this time, last year, what were you thinking about...

I thought Hardy was going to be the Bills Vincent Jackson and Ellis was going to be another Justin Tuck.

I had McKelvin, Derek Fine and Omon just about right.

The rest, I didn't really know or care about.

I'll start by apologizing. I'm not normally someone to piss all over a thread (on purpose).

That said, you can easily use the search feature and read to your heart's content what we were writing a year ago.

I was more hopeul for Hardy and Omon than what they showed, and wasn't expecting as much out of McKelvin as he showed us. Also, I was thought McCargo might emerge as a disruptor on the D-Line.

I'll start by apologizing. I'm not normally someone to piss all over a thread (on purpose).

That said, you can easily use the search feature and read to your heart's content what we were writing a year ago.

I was more hopeul for Hardy and Omon than what they showed, and wasn't expecting as much out of McKelvin as he showed us. Also, I was thought McCargo might emerge as a disruptor on the D-Line.

I already used the search feature to my hearts content: My heart didn't want to use the search feature.

Thanks for your input, Mommy.

I thought Hardy was going to be the Bills Vincent Jackson and Ellis was going to be another Justin Tuck.

Considering that Jackson had 0 tds and Hardy had 2 plus Tuck had 1 sack in his first 2 seasons, you weren't that far off.

Fans hate patience.

Considering that Jackson had 0 tds and Hardy had 2 plus Tuck had 1 sack in his first 2 seasons, you weren't that far off.

Fans hate patience.

Most teams hate patience too. For better or worse its a win now league. And the way the Falcons and Fins bounced back so quick proves that every team feels they can rebuild in one off season.

Most teams hate patience too. For better or worse its a win now league. And the way the Falcons and Fins bounced back so quick proves that every team feels they can rebuild in one off season.

True and having top 5 picks helps a ton too (except if you're the Lions). The Bills just been so average that we don't every get the sure fire franchise changing players.

True and having top 5 picks helps a ton too (except if you're the Lions). The Bills just been so average that we don't every get the sure fire franchise changing players.

Thus the Bills have tended to grasp for the J.P.Losmans, Willis McGahees, John McCargos...

If only the Bills didn't beat so many horrible teams.

I only look at picks in the first two rounds to have any major impact to the team. So guys like Ellis and Fine were not on my radar but I thought that down the line Ellis could be the replacement for Kelsay. I actually kept Hardy in perspective and thought he would be a project that would be good in two to three years. So for his rookie year I thought 4-5 TD's 500-600 yards.

As for McKelvin I thought that the Bills were going to use him as depth and than groom him for when Greer left. Basically a pick for the future so I didn't see him having a huge impact unless someone went down or on special teams. I thought last years draft was one that was made for the future not for last year.

Last years draft grades out to a C for me (So far) the McKelvin pick was really good. The jury is still out on Hardy but it isn't looking good. As for the rest of the draft Fine looks to be a nice back up/role player so we got some production out of him. Than Ellis the jury is still out. But if Ellis could develop into even a good back up/rotational guy at DE than at least we got some pieces (Even if they are small pieces) out of the later rounds of the draft.

It wasn't just Jake Long Even than the Fins added a bunch of small unknown pieces to the puzzle (Who knew who Anthony Fasano was) and a bunch of veterans who were cast off for bad reasons (Pennington and Jason Fergueson) than built up the offensive line with picks and free agent grabs (Justine Smiley and Jake Long). Than the Fins instilled a new coaching staff whose play not to loose philosophy got them 10 more wins and a division title.

I doubt the kind of player you are able to get at pick number 1-5 is going to be 20 times better than a guy at pick number 11. It was a good draft and a combination of luck and savvy pick ups that led to the Fins turn around.

There have been tons of franchise changing players in the range of 10-20 every year in the draft.

I only look at picks in the first two rounds to have any major impact to the team. So guys like Ellis and Fine were not on my radar but I thought that down the line Ellis could be the replacement for Kelsay. I actually kept Hardy in perspective and thought he would be a project that would be good in two to three years. So for his rookie year I thought 4-5 TD's 500-600 yards.

