Help! I have honeybees in my wall!

I know it is against the law to kill them, because they are considered an endangered species. :unsure: The question is how the hell do you get them out? It appears they are taking up residence behind my siding in my backyard. They really don't bother me to much, but they freak out my wife.

How much damage can they cause? Do I have to rip my wall apart? Any body want some free honey?

If anyone has any good suggestions on how to get rid of them without killing them, please let me know.

Thanks

I know it is against the law to kill them, because they are considered an endangered species. :unsure: The question is how the hell do you get them out? It appears they are taking up residence behind my siding in my backyard. They really don't bother me to much, but they freak out my wife.

How much damage can they cause? Do I have to rip my wall apart? Any body want some free honey?

If anyone has any good suggestions on how to get rid of them without killing them, please let me know.

Thanks

Not always illegal to kill them, depends on local regulations. Chances are you're going to have to do a cut-out. Even if they are killed in the wall, the comb will rot and honey will ruin your walls. There are people out there that will do it for cheap or even free so they can keep the bees for themselves.

Are you sure they are honeybees? I thought I had that problem too but they ended up being german yellowjackets. Exterminator took care of those. If there are a lot hanging around the entrance they are probably honeybees. If they fly directly in and out they are yellowjackets.

I am a beekeeper and I can tell you that if these are indeed honeybees, one of your local beekeepers would probably be happy to come and remove them (although they're not going to take responsibility for your wall).

The first order of business is to determine what you have - if they are not honeybees your best bet is to call an exterminator - yellow jackets and wasps can be very aggressive and are not something to mess around with. Honeybees, on the other hand, are not aggressive at all unless provolked. PM me if you want and I can help you identify what you have.

If these are honeybees, there is no way to simply make them move somewhere else - they need to be removed by a competent beekeeper who will ensure he gets the queen. That will probably involve opening up your wall, removing the bees with a bee vac and removing the comb they've built up (which can also yeild lots of honey!).

You should look on the internet for local bee clubs in your area and contact them. Beekeepers love free bees and you may be able to find someone to remove them for just the bees as payment (depends on who you find and how much work the removal is).

Not always illegal to kill them, depends on local regulations. Chances are you're going to have to do a cut-out. Even if they are killed in the wall, the comb will rot and honey will ruin your walls. There are people out there that will do it for cheap or even free so they can keep the bees for themselves.

Are you sure they are honeybees? I thought I had that problem too but they ended up being german yellowjackets. Exterminator took care of those. If there are a lot hanging around the entrance they are probably honeybees. If they fly directly in and out they are yellowjackets.

They fly directly in and out. That would be great if they weren't honeybees. The funny thing is, they don't go after you when they fly in and out. They pretty much leave you alone. I think I will call a exterminator and see if he could take care of it.

Thanks all for your help.

They fly directly in and out. That would be great if they weren't honeybees. The funny thing is, they don't go after you when they fly in and out. They pretty much leave you alone. I think I will call a exterminator and see if he could take care of it.

Find out what you have first and call a beekeeper - an exterminator is definitely going to charge you - a beekeeper may do this for free or certainly less money.

Pssssh what do you know? He should just get a .45 and go to town.

I am a beekeeper and I can tell you that if these are indeed honeybees, one of your local beekeepers would probably be happy to come and remove them (although they're not going to take responsibility for your wall).

The first order of business is to determine what you have - if they are not honeybees your best bet is to call an exterminator - yellow jackets and wasps can be very aggressive and are not something to mess around with. Honeybees, on the other hand, are not aggressive at all unless provolked. PM me if you want and I can help you identify what you have.

If these are honeybees, there is no way to simply make them move somewhere else - they need to be removed by a competent beekeeper who will ensure he gets the queen. That will probably involve opening up your wall, removing the bees with a bee vac and removing the comb they've built up (which can also yeild lots of honey!).

You should look on the internet for local bee clubs in your area and contact them. Beekeepers love free bees and you may be able to find someone to remove them for just the bees as payment (depends on who you find and how much work the removal is).

I knew a guy, years ago, who had the same problem.

He blocked in the area of the hive, put a glass pane over it, and watched them. Occasionally he'd open it up and collect himself some fresh honey.

Now that would be pretty cool! :unsure:

Sounds like the same problem I had, yellowjackets. From my research on them (trying to find the cheapest way out of course) the queen starts a new colony and they start appearing slowly in June. They can reach numbers around 4-5 thousand by fall. They'll all die off in the fall, with only the new queens overwintering and she'll find a new site next spring.

