Them Crooked Vultures

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/

I was just made aware of this band, as their "surprise show" is this weekend in Chicago. Tickets sold out in 6 minutes but a buddy of mine scored one.

Dave Grohl on drums

John Paul Jones on Bass

Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) on guitar/vocals

This sounds all sorts of awesome to me.

Not much info from the link, but I will keep an eye on this band. John Paul Jones was a very quiet yet critical member of Led Zeppelin. He shied away from the limelight but contributed significantly to song writing and arranging. It will be interesting to see what this band comes out with.

Not much info from the link, but I will keep an eye on this band. John Paul Jones was a very quiet yet critical member of Led Zeppelin. He shied away from the limelight but contributed significantly to song writing and arranging. It will be interesting to see what this band comes out with.

Bass players are the glue. Unfortunately every band that I played in most bass players were on glue.

Jones and Plant wrote almost all the songs on In Through The Out Door, a favorite Led Zep album of mine. I'm glad he has hooked up with these guys.

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/

I was just made aware of this band, as their "surprise show" is this weekend in Chicago. Tickets sold out in 6 minutes but a buddy of mine scored one.

Dave Grohl on drums

John Paul Jones on Bass

Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) on guitar/vocals

This sounds all sorts of awesome to me.

sounds very good

Hell yeah! The video of JPJ and Jimmy Page rocking with Taylor and Dave from Wembley Stadium last year was so great.

Taylor Hawkins is totally underrated. Great drummer, but also a great vocalist. I saw Foo Fighters at Blue Cross last year and his performance was one of my favorites from the show.

Im excited about this, who doesn't like heavy, fuzzy guitar driven rock'n'roll. I can't stand all this pretentious indie crap. Rock'n'roll is simple. Plug in a couple guitar amps, crank them. Plug in a bass amp, crank it. Have a 4 piece drumset, a couple cymbals, and hit the damn drums. Maybe have an organist/keyboard. Its not rocket science. I don't care about electric cello, kazoo, or anything else that "this sick band from the Brooklyn indie scene" came out with. Stop drinking PBR, wearing American Apparel and taking pictures and hit a couple angry chords and call it a day.

But my point is that even sober bass players are a bit touched in the head.

In the jazz bands I've played in, back in high school and college, it always seemed that way. BTW, I played trombone.

High school especially. I knew the bass player going back to the third grade and he was weird then, but man, he had to have been on something by that point.

I'm just not sure what. My naive 17 year old mind at the time thought everybody dranked, but stayed away from the harder stuff. <_<:rolleyes:

In the jazz bands I've played in, back in high school and college, it always seemed that way. BTW, I played trombone.

High school especially. I knew the bass player going back to the third grade and he was weird then, but man, he had to have been on something by that point.

I'm just not sure what. My naive 17 year old mind at the time thought everybody dranked, but stayed away from the harder stuff. <_<:rolleyes:

The definition of an optimist?

A trombonist with a pager.

Some reviews from the show:

http://stereogum.com/archives/concert/them...909_083461.html

Rolling Stone review

Chicago Tribune

Chicago Sun-Times

Apparently John Paul Jones used a keytar(sp?) for one of the songs. My friend who went to the show gave the show a thumbs-up and said it was fantastic: 75-80mins. of original rock 'n' roll music.

And the web site now has a forum and a store to buy a $30 t-shirt.

Pretty enthusiastic review by Rolling Stone.

But nobody had any idea what to expect at the gig. The trio, joined by QOTSA guitarist Alain Johannes, walked onstage to the tune of Chuck Berry's "No Particular Place To Go." Then they slayed the crowd for 75-minutes -- no encores -- with songs nobody's ever heard. Homme sang, Grohl played drums, and JPJ stuck mostly to the bass -- a couple times he jumped on keyboards, keytar, or picked up a crazy, futuristic slide guitar.

Never has a supergroup sounded more like the sum of its parts.

didn't JPJ create that instrument (the lap steel slide guitar)????

I dont remember where I heard it

No, it's been around a lot longer than JPJ but he is listed as a notable user. I listened to the short clip posted above and really liked it. Definitely has a Led Zeppelin feel to it. The only other clips I've been able to find so far are terrible recordings of the Chicago show. Even though the Audio was atrocious, you could still tell it was a kick azz performance.

• 2 weeks later...