How do police agencies hope to enforce "no texting" law?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I don't think it should be ticketing people for texting while driving. I think if people are found to have been texting while driving and getting in an accident the fines/penalties should rival those of DUI.

So in other words if one is innvolved in an accident, they have to sequester their electronic devices over to the authorities? And you call me a liberal! :w00t::lol:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in other words if one is innvolved in an accident, they have to sequester their electronic devices over to the authorities? And you call me a liberal! :w00t::lol:

No a liberal would B word about a cop asking for that and cry like a baby, just like you did. If someone in your family was injured in an accident caused by someone texting you'd talk a different story.

If someone in your family was injured in an accident caused by someone texting you'd talk a different story.

No I wouldn't. How do you know it didn't happened (injured)?

So you think that in an accident one should have to sequester over to the government authorities one's electronic devices. Me the liberal?? :w00t::lol:

Tell me Einstein, how on this green earth will the authorities get an accurate "time stamp" of when the accident actually happened... I am talkin down to the minute and second?

Ever been in an accident? It is a clusterphuck of:

"Officer it happened at around 3-3:15."

Not:

"Officer it happened at 3:07.04."

And I, "Eric King of the River" am the hypocrite? :w00t::w00t:

No I wouldn't. How do you know it didn't happened (injured)?

So you think that in an accident one should have to sequester over to the government authorities one's electronic devices. Me the liberal?? :w00t::lol:

Tell me Einstein, how on this green earth will the authorities get an accurate "time stamp" of when the accident actually happened... I am talkin down to the minute and second?

Ever been in an accident? It is a clusterphuck of:

"Officer it happened at around 3-3:15."

Not:

"Officer it happened at 3:07.04."

And I, "Eric King of the River" am the hypocrite? :w00t::w00t:

I don't know, maybe the airbag deployment system has a time stamp on it and if it doesn't, maybe it should.

I don't know, maybe the airbag deployment system has a time stamp on it and if it doesn't, maybe it should.

Airbags don't always deploy.

Buy personally...I've always found looking at my damn watch to be effective. :w00t:

Airbags don't always deploy.

Buy personally...I've always found looking at my damn watch to be effective. :w00t:

:w00t::lol:

I haven't been in an accident in over 20 years until this past May, and I can tell you the first thing to do was NOT to look at my watch. For some reason the first thing on my mind was my children and getting them and the vehicle secured out of more harms way. Ya, I should just been a dick and just sat there stared at my watch and said: "Nobody move! It is 15:05.34... Nobody move, we gotta nail this ass that just hit us!"

:flirt::P

I haven't been in an accident in over 20 years until this past May, and I can tell you the first thing to do was NOT to look at my watch. For some reason the first thing on my mind was my children and getting them and the vehicle secured out of more harms way. Ya, I should just been a dick and just sat there stared at my watch and said: "Nobody move! It is 15:05.34... Nobody move, we gotta nail this ass that just hit us!"

Really? We were in an accident three weeks ago that totaled our truck and sent my wife to the hospital. Even while I was checking on her, I still somehow found the time to note that it was 9:10 am.

Only took me a half-second glance...and it's an analog watch (you know, with hands). So just how long does it take you to check the time, anyway?

Really? We were in an accident three weeks ago that totaled our truck and sent my wife to the hospital. Even while I was checking on her, I still somehow found the time to note that it was 9:10 am.

Only took me a half-second glance...and it's an analog watch (you know, with hands). So just how long does it take you to check the time, anyway?

Yes really. And that is part of my point. Everybody handles situatiuons differently. Even I a, a pro-governement person thinks that things would get FUBAR'ed beyond belief if they started asking for an exact time stamp.

I keep my watch 5 minutes a ahead.

:flirt:

Yes really. And that is part of my point. Everybody handles situatiuons differently. Even I a, a pro-governement person thinks that things would get FUBAR'ed beyond belief if they started asking for an exact time stamp.

Oh, okay. I mean, I've always been of the school that it's better to keep one's wits about them in a crisis so one knows what's going on, rather than going into headless-chicken full-goose panic mode to the point where one can't even successfully look at their wrist. But I guess that's just me.

I keep my watch 5 minutes a ahead.