As for McKelvin I thought that the Bills were going to use him as depth and than groom him for when Greer left. Basically a pick for the future so I didn't see him having a huge impact unless someone went down or on special teams. I thought last years draft was one that was made for the future not for last year.

Last years draft grades out to a C for me (So far) the McKelvin pick was really good. The jury is still out on Hardy but it isn't looking good. As for the rest of the draft Fine looks to be a nice back up/role player so we got some production out of him. Than Ellis the jury is still out. But if Ellis could develop into even a good back up/rotational guy at DE than at least we got some pieces (Even if they are small pieces) out of the later rounds of the draft.

Day one picks:

Lynch, Posluszny, Edwards

Whitner, McCargo, Youboty

(no one - guess why), Parrish, Everett

Evans, Losman, Tim Anderson

McGahee, Kelsay, Crowell

Sure looks like the core of a 7-9 team.

Day one picks:

Lynch, Posluszny, Edwards

Whitner, McCargo, Youboty

(no one - guess why), Parrish, Everett

Evans, Losman, Tim Anderson

McGahee, Kelsay, Crowell

Sure looks like the core of a 7-9 team.

Well Lynch, Poz, and Edwards looks like a great draft. But yeah if you wiff on day one picks like they have in the TD era you will be a 7-9 team. Also like in the Marv/Russ era if you don't get the best value for your picks you might not get past 7-9. Whitner isn't a bust but they should have taken Nagta. Also it didn't help that year that they got McCargo who is looking like a bust.

Although say what you will about the 2006 draft it wasn't a disaster. They pick up Butler who is a valuable piece along the O-line and Kyle Williams who is a decent starter and in a rotational role has value. They also got Youboty who adds depth to the secondary. Not to mention Whitner isn't a bad player either. If McCargo could develop I could see that draft getting a B or B- but so far it gets a C- from me.

Well Lynch, Poz, and Edwards looks like a great draft. But yeah if you wiff on day one picks like they have in the TD era you will be a 7-9 team. Also like in the Marv/Russ era if you don't get the best value for your picks you might not get past 7-9. Whitner isn't a bust but they should have taken Nagta. Also it didn't help that year that they got McCargo who is looking like a bust.

Although say what you will about the 2006 draft it wasn't a disaster. They pick up Butler who is a valuable piece along the O-line and Kyle Williams who is a decent starter and in a rotational role has value. They also got Youboty who adds depth to the secondary. Not to mention Whitner isn't a bad player either. If McCargo could develop I could see that draft getting a B or B- but so far it gets a C- from me.

To me, trading the 2005 #1 to the Cowboys to move up and reach for Losman in 2004, combined with making the gadget pick for Parrish (with so many other needs) in 2005 just about accounts for where the Bills are today. McCargo and Youboty didn't help either, but it was the Losman dream that was killer. Talk about taking a flier...

To me, trading the 2005 #1 to the Cowboys to move up and reach for Losman in 2004, combined with making the gadget pick for Parrish (with so many other needs) in 2005 just about accounts for where the Bills are today. McCargo and Youboty didn't help either, but it was the Losman dream that was killer. Talk about taking a flier...

Wasn't the spin that Losman was going to prove out better than Manning, Rivers and the Human Cruise Missile?

Tom, Tom...???? Have they extracted his head fully from his sphincter yet?

Yeah anytime you wiff on a QB it sets your franchise back. Than when you combine the fact that you used not one but 2 first round picks on that guy you really set your franchise back. Hopefully Edwards leads us to the promise land but the jury is still out and I would like to see him play a full season healthy.

Big time players left on the board in the 2005 draft at the pick that was traded for Losman.

Aaron Rodgers

Luis Castillo

Heath Miller

Logan Mankins

Roddy White

Now hindsight is 20/20 but at the time you knew that they gave up too much to trade up and get Losman. If you thought Losman was the answer fine but did you have to overpay for him by a mile.

at least your expectations were not unrealistic!

