IF We had a small Mall Downtown

Bufcomments

To the Public Officials who run this town.....

Downtown could use a large strip Mall. Not a Walden Gallarina but someplace where you can do some one spot shopping.

Put a Target or a large Walmart somewhere close to HSBC arena.

Something like the one across the street from UB south but bigger.

Do you really think that a Bass Pro would do better than Walmart in the old Aud location???

I would love to see a maga Walmart go up in that spot. Think of all the feeder stories that might pop up.

Burger King, McD's, Pizza hut, you name it.

Walmart would be the top store, Wegmans would be a nice fit also.

Instead of trying to lure the fishermen downtown, why not put something there that EVERYBODY could use.

It would be visable from the 90, and the Skyway.

Steal some of the customers that use the Peace Bridge to get to the USA that are going to the Walden Gallarina.

Steal some money from the people who live in the suburbs but work in the city.

Give people who dont have cars that live and work downtown a nice place to shop.

It is way over due IMO

Thoughts please

You clearly have never heard of "The Main Place Mall."

We already had that. It failed, miserably. A Mall downtown does no good because hardly anyone lives down there to shop in it. The main place mall failed for that reason alone. Their only business was the customers at lunch time during the work week.

We already had that. It failed, miserably. A Mall downtown does no good because hardly anyone lives down there to shop in it. The main place mall failed for that reason alone. Their only business was the customers at lunch time during the work week.

I think the Main Place Mall is great. 2 locations of Gino and Joe's for pizza, and 3 places to buy baby shoes!

don't downplay the draw of a bass pro shop....until i went to one just north of richmond, i didn't get it...the place is cool, and people come from all over to shop there...i am not an outdoorsman or what bass pro would consider part of their target market, but i was even impressed and would definitely go back to shop...its also a great place to take kids...they have lots of things for kids to see and do.....

To the Public Officials who run this town.....

Downtown could use a large strip Mall. Not a Walden Gallarina but someplace where you can do some one spot shopping.

Put a Target or a large Walmart somewhere close to HSBC arena.

Something like the one across the street from UB south but bigger.

Do you really think that a Bass Pro would do better than Walmart in the old Aud location???

I would love to see a maga Walmart go up in that spot. Think of all the feeder stories that might pop up.

Burger King, McD's, Pizza hut, you name it.

Walmart would be the top store, Wegmans would be a nice fit also.

Instead of trying to lure the fishermen downtown, why not put something there that EVERYBODY could use.

It would be visable from the 90, and the Skyway.

Steal some of the customers that use the Peace Bridge to get to the USA that are going to the Walden Gallarina.

Steal some money from the people who live in the suburbs but work in the city.

Give people who dont have cars that live and work downtown a nice place to shop.

It is way over due IMO

Thoughts please

Chain stores and corporate shill is exactly what any downtown shopping district doesn't need. There's certainly no Wal-Mart or Target store on 5th Avenue, last time I was in NYC.

Downtown needs high-society, boutique clothing and furniture stores. American Apparel would make a killing downtown, or on Elmwood or in Allentown, where there's an ever growing professional youth culture. No one stop, all inclusive shops. We need stretches of different retailers down Main Street like it was 60 years ago. My grandfather would talk about going to the "hat" store, then to go get a suit, then shoes, all separately. This is what we need here again. The waterfront luxury apartments are a step in the right direction. Buffalo needs to raise a new generation from 20 and 30 something professionals, that don't have a boat load of kids, worried about classroom sizes and school safety. Make living downtown a sign of success, that one can afford to do it, not something that's considered unsafe, seedy, or humorous that you wanna live in a hub of culture and history. No offense, but BK and McDonald's are not exactly high society dining.

There needs to be more activity and traffic in the city. Yes, it would make travel more stressful. However, being able to get from the court house to my apartment in the Town of Tonawanda in 9 minutes is NOT a good thing.

Chain stores and corporate shill is exactly what any downtown shopping district doesn't need. There's certainly no Wal-Mart or Target store on 5th Avenue, last time I was in NYC.

Downtown needs high-society, boutique clothing and furniture stores. American Apparel would make a killing downtown, or on Elmwood or in Allentown, where there's an ever growing professional youth culture. No one stop, all inclusive shops. We need stretches of different retailers down Main Street like it was 60 years ago. My grandfather would talk about going to the "hat" store, then to go get a suit, then shoes, all separately. This is what we need here again. The waterfront luxury apartments are a step in the right direction. Buffalo needs to raise a new generation from 20 and 30 something professionals, that don't have a boat load of kids, worried about classroom sizes and school safety. Make living downtown a sign of success, that one can afford to do it, not something that's considered unsafe, seedy, or humorous that you wanna live in a hub of culture and history. No offense, but BK and McDonald's are not exactly high society dining.

There needs to be more activity and traffic in the city. Yes, it would make travel more stressful. However, being able to get from the court house to my apartment in the Town of Tonawanda in 9 minutes is NOT a good thing.