:P

"Sir, what time did the accident occur?"

"Oh, about two minutes from now..."

Good man. Always looking ahead. :flirt:

As I collate the responses from y'all to my original questions I'm left with what I feared all along was the answer: No way in Hell can the laws be proactively enforced.

The laws, designed to promote safety on the road, can/will only be applied, in the vast majority of instances, after the event one hopes to avoid happens!

Have a spare minute, thank a legislator for adding to the volume of unenforcable legislation on the books. Looks good during the next campaign, though--five young women killed in the Rochester area, texting may have been a contributing factor, so pass a law and sing its praises through the towns.

AAAAAaaaarrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32232659/ns/te...less/?GT1=43001

Good grief. I'm for putting people like this in prison. Just blind luck he didn't kill someone.

There's nothing like opening a link to a news story like this, seeing the photo, and saying "Wait a minute...sh--, isn't that my father's house?" :doh:

Dumbass truck driver is lucky he didn't hit the house.

And it never will. Unless there is stiff fines. A lot of people now do their job/work outside of the contraints of a timeclock... Employers EXPECT it. Which leads me back to the stiff fines comment. It is just the cost of doing business. If say somebody has a very slim chance of getting caught vs. making a ton of money on his job, what do you think they are going to do?

What I am saying is that this behavior is part of the culture.

Never going to happen.

Not my problem.

We have a sales rep who calls in on his cell phone every Monday morning - pulled off to the side of the road with a cup of coffee - because his attendance is required and he is in the middle of his commute. He has made allowances for his schedule.

All I said was I WISH the driver of a vehicle would pay attention to that. Part of my culture - back in the 70's - was having a cop pull you over when you were dead drunk, weaving all over the road, and just tell you to go home and be more careful. :blink:

I wish everyone would stop making excuses and modify their cultural behavior when it comes to the safety of others.

As I collate the responses from y'all to my original questions I'm left with what I feared all along was the answer: No way in Hell can the laws be proactively enforced.

The laws, designed to promote safety on the road, can/will only be applied, in the vast majority of instances, after the event one hopes to avoid happens!

Have a spare minute, thank a legislator for adding to the volume of unenforcable legislation on the books. Looks good during the next campaign, though--five young women killed in the Rochester area, texting may have been a contributing factor, so pass a law and sing its praises through the towns.

AAAAAaaaarrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!

If I ever ran for office, my platform would be to remove one unneccesary law every week from the books.

Not my problem.

All I said was I WISH the driver of a vehicle would pay attention to that. Part of my culture - back in the 70's - was having a cop pull you over when you were dead drunk, weaving all over the road, and just tell you to go home and be more careful. :ph34r:

I wish everyone would stop making excuses and modify their cultural behavior when it comes to the safety of others.

I wish that too Rock. I don't think I am making excuses. I agree with you that some employers are real nice, yet some are real jag offs. People will continue to do it and will chaulk it up as the price of doing business.

It is all about me in this society. Just as you said it isn't your problem. Actually it is your problem, it is my problem and it is everybody's problem.

Do you really think that people are going to let their livelyhood suffer because of "safety?" Of course they should, but I am not that much of a dreamer.

On another note about safety... How about them redlight cams... There is one on my way to work. I obey the speed limit, yet the authorites have decreased the amout of time you get the yellow... I don't go through the light if it just changes suddenly (45 miles speed zone to boot!)... I just slam on the brakes be dammed who is behind me! Happened just today... Really gets the dead spots out of my brake rotors!... One of these days there is gonna be somebody behind... :P

You want less unnecessary laws, yet you want everybody to be ont he same page when driving, multi-tasking, whatever. NO pun intended, I don't see it happening going down that road. ;)

Yeah, as was mentioned in this thread, ONE law that listed all the stupid chit a driver will get ticketed for if caught could replace 50 individual laws.

It won't happen - I agree with that.

Yeah, as was mentioned in this thread, ONE law that listed all the stupid chit a driver will get ticketed for if caught could replace 50 individual laws.

It won't happen - I agree with that.

No need to even list...just one law that says "PAY !@#$ING ATTENTION BEHIND THE WHEEL, !@#$S!" That covers all existing situations and any new ones that pop up.