I didnt like Hardy before the draft, hated that the Bills took him and like him even less now...the guy lumbers more like a TE then he runs like a WR

I really thought Hardy would make an impact. Not the way he did, though. I'm not ready to write him off yet, but he was completely unimpressive before his injury. Didn't even seem to have potential.

at least your expectations were not unrealistic!

I didnt like Hardy before the draft, hated that the Bills took him and like him even less now...the guy lumbers more like a TE then he runs like a WR

And catches like Robert Royal.......urf.

I felt that McKelvin would have a very solid career. I also felt (and feel) that he'd leave Buffalo after his first contract was over.

I wasn't too happy when the Bills took Hardy--my heart was set on Limas Sweed. In two or three years, we'll see how smart or foolish that particular preference looks.

I didn't have a strong feeling one way or the other about Ellis. I thought, if he turns into a good DE, then great! But you're usually not going to get a first-rate DE in the third round.

I also felt that the odds were against getting a first-rate TE in the fourth round, which is why I didn't get my hopes up for Fine.

There are quality players to be had in every round, as evidenced by the pro-bowlers who emerge from later rounds. Sure, they have missed on a few guys the last few years, but there have been good picks in all the rounds, and Lynch (on the field) and McKelvin, I'd say, are cerainly worthy of their spots. I don't know what the difference was, but this years draft seemed better, still, than recent ones, and, if Hardy and McCargo turn out to be good players, then our recent drafts will have been pretty good; Trent Edwards, Steve Johnson, Byrd, and Corner could all end up steals. I think we just haven't hit as much on free agent aquisitions - not the right guys, and not enough of them. I'm thinking our drafting has been pretty good. We do have a young roster, and compared to other NFL teams, a great deal of our roster was drafted by us. If things work out this year, (we say it every year), then next year there shouldn't be too many holes to fill, and we should have a good core of young guys to keep the team built around.

There are quality players to be had in every round, as evidenced by the pro-bowlers who emerge from later rounds. Sure, they have missed on a few guys the last few years, but there have been good picks in all the rounds, and Lynch (on the field) and McKelvin, I'd say, are cerainly worthy of their spots. I don't know what the difference was, but this years draft seemed better, still, than recent ones, and, if Hardy and McCargo turn out to be good players, then our recent drafts will have been pretty good; Trent Edwards, Steve Johnson, Byrd, and Corner could all end up steals. I think we just haven't hit as much on free agent aquisitions - not the right guys, and not enough of them. I'm thinking our drafting has been pretty good. We do have a young roster, and compared to other NFL teams, a great deal of our roster was drafted by us. If things work out this year, (we say it every year), then next year there shouldn't be too many holes to fill, and we should have a good core of young guys to keep the team built around.

For me this draft hinges on Byrd. If the reach pick turns out good, I think Maybin performs and the Oline additions were clearly called for. So if Byrd is all they seem to think he is, it can be a really good draft.

I was thrilled with the pick of McKelvin. I knew it would take a little time before he could show just how good a CB he can be. A lot of people on this board(you know who you are)were calling McKelvin a bust halfway through the season, and I could'nt understand why. He's shown his worth to me as both a CB and KR. This season will be the real test for him, as he will be a full time starter.

I had high hopes for James Hardy. I saw him as being the red zone impact WR that we needed, and after the Jacksonville game, I thought thats what we got. Unfortunately Hardy's impact was minimal. I was'nt expecting a 1,000 yard season and 10 TD's, but I did'nt understand why Hardy did'nt get much of an opportunity at times. Maybe he was'nt catching onto the game fast enough. I'm fine with giving players a couple of years to develop, and I think Hardy can be successful. Although the ACL injury does concern me.

As for Chris Ellis, I did not expect much from him. I saw him as being a situational pass rusher and having a minimal impact. Let's see how he does this year.

Derek Fine looks like a solid TE, not a pro bowler, but a player who can get the job done.

The two players who I am most intrigued with from this draft are Reggie Corner & Steve Johnson. Both players came on late last season and look like steals. I am hoping that they both get as many opportunities as the team can give them.