How much will the no huddle offense help offset our

Quite true. If running a no-huddle offense meant that the offense would be more effective (to the point of being able to paper over potential disadvantages that encompass ~50% of the players on the unit) then we'd see a majority of teams necessarily running no-huddle offenses in order to keep up with the efficiency gains of their opponents.

c'mon.

That is a generalization.

You obviously need the personnel and QB to lead such an attack.

Is Trent that QB? Time will tell.

But the thread asked if it could help the O-Line. IMO, it would because of the position it forces the defense into.

Now, this is dependent on talent/ personnel, execution, etc.

Also, it is not fool-proof either. One of the biggest downfalls is that time of possession boogaboo. Your offense may be on fire, but getting off the field quick potentially hurts your defense if you are not leading on the scoreboard.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
c'mon.

You obviously need the personnel and QB to lead such an attack.

Is Trent that QB? Time will tell.

But the thread asked if it could help the O-Line. IMO, it would because of the position it forces the defense into.

Now, this is dependent on talent/ personnel, execution, etc.

Also, it is not fool-proof either. One of the biggest downfalls is that time of possession boogaboo. Your offense may be on fire, but getting off the field quick potentially hurts your defense if you are not leading on the scoreboard.

That's a misconception, the no huddle can eat up as much time as you want it to eat up.

Blitz's will be called on the run without proper substitution, mistakes will be made, players will be left uncovered and TE will make them pay.

Could happen but do you remember the Denver Championship Game?

I look at the Baltimore Ravens with envious eyes, with Cam Cameron hired last year, he instituted an awesome power running attack which made it so much easier for Flacco to throw and be successful his rookie year. Not to mention that when the snow,wind and cold came in Nov-DEC they still moved the ball effectively.

In one game the Ravens started on their own 18 yard line and and ran the ball 12 consecutive plays utilizing three and sometimes 4 offensive tackles sometimes replacing a guard and tight end with a tackle. The opposing team knew that the Ravens were going to run and stacked the box and were pushed back every play, resulting in several first downs.

(You know, much the same way Schonert calls shotgun passing plays and the opponent knows its a pass, only it ends up a punt)

Finally at the opponents 30 yard line and the opposing defense completely worn down by the fullback Le'Ron McClain . The Ravens OC calls for the first pass of the drive, not expecting a pass the opposing defense gives up a TD, thing of beauty!

Against today's smaller, quicker defenses, being able to pound the ball down the field is not a bad formula.

That is what I was hoping for when Schonert stated he wanted to utilize a fullback...

Schonert is showing his true colors as a Sam Wyche disciple now, looks like. I was skeptical that he was anything else.

I'm not completely sold on the fact that the Bills line was downright pathetic. Don't forget that they replaced a very senior O line coach with a rookie O line coach and the line immediately went into the ceramic convenience, and they had Schonert. Seems odd to me that when the Bills needed to replace the D line coach they went and hired an extremely experienced coach and yet the O line and play calling get noobs!

Don't you think that if the coaches were doing the proper job that they would have noticed that the line wasn't going to get the job done? The Bills have made several changes to the O line every year Jauron has been in Buffalo and they have continuously stunk it up! I don't get why everyone thinks that this year with 2 rookies and a backup center from another team will make the O line any better then previous years.

Good point. Not sure why some profess unquestioning confidence in Schonert and/or Kugler. Preston (and Fowler) were simply terrible and couldn't anchor. Dockery regressed under Kugler but was never as good as his hype -- likewise Walker. Neither of those guys physically dominates the line of scrimmage week to week. I like Butler's nasty streak but he's not the most gifted lineman. And, I don't think anyone disputes that Peters regressed last year. Still, that line was together and mostly intact for 2 seasons, and despite a record low number of sacks yielded in 07, they were never able to exert their will in the running game consistently enough. The 3rd and short failures are often discussed...

Guest dog14787
Could happen but do you remember the Denver Championship Game?

I understand what your saying, in the end the line still has to pass protect. My point is less blitz's will be called to begin with and without proper substitution they will be less effective. Plus, because of all the play makers TE can dump the ball off to and his ability to read and react plus deliver the ball quickly, defenses will learn to back off or get burned.

Its a win, win situation and for everyone wondering why more OC don't use the no huddle, its because not all QB's can handle the no huddle. Apparently our coaching staff believes TE can run the no huddle efficiently and in my opinion they are correct in their assumption.

I wouldn't care to burden a line with a couple of rookies with anything but an occasional no-huddle. It's useful if you think you can catch a defense in transition.

Actually, the huddle really doesn't do all that much fo the OL. Unless I'm mistaken, the bulk of the offensive line calls are made at the LOS, anyway. I'm not sure it is much of a burden for them, at all.

No-huddle or not, if an inexperienced line can not handle a blitz, it does not matter what kind of offense you run.

I think most posters are under the misconception that you can throw 5 lineman on the field and they will learn all the calls,signals and be able to read NFL defenses and make adjustments and pickups in OTA's and preseason, it is simply not true, it takes years sometimes

Most teams usually need to keep the same linemen together because of that term called "continuity". It means that the more playing experience the line has in the same positions and playing together,the more they learn their positions and understand what to do in each situation.

The OC stating the Bills will run the no huddle with a completely revamped O line has got to put a smile on every opposing D coordinators face, thinking of how much fun his team will have in screwing Edwards into the ground.