Does anyone actually live DOWN TOWN that's on this thread?

Good call. It completely ignores the reality that Malls are dying all over the country but surely a big shopping center with a bunch of minimum wage jobs is exactly what Buffalo needs to reverse a half century economic downturn.

:rolleyes:

Federal minimum wage rises from $6.55 to $7.55 this coming Friday. Add to that, the higher bite from employer contributions for FICA and State workman's comp and unemployment fund assessments.

A 40 hour per week employee will cost an employer an extra $112 per month, plus the percentages for the other stuff.

Nice timing...that should result in people getting canned and struggling small businesses closing up shop.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/06/news/econo..._wage/index.htm

I think the Main Place Mall is great. 2 locations of Gino and Joe's for pizza, and 3 places to buy baby shoes!

If you dont live in the city or work downtown you wouldn't know there a Main place mall.

My point being they need something downtown to attract people to go downtown.

I like a shopping center better than a mall...... would be nice .

to the poster who said it would only bring low wages jobs in so what???

It would create jobs to a city that needs them.

Sure looks like another office building from the outside, that's why it failed. Been there many times. My point is location location location.

Sure looks like another office building from the outside, that's why it failed. Been there many times. My point is location location location.

The Main place mall is located on Main street... in pretty much the direct center of all business activity in downtown Buffalo... you can't pick a better location than that.

The Main place mall is located on Main street... in pretty much the direct center of all business activity in downtown Buffalo... you can't pick a better location than that.
But can you see the stores from outside....umm no....

Thats the problem with Main Place....

Locals know its there

People from out of town don't

Thoughts please

IMO, retail will never flourish in downtown Buffalo as long as the majority of the CBD workforce essentially remains 'back office' types with limited time (or money) to shop on a lunch break and/or during mid-day.

I've worked downtown for over 25 years and IMO, the office demographic just isn't condusive to having the time to support large scale retail. In metro areas with higher real estate prices, or more true white collar 'professionals,' a large, large percentage of the downtown workforce would be working elsewhere (suburban office parks) rather than in the CBD. These 'pink collar' people essentially drive in, have limited time to get out of their buildings, and then drive immediately home at the end of the day. Not much of a market for large scale retail.

The Bass Pro argument is based on drawing people from outside the downtown workforce. It may not work, but it has a better chance if they can build up enough amenities (waterfront, etc.) to entice people who do have time to shop to chose downtown rather than the suburbs.

IMO, retail will never flourish in downtown Buffalo as long as the majority of the CBD workforce essentially remains 'back office' types with limited time (or money) to shop on a lunch break and/or during mid-day.

I've worked downtown for over 25 years and IMO, the office demographic just isn't condusive to having the time to support large scale retail. In metro areas with higher real estate prices, or more true white collar 'professionals,' a large, large percentage of the downtown workforce would be working elsewhere (suburban office parks) rather than in the CBD. These 'pink collar' people essentially drive in, have limited time to get out of their buildings, and then drive immediately home at the end of the day. Not much of a market for large scale retail.

The Bass Pro argument is based on drawing people from outside the downtown workforce. It may not work, but it has a better chance if they can build up enough amenities (waterfront, etc.) to entice people who do have time to shop to chose downtown rather than the suburbs.

Which is the case in most urban centers. All are deserted after work hours. The only retail that can be sustained in downtowns are the services for the office workers. Downtown NYC is a ghost town after hours. The retailing supports the tourist throngs in select destinations. But other retail is lunch time restaurants & pharmacies.

People do not shop downtowns anymore, because it's a PITA

Very good reply I understand where you are coming from. Limited lunch breaks prevent shopping .True

But you still need something more than a Bass Pro to attract non office workers downtown IMO

I does not have to be a Walmart but you need something to get people to go downtown on the regular

Darien Lake would look good on the waterfront, just saying.

I lived in downtown Buffalo for 3 years before moving to NYC. I lived right in Allentown and loved it.

That said, I always thought that turning the Main Place Mall center into Buffalo's version of Quincy Market in Boston may have worked. It would have entailed relocating many of the unique, higher-end shops and restaurants that make Buffalo what it is, but the concept would be that people would shop downtown if there were unique and good shops, all in one place, where you did not have to worry about driving and parking multiple times.

You would centrally locate shops like Pitt Petri, Bomi, Riverside Mens Shop, Buffalo Inc., Reed-Jenss etc. Build a central food market with good with evrything from Charlie the Butcher and Duffs/Jim's SteakOut to higher-end stuff. You add a mini-Broadway market for food and perhaps a Spot coffee. You add a few nationals that attract shoppers willing to spend money like Talbots, Chicos, etc. and you just may have something. Add in a couple of happy-hour style pubs.

You could attract the stores by essentially providing large tax abatements in the hopes that more and more stores would re-locate there. The city could make back the $$ via a % of the sales tax spent at these stores. If the idea hits, it would take off, much like the renovation of Chippewa Street.