Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

"Gates initially refused, demanding that I show him identification..."

That's fair enough, isn't it? Aren't police required to identify themselves, and show their badge, and such? Especially in a situation like this?

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you just assume that the cop was honest and Gates was lying?

Here is what I assume, and maybe you and Dean can follow this:

There were two police reports, one from the police officer in question and the second from a latin police officer. Both of their police reports were similar, they both said that Gates refused to show his ID when asked to do so. So just to start off, it is not just one police officer, but two, and the second one was latin. That is observation #1 and #2.

But the most telling evidence for me that Gates is a douchebag was the comments I heard from him this morning on CNN. Did you two happen to see it?

Last night when Obama was asked about this, I really didn't pay too much attention to it, because I knew nothing of it. This morning, I got up and turned on CNN, and I happened to hear this guy (Gates) who I knew nothing of, talking to the interviewer and a group of black people, and the rhetoric he was using was "racism in America" and he was preaching it, and after hearing a couple minutes of this guy talk, I knew that what he was trying to do was incite people against white police officers.

Then, I read the police reports, and when I saw the language that the police officers described as Gates using and from what I heard this morning and the "chip on his shoulder" that he had, and the hatred in the way he used words, that is how I came to the conclusion of what had probably happened.

Which is, Officer receives a call of a possible burglary, officer goes into home, officer asks possible suspect for ID, suspect becomes angered, suspect raises his voice and babbles racism in america, racist white cops, "do you know who I am" , police officers tell him to calm down, suspect refuses, officers getting impatient, suspect then provides ID, Gates proceeds to babble off more racist quotes, Gates then becomes disruptive yelling out racism to his neighbors, officers get pissed, officer arrests him.

So in conclusion, Gates is backward thinking individual, who did not behave rationally and that the officer could of handled it a little better. But, like AD mentioned before, there are many cops who will arrest someone for behaving disruptive and uncooperative with them.

The real racist, Gates, should be mocked publicly for his racist behavior. He used racism to infer that a white person was acting in a racist fashion without proof of racism. That makes him a racist.

Racist punks like him don't deserve any protection from the law if they abuse the law to help him. The jackass wasn't polite enough to realize the police was acting to help him. And I don't think the police are a bunch of saints, but that Gates is a racist and should be cited as such for his foul behavior.

Magox? Of course that is what he believes. He is one of the few "conservatives" to get snared in the OwensMania sting.

Ouch!! you've been waiting for that one havn't you?

This isn't a "conservative" issue, at least to me it's not, it is about a black man playing the racism card, when actually it was about a police officer that arrested a man, not because of race, but because of douchebaggery.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that, since you believe if a man cries racism, it's got to be true. :wallbash:

The real racist, Gates, should be mocked publicly for his racist behavior. He used racism to infer that a white person was acting in a racist fashion without proof of racism. That makes him a racist.

Racist punks like him don't deserve any protection from the law if they abuse the law to help him. The jackass wasn't polite enough to realize the police was acting to help him. And I don't think the police are a bunch of saints, but that Gates is a racist and should be cited as such for his foul behavior.

OwensMania may be gone, but this whack-job reminds us his fakakta ideas are still alive in this forum.

And to address the other posts, never confuse a police report with "truth". But thanks for the link , X.

Since when is calling someone a racist a crime? (as you just did)

Pretty narrow Constitution you have there.

Ouch!! you've been waiting for that one havn't you?

This isn't a "conservative" issue, at least to me it's not, it is about a black man playing the racism card, when actually it was about a police officer that arrested a man, not because of race, but because of douchebaggery.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that, since you believe if a man cries racism, it's got to be true. :wallbash:

No, I often see/read of accusations of racism that I find to be suspect and objectionable. This one rings true, based on my experience and knowledge. The fact that he was arrested on his porch reinforces that likely veracity, IMO. That s#it simply doesn't happen to white suspects, not in this area of the country, anyway. There is virtually no chance of a white Harvard professor being arrested on his own porch, because he called a cop a name, or yelled something objectionable, IMO. NONE.

I have to say, even though I don't agree with many of his policies, I've had a lot of respect for Obama up until today.

But making such comments shows him to be nothing more than an ignorant, race-baiting POS.

Apparently the entire world didn't understand what the President really meant when he said the Cambridge Police Department acted "stupidly."

