No bias here....

So when Hill'ry turned her back on NYS for almost three years during the run-up and then the campaign for the Democratic nomination she was a multi-tasking woman of the 21st Century. When Sarah Palin climbs aboard the VP express for six months, she's investigated for dereliction of duty and misuse of state officials.

Gee, go figure....

Speaking of Hillary, big shock that she screwed New York out of $260MM.

bah...NY doesn't need that money from foreigners

NYS residents will get to shoulder that missing 260 million load!

btw, what are WNY'ers paying for sales tax right now? my parents just visited Buffalo and came back to NH muttering something about 13.25%? It seems to be too high to believe...but then again, this is NY we're talking about.

bah...NY doesn't need that money from foreigners

NYS residents will get to shoulder that missing 260 million load!

btw, what are WNY'ers paying for sales tax right now? my parents just visited Buffalo and came back to NY muttering something about 13.25%? It seems to be too high to believe...but then again, this is NY we're talking about.

Selfish attitude.

Barack Obama's speech Thursday in Germany may have grabbed the attention of the crowd of 200,000 with its outline of his world view, but his introduction was enough to catch attention back home.

"I come to Berlin as so many of my countrymen have come before, although tonight, I speak to you not as a candidate for president, but as a citizen -- a proud citizen of the United States, and a fellow citizen of the world," Obama said from his perch next to the Victory Column in Berlin, from which he could see throngs of spectators

Its all one happy family

btw, what are WNY'ers paying for sales tax right now? my parents just visited Buffalo and came back to NY muttering something about 13.25%? It seems to be too high to believe...but then again, this is NY we're talking about.

Isn't raising taxes on the "rich" great? :lol:

13.25% sales tax? Are you serious!?

That is unbelievable.

You're right, it's unbelievable because it shouldn't be believed, because it's untrue. The sales tax in NYS varies from county to county and as of the end of last year, it varied from around 7% to 8.75% (with the highest I think being Erie County which is 8.75).

There are other state and local taxes the person may be adding into the sales tax. The highest average sales tax in the country last year was TN, which was 9.4. NYS averaged 8.25 last year.

This is just a general overview.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22287/76734-...st-taxes-/print

You're right, it's unbelievable because it shouldn't be believed, because it's untrue. The sales tax in NYS varies from county to county and as of the end of last year, it varied from around 7% to 8.75% (with the highest I think being Erie County which is 8.75).

There are other state and local taxes the person may be adding into the sales tax. The highest average sales tax in the country last year was TN, which was 9.4. NYS averaged 8.25 last year.

This is just a general overview.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22287/76734-...st-taxes-/print

Sure it isn't CA? We're paying 10% here.

Sure it isn't CA? We're paying 10% here.

It's possible that including a couple different "district taxes" it could reach 10% in certain spots. As I said, there are other taxes and places where they add other taxes which makes the equivalent. The actual sales tax is 8.25%. The district tax in some places could raise it to 9.25%. And in some extreme cases, they seem to be able to add more than one "district tax".

From the California State board:

The combined statewide sales and use tax rate is 8.25% (effective April 1, 2009), including local tax. However, many of California’s counties and cities have special taxing districts, which also impose district taxes. The tax rates for these districts range from 0.10% to 1.00% per district and this amount is added to the combined statewide rate. In addition, more than one district tax may be in effect in a given location.

10% here in Chicago too. :thumbsup:

See but that's not all a sales tax. Some of it is but the other part is a purchase surchage some is a buying fee some is a service charge some is a local, district, area, local value add.

[Kelly the fair and semanitic dog]

See but that's not all a sales tax. Some of it is but the other part is a purchase surchage some is a buying fee some is a service charge some is a local, district, area, local value add.

[Kelly the fair and semanitic dog]

Maybe because I live in California, like you, in a big city and county, and I pay 8.25%. A mile or two away it is 9.25%, because it is in another city district. Wacka asked about the state of CA so I answered about the state of CA. If he asked about the city of SF, I would have answered about the city of SF.

I'm funny like that, I listen to or read what people say, and then I answer what they ask. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Funny, I just noticed that across the board in LA county, it just skyrocketed on July, 1st to 9.75%

http://www.lawupdates.com/summary/hike_in_...e_effect_on_ju/

Now in CA it varies from 8.25 to 10.75 depending on where you live.

EDIT: Funny, I just noticed that across the board in LA county, it just skyrocketed on July, 1st to 9.75%

As long as the state legislators get to keep all their patronage jobs, we should be happy to pay a little bit more. :thumbsup:

As long as the state legislators get to keep all their patronage jobs, we should be happy to pay a little bit more. :thumbsup:

California is a mess, and there seems to be numerous reasons and people to blame for it. But it's also a pretty fabulous place to live. I used to hate living in LA when I first moved here, but overall -- the weather, the things to do, the beach, amenities, the women, the talent, the natural beauty of certain areas, the different cities and areas, etc, versus the various downsides (like cost and traffic and politics), it's tremendous, and at least to me, well worth the money, even the extra .5 - 1.5%.

California is a mess, and there seems to be numerous reasons and people to blame for it. But it's also a pretty fabulous place to live. I used to hate living in LA when I first moved here, but overall -- the weather, the things to do, the beach, amenities, the women, the talent, the natural beauty of certain areas, the different cities and areas, etc, versus the various downsides (like cost and traffic and politics), it's tremendous, and at least to me, well worth the money, even the extra .5 - 1.5%.

I feel that way about NYC, wouldn't live anywhere else. But damn, it could be better if we just got rid of the politicians.