It makes me wish Schonert could go out and run his own offense and take the beating he will inflict on Trent.

I think most posters are under the misconception that you can throw 5 lineman on the field and they will learn all the calls,signals and be able to read NFL defenses and make adjustments and pickups in OTA's and preseason, it is simply not true, it takes years sometimes

Most teams usually need to keep the same linemen together because of that term called "continuity". It means that the more playing experience the line has in the same positions and playing together,the more they learn their positions and understand what to do in each situation.

The OC stating the Bills will run the no huddle with a completely revamped O line has got to put a smile on every opposing D coordinators face, thinking of how much fun his team will have in screwing Edwards into the ground.

It makes me wish Schonert could go out and run his own offense and take the beating he will inflict on Trent.

"Continuity" in Bills jargon means re-upping an awful coaching staff, and expanding sales into Gowanda and Holland, and beyond (Jamestown, Erie, Ashtabula?).

c'mon.

Yes. Yes, it is. Never claimed it was not a generalization. Of course, saying it was a generalization doesn't mean it isn't valid and germane.

Teams in the late 80s and early 90s used various offenses like the run-and-shoot and the hurry-up, but none of them ever won a Super Bowl. Now, every team incorporates elements of those schemes into their own offenses, because some of those ideas were very good ideas. Even the highly successful West Coast offense, which did win Super Bowls, has been changed over time and uses elements of other systems these days. The relevance is that the NFL is and has been a copy-cat league. The coaches copy the things that work and jettison the stuff that doesn't.

The fact is that there is no current NFL team that uses a no-huddle offense exclusively or in the frantic pace that the Bengals and Bills did nearly 20 years ago. The Colts come the closest that I can think of, but they are not always in an up tempo and trying to wear out an opponent with superior endurance. Besides, there have been rule changes over that time.

To the point of this thread, if there was an offensive system (and there is not) which could successfully hide weaknesses and limitations of the OL (that is roughly 50% of the offense) then it is highly unlikely that other NFL teams wouldn't know anything about it and not be using it. What team wouldn't want to play an overweight guard at LT or be able to drop free agents and rookies into their lineup and be highly proficient and productive? That would be like your competition in the market finding a way to cut their costs at building widgets, be able to switch suppliers whenever they wanted to, and still bring better widgets to the market. If you don't adapt to a threat like that, you go out of business. In NFL terms, your team is the Lions.

The assertion that a no-huddle will "fix" the unknown problems with the rebuilt line is nothing but wishful thinking at this point. It's not a plan. Frankly, if an offense can't execute its fundamentals, then no amount of gimmickry and self-appraised cunning is going to matter.

Guest dog14787

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if we have more continuity with our new revamped O-line by mid season then we ever did with our old O-line. ( plus costing us millions less)

I share your concern for protecting TE

You can't just turn the no huddle offense on or off. You need an O'line that has stamina and are very smart. Our young lineman are reported to be intelligent and the rest is yet to be demostrated. The receivers and backfield need to understand the next play on the run.

All that being said the 'NO HUDDLE" is a super way to confuse, tire out and demoralize a defense. I hope the BILLS are sucessful with it

GOO BILLS!!!

You can't just turn the no huddle offense on or off. You need an O'line that has stamina and are very smart. Our young lineman are reported to be intelligent and the rest is yet to be demostrated. The receivers and backfield need to understand the next play on the run.

All that being said the 'NO HUDDLE" is a super way to confuse, tire out and demoralize a defense. I hope the BILLS are sucessful with it

GOO BILLS!!!

my guess is the ones confused will be Lynch and those rookie linemen.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if we have more continuity with our new revamped O-line by mid season then we ever did with our old O-line. ( plus costing us millions less)

I share your concern for protecting TE

It would surprise me greatly if the new line is better then last years. The rookies could have IQ of 150 each and if they are being taught by coaches that don't know their jobs and can't teach them properly,then the IQ's are wasted. You could ask a hobo to teach brain surgery, and he can try to get the job done...

I'm hoping that Schonert and Kugler grew some brain cells over the off season and the line improves and the play calling improves.

1.) We will rank 15th-20th in offense

2.) We will rank 20th-25th in defense

3.) We will go 2-4 in the division

4) We will go 7-9 overall

5) Dick Jauron will finally get the axe

6) Russ Brandon will hire a no-name inexperienced coordinator to be the new coach of the Buffalo Bills

7) Owens will sign elsewhere

8) The team will go into a new rebuilding era

It would surprise me greatly if the new line is better then last years. The rookies could have IQ of 150 each and if they are being taught by coaches that don't know their jobs and can't teach them properly,then the IQ's are wasted. You could ask a hobo to teach brain surgery, and he can try to get the job done...

I'm hoping that Schonert and Kugler grew some brain cells over the off season and the line improves and the play calling improves.

Any chance he was just a first year OC and might improve?

1.) We will rank 15th-20th in offense

2.) We will rank 20th-25th in defense

3.) We will go 2-4 in the division

4) We will go 7-9 overall

5) Dick Jauron will finally get the axe

6) Russ Brandon will hire a no-name inexperienced coordinator to be the new coach of the Buffalo Bills

7) Owens will sign elsewhere

8) The team will go into a new rebuilding era

Why would our defense drop so much from last season when the return of Shobel and maturation of younger players suggests it would at least maintain it's overall ranking if not improve?

GO BILLS!!!