Vick suspended for 4 games.

nucci

Let's not forget about this being Marshawn's 2nd offense. Last year it was the hit and run. Not defending Vick, but I think Marshawn is getting off fairly easy.

Do we need to go over this again? :devil:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond absurd. If this is true, Goodell is an friggin asshat who has lost all credibility on the discipline issue.

Agreed. How can you possibly say you're being fair and instilling discipline to the league if a convicted felon, engaged in racketeering only gets a 4 game suspension? I really don't see how a year wouldn't be the minimum. Pacman's gotta be thinking WTF right about now.

I was going to post it in the other thread, but thought it absurd, then someone mentioned it here; I can only imagine the Pats*, Skins, or Cowboys must be interested in signing him.

Wow is all I can say. Wow.

Basically the 4 games would be in addition to the 2 years he has already been suspended. So a 2 and a 1/4 year suspension for gambling, dogfighting, and bringing disgrace to the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons in particular? That's fair.

Yes, those two years were such a meaningful suspension. They should rescind last year's suspension!

This guy is convicted of killing dogs, serves 2 years in federal prison for it after blatantly lying right to Roger Goodell's face about the entire incident, and he only gets 4 games?? How does what Marshawn did justify a 3 game suspension if what Vick just did only gets 4 games? If I was Marshawn I would be on the phone with the NFLPA trying to appeal the 3 game suspension ASAP...

So let me recap this:

Set up a big dogfighting operation on your property, kill numerous dogs for losing fights, lie to law enforcement and directly to the NFL commish's face about the entire incident, serve 2 years in the federal pen after being convicted at trial and get a 4 game suspension.

Go out with some friends, get found with a gun in the trunk and some weed that could not be determined whose it was, face no jail time at all from the legal system, get suspended 3 games.

Something doesn't jibe here...If Lynch gets 3 games for what he did, Vick should at least have been looking at 8-10 games if not an entire season. If Vick is only receiving a 4 game suspension, Marshawn's by comparison should be knocked down to 1...

This guy is convicted of killing dogs, serves 2 years in federal prison for it after blatantly lying right to Roger Goodell's face about the entire incident, and he only gets 4 games?? How does what Marshawn did justify a 3 game suspension if what Vick just did only gets 4 games? If I was Marshawn I would be on the phone with the NFLPA trying to appeal the 3 game suspension ASAP...

So let me recap this:

Set up a big dogfighting operation on your property, kill numerous dogs for losing fights, lie to law enforcement and directly to the NFL commish's face about the entire incident, serve 2 years in the federal pen after being convicted at trial and get a 4 game suspension.

Go out with some friends, get found with a gun in the trunk and some weed that could not be determined whose it was, face no jail time at all from the legal system, get suspended 3 games.

Something doesn't jibe here...If Lynch gets 3 games for what he did, Vick should at least have been looking at 8-10 games if not an entire season. If Vick is only receiving a 4 game suspension, Marshawn's by comparison should be knocked down to 1...

While I agree, in principle with most of what you said, Vick was not convicted at trial. He plead.

Basically the 4 games would be in addition to the 2 years he has already been suspended. So a 2 and a 1/4 year suspension for gambling, dogfighting, and bringing disgrace to the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons in particular? That's fair.

Cmon now, how stupid is this logic. A suspension results only when a player is available to play in a game and is not allowed to. That is, the suspension prevents him from playing in the game, when he otherwise could have played. You cannot "suspend" a person when the person cannot play anyways. It makes no sense. It would be like firing someone for not being at work when they are vacation---you have no logical expectation that employee will be at work, yet you hold that against them in some way...

If the guy can't play anyways because he is jail, you can't logically argue that he has been "suspended" that whole time. A suspension only counts when the player is missing games that he otherwise would have played in.

While I agree, in principle with most of what you said, Vick was not convicted at trial. He plead.

true enough, but the only reason you plead guilty and willingly face 2 years in a federal pen is because you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you would be looking at a whole lot more time if you went to trial and were found guilty, which would have likely been a mere formality, and also because you know you did it.

What an arbitrarily pointless suspension. There is no real logic to me why he is suspended other than for the NFL to say he was suspended. Just let him in or ban him for life. To me there are still going to be PETA protesters after 4 games. The 4 games are just window dressing no one who hates him is going to be satisfied with it and the rest of the people are going to say why?

If you think he is bad for the league ban him for life. If you simply don't care than let him in. This is just stupid corporate BS posturing that everyone is going to see through.

Cmon now, how stupid is this logic. A suspension results only when a player is available to play in a game and is not allowed to. That is, the suspension prevents him from playing in the game, when he otherwise could have played. You cannot "suspend" a person when the person cannot play anyways. It makes no sense. It would be like firing someone for not being at work when they are vacation---you have no logical expectation that employee will be at work, yet you hold that against them in some way...

If the guy can't play anyways because he is jail, you can't logically argue that he has been "suspended" that whole time. A suspension only counts when the player is missing games that he otherwise would have played in.

Do you think the amount of jail time a person is sentenced to, regardless of the crime, should directly affect how long he gets suspended for by the league? Or do you think Goodell should just say "this is what you did" and "this is what you get for it"? I'm just asking.

Do you think the amount of jail time a person is sentenced to, regardless of the crime, should directly affect how long he gets suspended for by the league? Or do you think Goodell should just say "this is what you did" and "this is what you get for it"? I'm just asking.

