Interviewing Jim Leonhard tomorrow

So I've got an interview scheduled with Jim Leonhard tomorrow at Jets training camp (I know that he's kinda small potatoes, but it's my first NFL interview so I'm kinda nervous).

Anybody have any specific (and reasonable) questions you'd like me to ask?

So far I've got...

1) You're one of the few guys to play under Rex Ryan as a D-Coordinator and Head Coach. Has his style changed at all and how has he affected your career?

2) What was it like playing just a few yards away from living legends like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis?

3) Based on who you've covered in practice, how are the younger WRs progressing and has anybody stood out as a potential replacement for Lavernues Coles?

4) Your away game against Buffalo is in Toronto this year. Are you excited about the new venue or would you prefer to return to Ralph Wilson Stadium where you spent 3 years as a Bill?

So I've got an interview scheduled with Jim Leonhard tomorrow at Jets training camp (I know that he's kinda small potatoes, but it's my first NFL interview so I'm kinda nervous).

So far I've got...

1) You're one of the few guys to play under Rex Ryan as a D-Coordinator and Head Coach. Has his style changed at all and how has he affected your career?

2) What was it like playing just a few yards away from living legends like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis?

3) Based on who you've covered in practice, how are the younger WRs progressing and has anybody stood out as a potential replacement for Lavernues Coles?

4) Your away game against Buffalo is in Toronto this year. Are you excited about the new venue or would you prefer to return to Ralph Wilson Stadium where you spent 3 years as a Bill?

Add on number 4. I would keep the Bills questions coming because that's where he got his start, and it will be interesting facing them twice this season (I'd imagine). Old faces should spark a nice rivalry.

Sage, are you a journalism major?

So far I've got...

Ask him if he misses Lutefisk and all the cheeseheads?

Good luck, and don't be nervous. (Yeah, easier said than done, right?)

If you're asking from a Buffalo perspective, have him compare/contrast Fewell's and Ryan's defensive philosophy, which is more demanding to learn and implement, which style the players enjoy more.

(The last one is probably obvious, seeing that he followed Ryan to NY. Was that move based entirely on the money involved, or did the chance to keep playing for Ryan factor into his decision?)

(Edit: or what HunkyDunky said while I was busy typing ... :huh: )

Add on number 4. I would keep the Bills questions coming because that's where he got his start, and it will be interesting facing them twice this season (I'd imagine). Old faces should spark a nice rivalry.

Sage, are you a journalism major?

There's actually no journalism major at Cornell, but I'm doubling in English and Communications which does the job pretty well. I'm hoping to go to the Newhouse School at Syracuse when I'm done with my undergraduate studies.

Good luck, and don't be nervous. (Yeah, easier said than done, right?)

If you're asking from a Buffalo perspective, have him compare/contrast Fewell's and Ryan's defensive philosophy, which is more demanding to learn and implement, which style the players enjoy more.

(The last one is probably obvious, seeing that he followed Ryan to NY. Was that move based entirely on the money involved, or did the chance to keep playing for Ryan factor into his decision?)

(Edit: or what HunkyDunky said while I was busy typing ... :lol: )

Thanks Lori (and everybody), I'm not trying to go for TOO much of a Buffalo spin because our show broadcasts in Ithaca which isn't any more of a Bills market than it is a Jets market.

I scheduled the interview with Leonhard because I failed to get press passes to Bills camp and I figured an interview with a FORMER Bill would be the next best thing. That said, I'll be at Jets camp for a few days and I don't want to expose myself as the true Bills homer that I am :lol:

Thanks Lori (and everybody), I'm not trying to go for TOO much of a Buffalo spin because our show broadcasts in Ithaca which isn't any more of a Bills market than it is a Jets market.

I scheduled the interview with Leonhard because I failed to get press passes to Bills camp and I figured an interview with a FORMER Bill would be the next best thing. That said, I'll be at Jets camp for a few days and I don't want to expose myself as the true Bills homer that I am :lol:

So you're saying the Jets credentialed you, but the Bills didn't.

Shocking.

There's actually no journalism major at Cornell, but I'm doubling in English and Communications which does the job pretty well. I'm hoping to go to the Newhouse School at Syracuse when I'm done with my undergraduate studies.

awsome Im majoring journalism at the World class Univeersity of Florida.. Home of erin andrews

Ask him why the jets hate Leon Washington so much? I mean really Washington is one of the best punt returners in the league, and they're taking him off that to give punt returns to Jim Leonhard?!? I understand they want to give Washington more carries this season, but if there is one team who rivals the Bills in special teams capability it's been the Jets. This just seems like a huge step back for Westhoff's group. Not only that but the lack of movement on a contract for Leon Washington is absurd. If I was a jets fan it would perplex me to say the least.- Granted I realize this is more of a question for Tannenbaum, but yeah.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/n..._to_return.html

Ask him stuff like In the early stages of Rex Ryans tenure how the defense is shaping up compared to the Ravens? How has Gholston looked? If the front 7 looks to have an agressive style that he in turn can benefit from? Kris Jenkins faded down the stretch last year. Is that a concern of the defensive staff moving forward, and has anyone else along the dline poised to step up? Are he and Kerry Rhodes developing good chemistry at their safety positions, with fluid communication? Are you and Bartt Scott taking an active role among your peers to help them learn Ryans defensive system? Is there anyone on the defense that maybe the average fan hasn't heard of that we should pay attention to? Than get into some "Who was your biggest help in your journey to make it in the NFL where you are today? All that small guy overcome such and such situation fluff.

Honestly I'm not a fan of Leonhard the guy got lucky to ride the coattails of some of the best defensive players in the league. A luxury he does not have with the jets. If he proves me wrong I'll eat crow, but he'll go back to being the terribly exposed slow safety he was with the Bills or as Rich Gannon put it during a game against the jags 2 years ago

"I don't know what Jim Leonhard was doing out there, but he looks like he shouldn't even be on the field"

P.S- Congrats on getting an interview with a NFL player, and I hope it goes well, and best of luck to you in your Field :lol:

At the very least you have to wear your Bills boxers when you cover the Jets. And anytime you get nervous interviewing anyone on the Jets, just think of them as wearing Bills boxers too.

Good luck and have fun.

Now that seems to be the "Harvard" of sports communications in the USA, so good luck and I hope you end up getting your masters there!! We will look for you on SportsCenter in a few years. :lol::lol:

At the very least you have to wear your Bills boxers when you cover the Jets. And anytime you get nervous interviewing anyone on the Jets, just think of them as wearing Bills boxers too.

Good luck and have fun.

This is sage advise, Sage! :lol: