbert. We can make a tackle out of 340-pound tight end Jason Peters in the fourth..."

Here is a mock that had him going in the fourth round to the Jags and it lists him at TE/OT: Peters to the Jags?

As for not contacting the team for months, thats is BS but all that his extraneous history anyway and hardly worth debating anymore. He is gone, good or bad, its over. The point here is that you are arguing that Peters is lazy and has no work ethic despite his having clawed his way from a UDFA to the pro bowl over several years in this league while you fawn and go weak at the knees over the work ethic of a rookie who was late to his first camp and handed a starting job in less than week.

Complain all you want about Peters' last year if you have to but don't pretend that the guy has no work ethic. You don't get to be a starting LT in this league by sitting on your ass. He worked for it, for many, many years. He missed one camp, one his whole foorball life and that was to get a new contract (which he got by the way), not to avoid the rigors of camp. You might disagree with the wisdom of the hold out from a business sense but implying that it was because he was lazy is either stupidity, dishonesty or something far worse.

And comparing Wood to Peters is just plain dumb but in light of the rest of what you had to say, it doesn't really stand out much.

So after all of his antics last year that I previously mentioned, I take it you find them acceptable? You can't let players hold their teams hostage because of money. Peters wanted at least $12+ million a year, even though he is a good player, he's not worth that kind of money. Also, Peters went undrafted for reason, so this talk of him having a pick of where he wanted to go is a bunch of nonsense. If you went undrafted, you'll be very happy a team picked you up.

Thanks for the scouting report, I agree with their reports. I wish things would have worked out differently with Peters, but they didn't.

I'm jealous. "The Senator" doesn't call me anymore. How I miss his moronic overtures, his thinly veiled hatreds, his vitriolic tirades, his limitless capacity to mangle the English language, his overtaxed brain cells groping for insults and, most of all, his insistence on turning every friendly discussion about the Bills into an opportunity for him to vent the deep frustrations which so clearly beset him in the real world....ahhhh, good times, good times. Oh to hear his furtive screeches so like the death throes of a rabid squirrel, just once more. *sniffle*

You are so lucky and you don't even know it you glorious bastard. :lol:

Laying it on kind of thick.

I would only be happier if we had drafted M. Oher instead of that stat machine from Penn St. Watch the Rose Bowl as A.M. gets schooled all afternoon and see how happy you are that the 11th pick was used on him.

Out of the first 2 rounds, we can expect something from Wood, and from Levitre.

Maybin is holding out way too long and Byrd is damaged goods.

Maybe we will get lucky with Harris from round 5.

Excellent post, and great job digging up the old scouting reports.

There are definitely some negative things you can say about Peters with justification. Lazy isn't one of them. Yet it gets repeated over and over, because of the hate some people have.

So after all of his antics last year that I previously mentioned, I take it you find them acceptable? You can't let players hold their teams hostage because of money. Peters wanted at least $12+ million a year, even though he is a good player, he's not worth that kind of money. Also, Peters went undrafted for reason, so this talk of him having a pick of where he wanted to go is a bunch of nonsense. If you went undrafted, you'll be very happy a team picked you up.

Thanks for the scouting report, I agree with their reports. I wish things would have worked out differently with Peters, but they didn't.

Jerry, MICKEY was right, it was well-reported on these boards at the time that Peters had a lot of suitors after going undrafted. The Bills weren't the only ones interested. Far from it. When we got him, people were thrilled, because he had lots of choices.

And as you say, Jerry, I too wish things would have worked out differently. You're right, though, they didn't and that's the bottom line.

Excellent post, and great job digging up the old scouting reports.

There are definitely some negative things you can say about Peters with justification. Lazy isn't one of them. Yet it gets repeated over and over, because of the hate some people have.

Peters did EVERYTHING RIGHT, sorry. He listened to his agent, and his agent got him the contract that he wanted and more or less deserved. He never whined or complained to the media once.

The villian in this story is Russ Brandon. The eventual victim here is Trent Edwards, who is going to get knocked the eff out, in one of the first few weeks.

Full stop

We really could use a guy like Vince Young because our QB is going to be running for his life until the O-line "gels" which may be around the first of never.

Even if Wood makes the pro bowl every year of his career, he will never be as valuable as a franchise left tackle.

Probably not. But I believe you'll be looking at Wood as your Pro Bowl Center before too long. If I'm not mistaken, most of the posts that I see around here referencing the great line during the Super Bowl run (sadly) almost 20 years ago mention one name more than all others. Kent Hull. I, for one, would be happy with seeing Wood as our next Kent Hull for the coming decade.

Out of the first 2 rounds, we can expect something from Wood, and from Levitre.

Maybin is holding out way too long and Byrd is damaged goods.

Maybe we will get lucky with Harris from round 5.

& Nelson in the 4th. Reports I have read call him the sleeper of the Bills Draft.