I think it should play some part in determining the final outcome, but not be the only determining factor in and of itself. I would have honestly thought that Goodell would have really thrown the book at him if for no other reason than him telling a complete lie to him in their meeting before all the facts came out. The real point I am trying to make is that the suspension for Lynch and the suspension for Vick seem to be on a totally different scale...I don't think many people will argue that what Lynch did was comparatively minor compared to what Vick did, yet the suspensions handed out say the acts were very similar in seriousness, which I disagree with...

Basically, what I am saying is I think the punishment should fit the crime and in this case I don't think it does...

You guys realize that Vick's operation would no doubt have been responsible for the deaths of THOUSANDS of animals; not just the dogs in the matches, but people's small pets that wander too far from the front yard, and all the ones advertised "Free To Good Homes" in the papers, many, MANY of those go to dogfighting pits, to be used for "practice", basically to get the fighting dogs used to the act of viciously tearing an animal to pieces.

Vick, in my opinion, should have been publicly hanged and the message sent to anyone else engaging in such atrocities against sentient creatures that they're next.

I hope he dies on the field.

Yes. IMO, Vick's crimes are quite a bit more serious than being caught with some weed or starting fights in strip joints. To put his suspension in that same ball park is to trivialize what he did.

I think it should play some part in determining the final outcome, but not be the only determining factor in and of itself. I would have honestly thought that Goodell would have really thrown the book at him if for no other reason than him telling a complete lie to him in their meeting before all the facts came out. The real point I am trying to make is that the suspension for Lynch and the suspension for Vick seem to be on a totally different scale...I don't think many people will argue that what Lynch did was comparatively minor compared to what Vick did, yet the suspensions handed out say the acts were very similar in seriousness, which I disagree with...

I understand your point, but to me it seems like a semantic argument. In my mind, his suspension was two years and four games. If he wouldn't have gone to jail, Goodell would very likely have suspended him for two full seasons. It clearly wouldn't have been more than two years and four games, based on the four games he got today. It could have been only one year and not two but I highly doubt it, especially since he added four more games this year.

So what Goodell is thinking is, for what he did, which was awful, does Vick deserve two years away from the game and a chance to rehabilitate himself? Or does he deserve four years away from the game, which will probably end his career?

I also think he said to himself the league has to do SOMETHING, so he decided two years in jail and four extra games from the league was the penalty to fit the crime. I don't have much problem with that. I may have gone a full year but probably not.

You also have to consider that if it's four games a team MIGHT give him a shot this year. If it's any more than that, the chances go way down.

Yes. IMO, Vick's crimes are quite a bit more serious than being caught with some weed or starting fights in strip joints. To put his suspension in that same ball park is to trivialize what he did.

Well, like I said in the post right above, IMO, Goodell is saying that 36 games away from the field is the right amount for that crime, not 64 games.

I understand your point, but to me it seems like a semantic argument. In my mind, his suspension was two years and four games. If he wouldn't have gone to jail, Goodell would very likely have suspended him for two full seasons. It clearly wouldn't have been more than two years and four games, based on the four games he got today. It could have been only one year and not two but I highly doubt it, especially since he added four more games this year.

So what Goodell is thinking is, for what he did, which was awful, does Vick deserve two years away from the game and a chance to rehabilitate himself? Or does he deserve four years away from the game, which will probably end his career?

I also think he said to himself the league has to do SOMETHING, so he decided two years in jail and four extra games from the league was the penalty to fit the crime. I don't have much problem with that. I may have gone a full year but probably not.

You also have to consider that if it's four games a team MIGHT give him a shot this year. If it's any more than that, the chances go way down.

So, if Vick didn't do any jail time, but decided to take a year off and tour Europe, does that still count as suspension?

The league has repeatedly said they don't have to comment on any possible suspension for Vick because he's in jail and it's a mute point. If the jail time was part of his suspension, why didn't they say he's currently serving a 2 year suspension? Fact is, Goodell dodged the issue for 2+ years and now hands down a "slap on the wrist" punishment.

I understand the interest in Vick but he is going to want to start with the team he chooses.

I seriously doubt the Bills would make any guarantees and the whole situation wouldn't make much sense in Buffalo.

There is no real reason for demoting Edwards to 2nd string.

It only took one post before somebody brought up the possible chance of him playing for Buffalo! :rolleyes:

He and Lynch get the same league punishment?

That's just bull sh--.

:wallbash: I'm mystified. I was sure it would be a one year suspension, positive of that!!

If this doesn't prove what a 'tard Goodell is...

I used to agree with Goodell about 90% of the time but I have to agree with that now.

Goodell's actions will become much clearer when the Pats* sign Vick......

That'd be really funny if it probably wasn't true.

ESPN reports that while Hitler did receive a season long suspension, Goodell will allow him to apply for early reinstatement after ten games if he refrains from committing further genocide.

Well, Hitler was punished by the Bills signing TO. :thumbsup:

You aren't missing anything. The total games suspended is 37 I believe.

Does it count as being suspended if you are in jail?

IMO, no. Uncle Sam suspended him for 37 games. The NFL did not. How long til somebody mentions the millions of dollars he lost. :wallbash:

If a player breaks both of his legs while sexually assaulting a woman and he's convicted of the rape charge. Then he's sentenced for six months house arrest and his legs heal well enough that he can play next season how long should his suspension be when he comes back?

Not saying they are the same thing. Just curious what people think.