Question for California folks:

I'm sort of rooting for this to happen. I wan to see if it can really work or if all heck would break loose. Weed is already semi-legal now with a very liberal medical dispensary system, and some counties allowing cultivation for personal use. Can anyone offr any insight?

PTR

In a study of 100 young girls it was determined that smoking marijuana doubled the chance of her turning into a crack whore. Is that what you want for your daughter? Hmm?

Also consider this, while marijuana may indeed not be very harmful in and of itself, many fine police officers, DEA agents, and FBI agents have lost their lives against hardened criminals selling this illegal drug.

It is also a Gateway drug. Sure it is not very addictive, but since it is illegal people, consort with these criminals who sell other more dangerous drugs.

If you can't see how dangerous it is with these simple facts, I feel you are lost cause.

Ok to be honest, only the first one was made up. The rest are real objections to marijuana.

:thumbsup:

It is also a Gateway drug. Sure it is not very addictive, but since it is illegal people, consort with these criminals who sell other more dangerous drugs.

So, if it were legal and people didn't have to buy it from criminals....would it still be a "gateway drug"?

Good link.

EDIT: Oh, of course you can use that as you see fit.

Cool. That link just adds to my personal theory. That is, you are either an addictive personality type or you aren't. Sure certain things have addictive properties, but the underlying personality is what either reinforces or helps reject it. Your quote struck me as particularly funny since it demonstrates how statistics can be misused. Ban the milk!

Nice line, may I sig that?

Oh and link.

I saw a link about 2 or 3 weeks ago where some congressman used that line while questioning to someone about legalizing. Can't remember for the life of me the people/situation involved. I'll try to look around for it.

I saw a link about 2 or 3 weeks ago where some congressman used that line while questioning to someone about legalizing. Can't remember for the life of me the people/situation involved. I'll try to look around for it.

Thanks.

Curious as to your take, you are a police officer I believe. How do you think legalization would effect your line of work? I know there are testing issues for driving under the influence and such. Mind you, I consider a stoned driver far safer than a drunk one, although impaired.

In a study of 100 young girls it was determined that smoking marijuana doubled the chance of her turning into a crack whore. Is that what you want for your daughter? Hmm?

Also consider this, while marijuana may indeed not be very harmful in and of itself, many fine police officers, DEA agents, and FBI agents have lost their lives against hardened criminals selling this illegal drug.

If you can't see how dangerous it is with these simple facts, I feel you are lost cause.

Ok to be honest, only the first one was made up. The rest are real objections to marijuana.

:thumbsup:

I don't smoke marijuana, but I know plenty of people who do and have no problems with it. You might be surprised at the amount of people who smoke marijuana. I was amazed at how many of my co-workers who do and lead very normal lives. It's hardly as dangerous as you make it out to be. Some grow their own and never deal with the criminals who are selling it. Also, many of your so called criminals are pretty harmless and would never get into any life & death battle with the law enforcement people. It's more at the much higher level of the sellers (like organized crime & big players) where lives are endangered than the local drug dealer who sells the average joe some weed. Also, if you decriminalize it, your arguments against it go away. So isn't it simpler to decriminalize it, tax it & do away with all the reasons you state why it's dangerous?

Yes, it is going to happen. Voting to legalize weed for "medicinal" purposes was step one. The opening of pot stores was step two. The cops and the feds having to attend to bigger issues is step three. For some of the non-users they only have this image of Cheech and Chong and fears that all use means abuse, addiction and gateway options. A shop will be opening soon in my neighborhood (Pacific Beach - San Diego) next to a Bank of America. That will be the third store in the neighborhood. There is no pushing and shoving and no panic. The bigger concern in my neighborhood is the alcohol abuse and drunk driving. Some say the herb helps them and who am I to say it doesn't.

Thanks.

Curious as to your take, you are a police officer I believe. How do you think legalization would effect your line of work? I know there are testing issues for driving under the influence and such. Mind you, I consider a stoned driver far safer than a drunk one, although impaired.

Here's the video:

Rep Steve Cohen and FBI director Robert Mueller

No, I'm not a police officer. In the past my job has had me working directly with law enforcement, but never in the drug field or traffic stops.

That bastard stole my line! :lol:

:lol: Truth is, that particular comparison has been around for years, I certainly didn't just come up with it today.

I understand Mueller taking that position...he pretty much has to. I've talked to several drug task force guys, and every one of them has told me they think the current pot laws are horrible. They stopped short of saying it should be legal, of course, and I am sure they would defend the laws publicly, if asked. I honestly believe they would breathe a sigh of relief if there time and resources were freed up to fight real drug problems. And while they probably don't currently prioritize marijuana, since it is illegal it has to move through criminal operations...so they are involved with it because they pursue criminals.

I'm sort of rooting for this to happen. I wan to see if it can really work or if all heck would break loose. Weed is already semi-legal now with a very liberal medical dispensary system, and some counties allowing cultivation for personal use. Can anyone offr any insight?

PTR

like..they found urine in my weed..over at the shelter

:lol:

Lots of agents died during Prohibition too. It's your choice to smoke pot, but if it were legal, it could be taxed, regulated, distributed, shipped, and traded legally. Legalizing something dries up the illegal market real quick. Legal Pot=zero crime related to illegal marijuana trade.