Why isn't Joe Cribbs on Wall of Fame?

Face it, if not for Bill Polian the 90's Bills would have never ever gone anywhere.RW didn't want to sign Kelly and pay him, again Polian talks him into it. If left to his own devices Ralph Wilson would have screwed the team over and over to save money.(sound Familiar?) I don't dislike Cribbs because he left, I don't blame him at all.

I will never understand fans, who hate players, who advantage of their opportunities, earned because of their talent. Amazing how many people, not even Colts fans, who write off John Elway as a punk, because he opted to pursue his baseball career, rather than play for the dysfunctional Colts. Cribbs jumped to the USFL, because, like most every player on the Bills at that time, he was being underpaid. Unlike other Bills players though, he had a great opportunity elsewhere. That opportunity was earned... even the revered Jim Kelly exercised the same option, without having played a down of pro-football.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cribbs jumped to the USFL, because, like most every player on the Bills at that time, he was being underpaid.

I'll just keep saying it: Cribbs jumped to the USFL because his agent was a silent partner in a USFL team.

He did the same thing to Detroit, as he was also Billy Sims' agent.

Jerry Argovitz went to jail due to this conflict of interest, among other crimes.

Thurman was our best RB, OJ was 2 and Cookie would kick the crap out of you for forgetting him.

Cribbs was another in a long like of okay backs like Bell, Harmon, Miller, Henry, Mcgahee who had lots of talent but had numerous flaws, a lot of times with his head.

VA Bills--obviously a youngster

I vividly remember Joe Cribbs as I started following the Bills seriously in about 1968-69.

He was a very good player. I liked him a lot. He was a team player, even swallowing his ego to block for #1 pick Greg Bell after he got back from the other league.

He was an all-around back and one of my favorites.

That being said, I think it's a bit insulting to even suggest he was in Thurman's league. Not close IMO. To me that's roughly like saying Joe Ferguson was nearly as good as Jim Kelly.

or that Thurman was nearly as good as OJ

Cribbs:

Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.

1980 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.

1981 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 2nd team all-NFL

1983 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.

1983 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.

You'd be wrong. OJ was obviously a far better "running" running back. But TT was the complete threat and a blocker. To me Thurman Thomas* was better all around than OJ was.
agree :lol:

Thurman Thomas was by far the Bills best running back ever, he was 3/4 of that K-gun offense. As good as Dan Marino was I can recall him stating that he wished the Dolphins could find a back like Thomas. Elway stated the same thing about Thurman, wishing the Bronco's had a back like Thomas.

I think everyone has agreed that Cribbs was a great back for his first three years with the Bills.

To repeat what some have been saying repeatedly, including myself! Joe Cribbs was a very good RB for 3 years

But! Because he choose to leave Buffalo and go to the USFL, he cut his own throat. So cry...whine...bleat...rant and it will get you nowhere, so get over it.

He will NEVER be on the wall or get into the hall, just the way it is.

He tried to return to the NFL somewhere other the Bills. FO made him honor his contract - what a concept.

It's not the wall of head cases, but just a thought - we could start that in a different part of the stadium - the part with plumbing.

I think everyone has agreed that Cribbs was a great back for his first three years with the Bills.

To repeat what some have been saying repeatedly, including myself! Joe Cribbs was a very good RB for 3 years

But! Because he choose to leave Buffalo and go to the USFL, he cut his own throat. So cry...whine...bleat...rant and it will get you nowhere, so get over it.

He will NEVER be on the wall or get into the hall, just the way it is.

Some of the young guys just do not get it. Cribbs is as well thought of by those of us that watched him play as Willis McGahee, & Jason Peters. :devil:

Thurman was our best RB, OJ was 2 and Cookie would kick the crap out of you for forgetting him.

Cribbs was another in a long like of okay backs like Bell, Harmon, Miller, Henry, Mcgahee who had lots of talent but had numerous flaws, a lot of times with his head.

This has got to be the most ridiculously ignorant post I've read this year. None of those had NEAR the talent that Joe Cribbs displayed while in Buffalo.

Sometimes it's better not to post than to show that you have no idea what you are talking about :devil:

This has got to be the most ridiculously ignorant post I've read this year. None of those had NEAR the talent that Joe Cribbs displayed while in Buffalo.

Sometimes it's better not to post than to show that you have no idea what you are talking about :devil:

So, how have you been Joe?

Has anyone said he wasn't good? The discussion was on if he was WOF-worthy.

Of all the responses out there, you had to try and flame mine?? lol.

"well said.

still my favorite bill of all-time. He was a special back. Those that don't believe, don't know much about football, or havent really seen him play"

^^^^ was my quote you decide to flame...

I never said people were saying he wasnt good... people in this thread likened him to travis henry, ronnie harmon, greg bell. He was a better RB than all 3 of those guys by far. You can bring up all the numbers you wanna look at...I look at the player and what he did on the field. He was special. An electric back. Whether or not he was WoF worthy....wasnt even mentioned in my post. I simply think he was an amazing player. Ralph Wilson, and his treatment of Cribbs' contract situation is the reason some people downplay how good he was. Either that, or they never say him play, or don;t know football, as expressed previously.

He was a hell of a RB for the Bills and one of the best when he played!!

For turning his back on the team and going to the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL and then going to Miami after a short return to the Bills.

For turning his back on the team and going to the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL and then going to Miami after a short return to the Bills.

He didn't turn his back on the Bills. He chose to exercise his option (earned because he was very talented) to play for more money elsewhere. Wouldn't you go to do the same job you have now, somewhere else, if someone offered you 4 or 5 times more to do it? Why should he be any different?

As for "going to Miami" for a short stint, the Bills traded him, to the San Francisco 49ers, IIRC the day after they finally signed Jim Kelly. They were dumping salary to accomodate Kelly. He spent a few seasons in San Francisco, but was very beat up (playing 4 seasons of pro football in 3 years), was released, and ended his career as a Dolphin, just like Thurman.

Should he have shriveled up like a little girl, when the Bills traded him, and retired, because he only wanted to play for the Bills, the team that wouldn't pay him what he was worth?