August Movies: G.I. Joe, Inglorious Basterds, Julie & Julia, and D

Mark Vader

Mark, you might be happy to know that I'm somewhat reconsidering my stance from the start of this thread. I might give Inglorious Basterds a shot. Maybe I'll wait until September though just to prove a point. :wallbash:

Good for you Shrader, although Inglorious Basterds is'nt getting my money.

You should really see District 9, it's very good.

Granted a time traveling chick flick sounds a bit odd, yet you have to admit, it is something different. Much like the reimagining of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice with zombies.

Also "The Time Traveler's Wife", was a best selling novel, so people did like the idea.

Not sure how the movie will translate....

But it actually was a really good book. Not an overly sappy chick book at all.

Definitely had a romance story line but the time travel aspect made it very unique and the story is very well conceived and constructed.

Likely the movie will not be great, but I recommend the book to anyone who likes to read.

Not sure how the movie will translate....

But it actually was a really good book. Not an overly sappy chick book at all.

Definitely had a romance story line but the time travel aspect made it very unique and the story is very well conceived and constructed.

Likely the movie will not be great, but I recommend the book to anyone who likes to read.

I never thought I'd see someone with an Iron Maiden avatar plugging a romance novel. :wallbash:

Mark, District 9 still is not catching any interest from me. I might see it if someone else says "hey, let's go see that", but I can't see me being the one to suggest it right now.

Mark, District 9 still is not catching any interest from me. I might see it if someone else says "hey, let's go see that", but I can't see me being the one to suggest it right now.

Do you seriously wait for company to see a movie ? I freed myself from those mental shackles a long time back. Now, if I want to see a movie, I go see it. Given my choice in movies, I am happier that way so I don't have to conform to someone else's opinion and can enjoy or hate a movie with freedom. Try going alone - you may like it.

I never thought I'd see someone with an Iron Maiden avatar plugging a romance novel. <_<

Ha, yeah it definitely isn't the genre I lean towards.

I was in a book club a few years back and it was someone's pick one month so if not for that I probably never would have gone near it.

Book club probably isn't the normal place for a Metal person either, but FYI for all the single guys on this board... it was almost all women.

:wallbash:

Do you seriously wait for company to see a movie ? I freed myself from those mental shackles a long time back. Now, if I want to see a movie, I go see it. Given my choice in movies, I am happier that way so I don't have to conform to someone else's opinion and can enjoy or hate a movie with freedom. Try going alone - you may like it.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I've gone on my own in the past. In the past, when I've had nothing planned, if someone said "hey, let's go see this", I'd usually go. Hell, that's how I ended up seeing that piece of garbage Snakes on a Plane. It was something to do. I just have no interest in District 9 right now, so it's not something that would immediately come to mind if I had some free time.

Book club probably isn't the normal place for a Metal person either, but FYI for all the single guys on this board... it was almost all women.

:thumbsup:

I was in a book club years ago, till the person leading it moved away and no one picked up the slack. Anyways, here's one book we read. It was an interesting evening for the discussion since I was the only guy there that night.

Saw District 9 last night (the girl and i stay 1 week behind the releases to avoid the crowd)

WOW, great movie!! i had high expectations for it given the hype around this movie, and it even went beyond that. great story, well done, even my gf who isnt really into sci-fi loved it and we woke up thinking/talking about it this morning.

next week, Inglorious Basterds. and since we're seeing that, The Time Traveler's Wife will probably follow...

i used to go to movies by myself all the time. the first time or so, it's weird. but then you realize how awesome it is. catch a movie on a saturday morning by myself, or a day off from work...

(back when i used to take days off from work :thumbsup: )

i used to go to movies by myself all the time. the first time or so, it's weird. but then you realize how awesome it is. catch a movie on a saturday morning by myself, or a day off from work...

(back when i used to take days off from work :thumbsup: )

I do that too. Hit the first matinée on Saturday morning, even for a new release, there may only be 30 people in a theater that seats 300.

next week, Inglorious Basterds. and since we're seeing that, The Time Traveler's Wife will probably follow...

Inglourious turned out to be a pretty good movie. A bit long but that is Tarantino. Even with the modified history premise I identified some plot holes. Acting is superlative all the way around but Pitt's dialog delivery is priceless. All in all, worth a watch but a notch below District 9.

Ang Lee directs "Taking Woodstock", A man working at his parents' motel in the Catskills inadvertently sets in motion the generation-defining concert in the summer of 1969. Starring Demetri Martin, Imelda Staunton, Jeffrey Dean Morgan & Emile Hirsch.

Saw it this weekend, I thought it sucked. All the commercials I saw made it seem to be a comedy, it's a drama with bits of comedy thrown in here and there. I think they could have shortened it up about 1/2 hour and made it better, since I found myself by the halfway point wondering if it would end soon.