According to my favorite press secretary ever, "Let me be clear, he was not calling the officer stupid," Gibbs told reporters as Obama landed in Cleveland for two health care events Thursday. :wallbash:

God bless, Gibbs. Best press secretary ever.

No, I often see/read of accusations of racism that I find to be suspect and objectionable. This one rings true, based on my experience and knowledge. The fact that he was arrested on his porch reinforces that likely veracity, IMO. That s#it simply doesn't happen to white suspects, not in this area of the country, anyway. There is virtually no chance of a white Harvard professor being arrested on his own porch, because he called a cop a name, or yelled something objectionable, IMO. NONE.

So let me get this straight, "This one rings true", because he is a black man that was arrested on his porch? Oh come on, you are too deep in it now to change your opinion on it, you and I both know it, but the guy was a douchebag, there is no denying it. That is why he was arrested not because he was black. How about thinking rationally here for a second, let's just say, for arguments sake, that the cop was racist, do you really think he would of acted with racism in front of other people, the neighbors and numerous police officers, after knowing that this guy was a harvard professor?

Of course you will rebuke that, and turn a blind eye to logic, it is pretty clear to me that this guy was a douchebag, and the cop got pissed and he arrested him.

That's what happened.

Apparently the entire world didn't understand what the President really meant when he said the Cambridge Police Department acted "stupidly."

According to my favorite press secretary ever, "Let me be clear, he was not calling the officer stupid," Gibbs told reporters as Obama landed in Cleveland for two health care events Thursday. :wallbash:

Funny. They usually leave that sort of Rhetorical Flourish to Biden.

That's fair enough, isn't it? Aren't police required to identify themselves, and show their badge, and such? Especially in a situation like this?

Ummm, it is my understanding that the police were uniformed officers (please correct me if I'm wrong); displaying their badges on their shirts, and arrived in a police car. If I am correct, that would presumptively identify them as police officers.

And asking for Gates' ID (not his college ID, but one issued by a government entity), would be the only way to, on-the-spot verify, that Gates was, in fact, in his own home.

Once upon a time, ten years ago, a guy I worked for - mid-50s, clean-cut and well-dressed, very successful, by any measure, and black - was pulled over at 10pm one night near Capitol Hill in his Cadillac Escalade. Asked for license, registration, asked to step out of the car and searched, has to stay leaning against the hood for ten minutes until they finally decide he's clean and let him go on home. For no other reason than he was a black man driving a Cadillac Escalade in DC at night (and no, there wasn't one stolen that night).

And my sister's first case as a public defender was when two cops saw a stolen Mercedes at a gas station, and arrested the first black man they could find, even though he was not only nowhere near the stolen Mercedes but was in his own car when he was arrested.

So when I think about Gates' actions in THAT context...it becomes a lot less clear-cut. You can't really assume that his reaction was to that specific instance of law enforcement, legitimate or not, as much as it was decades of pent-up frustration at the loads of bull sh-- the man has doubtlessly had to face.

But IN THIS CASE....Gates got nothing more than the same treatment we have ALL gotten from "the man" at one point or another in our lives.

However, this is also true. There have been at least two occasions in my life where, if I'd acted remotely as Gates did, I'd have been arrested on the spot (one of which would have resulted in felony rape charges...because I was "height profiled". That was a hell of a lot of fun.)

So like I said before: I can understand (intellectually) Gates' point of view. At the same time, it doesn't make him any less of an idiot for going off on a long tirade against an officer doing his legitimate duty.

God bless, Gibbs. Best press secretary ever.

You have children, don't you? You haven't taught them the difference between labeling a behavior vs. labeling a person. A child may do something bad, that doesn't make them a bad child. Smart people do stupid things, on occasion. The President's statement was very clear. He said they "acted stupidly". He didn't call them stupid. Clear as day, and you know that.

Another thing people are forgetting is that Gates has spent a large part of his career discussing, writing and teaching about racial profiling. It's a very sensitive subject to him.

I have no doubt that he was an arrogant prick to the police, and AD was absolutely correct that a cop is going to drag you in just for that. But that doesn't make the cop any less of a prick than Gates. They were both being equal jerks just based on who they think they are.

But, I also have no doubt that people here have a completely different reaction to a cop coming to your door accusing you of breaking into your own house than a 60 year old black professor does.