I could stand by the hole and they would fly right by. Anytime the lawnmower got close though they got a little angry so we had a guy come spray for $125. He missed the nest the first time and they found a new way out around the dust he applied. Came back for free and got them. Whatever you do don't seal the hole, they'll find a way through the house if they need to.

Thanks

Any chance that they are carpenter bees?

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/carpenter_bees.htm

The old method of eradication was to nail up a paint can with soapy water in it, beneath the hole. They would drop down and the soap would wet out their wings and that was the end.

Find out what you have first and call a beekeeper - an exterminator is definitely going to charge you - a beekeeper may do this for free or certainly less money.

If he puts a yellowjacket trap out (like the ones you fill with juice and what not), will honeybees go to it? Or do they just prefer the clover this time of the season?

If he puts a yellowjacket trap out (like the ones you fill with juice and what not), will honeybees go to it? Or do they just prefer the clover this time of the season?

Honeybees are forragers always looking for new sources of nectar, pollen and water. They'll go almost anywhere to investigate, so if you put out a trap with juice/meat, etc. for yellowjackets you may get a few curious honeybees as well. The difference is that yellowjackets will seek out such things like juice and meat - they're not looking for flowers.

Yellow jackets are easy to tell apart from honeybees - they look like a wasp as opposed to a bee and they are bright yellow - honeybees aren't bright yellow - some varieties like the Italians I keep have some more golden yellow striping. Other types like carnolians and Russians can be almost black.

Honeybees are forragers always looking for new sources of nectar, pollen and water. They'll go almost anywhere to investigate, so if you put out a trap with juice/meat, etc. for yellowjackets you may get a few curious honeybees as well. The difference is that yellowjackets will seek out such things like juice and meat - they're not looking for flowers.

Yellow jackets are easy to tell apart from honeybees - they look like a wasp as opposed to a bee and they are bright yellow - honeybees aren't bright yellow - some varieties like the Italians I keep have some more golden yellow striping. Other types like carnolians and Russians can be almost black.

Thanx! I always put out those type traps (one in front and one in the backyard) in the spring... I was curious if I was harming honeybees. That is not too bad is it?? Or should I stop? I really don't think that I have honeybees??

Thanx! I always put out those type traps (one in front and one in the backyard) in the spring... I was curious if I was harming honeybees. That is not too bad is it?? Or should I stop? I really don't think that I have honeybees??

To be safe I would stick to the baits that really only wasps/yellowjackets would go for - usually a bit of wine and some sort of meat.

What most people don't realize about honeybees is that they're not seen that much unless you're looking at flowers or in an area where they are getting water. Bees are very busy and very driven to do their thing - they don't have time to hang around humans and our food which isn't useful to them. I have 60,000+ bees in my back yard and I don't see them unless they are flying, working the flowers, of hanginig out by the hose getting water on a hot day - otherwise they're out doing their thing. Outside of my bees I almost never see thyem unless I'm picking fruit out in the fields at the u-pick (they hire out for pollenation services), but even in the fields I'm busy picking and they're busy pollenating.

Any chance that they are carpenter bees?

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/carpenter_bees.htm

The old method of eradication was to nail up a paint can with soapy water in it, beneath the hole. They would drop down and the soap would wet out their wings and that was the end.

No, they are not carpenter bees. I know this because I have those also. It is a constant fight with those wood chewing bastards.

I'm pretty sure they are honeybees, they look nothing like yellow jackets or wasps. I have looked up some beekeepers around my area and give them a call.

To be safe I would stick to the baits that really only wasps/yellowjackets would go for - usually a bit of wine and some sort of meat.

What most people don't realize about honeybees is that they're not seen that much unless you're looking at flowers or in an area where they are getting water. Bees are very busy and very driven to do their thing - they don't have time to hang around humans and our food which isn't useful to them. I have 60,000+ bees in my back yard and I don't see them unless they are flying, working the flowers, of hanginig out by the hose getting water on a hot day - otherwise they're out doing their thing. Outside of my bees I almost never see thyem unless I'm picking fruit out in the fields at the u-pick (they hire out for pollenation services), but even in the fields I'm busy picking and they're busy pollenating.

How is the bee business? Is there any movement in figuring out what's happening to them?