Walker to LT; Butler to RT

I do not disagree with these moves. However, doesn't anyone find it disconcerting that the Bills talked to Walker and Butler AFTER the draft to see if they would be ok with these moves? What if Walker said I can't play LT or didn't want to make the switch? Holding my breath these OL moves will work out.....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not disagree with these moves. However, doesn't anyone find it disconcerting that the Bills talked to Walker and Butler AFTER the draft to see if they would be ok with these moves? What if Walker said I can't play LT or didn't want to make the switch? Holding my breath these OL moves will work out.....

When a coach asks you if you would like to play LT or RT he isn't really "asking" you.

When a coach asks you if you would like to play LT or RT he isn't really "asking" you.

"Langston, would you like to play left tackle, or would you like us to find someone else who will?"

They also didn't adjust their draft board when it became clear that signing Peters was not something they'd do. It really shouldn't be surprising they assumed Walker and Butler would change positions.

Walker has never played LT long term in his career. He was acquired to play RT, and played some G in Oakland, but did not move over when Robert Gallery didn't cut it at LT. That should tell you something that he wasn't thought of to play LT in Oakland.

As for Butler, playing RT in the ACC is a far cry from lining up in the NFL. This does not qualify him for the position in the pros, nor is it certain he'll even be the starter. I wouldn't be surprised if Chambers gets serious PT this season.

They also didn't adjust their draft board when it became clear that signing Peters was not something they'd do. It really shouldn't be surprising they assumed Walker and Butler would change positions.

Walker has never played LT long term in his career. He was acquired to play RT, and played some G in Oakland, but did not move over when Robert Gallery didn't cut it at LT. That should tell you something that he wasn't thought of to play LT in Oakland.

As for Butler, playing RT in the ACC is a far cry from lining up in the NFL. This does not qualify him for the position in the pros, nor is it certain he'll even be the starter. I wouldn't be surprised if Chambers gets serious PT this season.

If Butler can't play tackle, what do we do, sit him on the bench? Move him into guard and sit one of our top picks on the bench? If Butler can't play tackle, I wonder if they'd consider this:

LT: Walker

LG: Levitre

OC: Wood

RG: Butler

RT: Chambers

I know they're in love with Hangartner, but would he play over one of your best linemen in Butler, and someone you spent a top draft pick on?

If Butler can't play tackle, what do we do, sit him on the bench? Move him into guard and sit one of our top picks on the bench? If Butler can't play tackle, I wonder if they'd consider this:

LT: Walker

LG: Levitre

OC: Wood

RG: Butler

RT: Chambers

I know they're in love with Hangartner, but would he play over one of your best linemen in Butler, and someone you spent a top draft pick on?

Hangartner starts and stays at center, period. If Butler can't hack it at RT, they put him back at RG and start Chambers at RT. If Walker can't hack LT, they move him back to RT, Butler to RG, and start Chambers or Bell at LT. In any scenario, I see the LT being given help.

Hangartner starts and stays at center, period. If Butler can't hack it at RT, they put him back at RG and start Chambers at RT. If Walker can't hack LT, they move him back to RT, Butler to RG, and start Chambers or Bell at LT. In any scenario, I see the LT being given help.

So who are you sitting on the bench then?

It sounds strange, but I think that Chambers is best suited for LT. A RT tends to be more of a brute strength guy. Chambers is very agile, but not so strong.

Butler should be OK at RT imho. He looked just a little slow firing out of his stance at RG. A RT has a little longer to do so, and he seems strong enough to play there.

Walker at LT is what scares the crap out of me. He might be OK on running plays, but I can't see how he will hold up against speed rushers.

Walker at LT is what scares the crap out of me. He might be OK on running plays, but I can't see how he will hold up against speed rushers.

Good thing we don't face a lot of teams w/ good edge rushers this season (like the Falcons, Colts, Panthers, and Texans), huh?

Good thing we don't face a lot of teams w/ good edge rushers this season (like the Falcons, Colts, Panthers, and Texans), huh?

And it's a really good thing that the Bills are planning on slowing down the offense and not getting the plays off quickly, so Langston will have ample time to rest in the huddle between plays and not have to jog up to the LOS immediately after hearing the whistle.

And it's a really good thing that the Bills are planning on slowing down the offense and not getting the plays off quickly, so Langston will have ample time to rest in the huddle between plays and not have to jog up to the LOS immediately after hearing the whistle.

At least he won't have to fight Peters for the oxygen mask between series.

Wow. Good thing you have no part in running that franchise.

Why? Because having 2 rookies playing next to each other, with one of them manning the all-important center position over a proven veteran, makes more sense?

Why? Because having 2 rookies playing next to each other, with one of them manning the all-important center position over a proven veteran, makes more sense?

No, because when trying to put the best 5 guys on the field, having Kirk Chambers, Jeff Hangartner, and Andy Levitre starting over Eric Wood doesn't make sense.

No, because when trying to put the best 5 guys on the field, having Kirk Chambers, Jeff Hangartner, and Andy Levitre starting over Eric Wood doesn't make sense.

Well, that would have been a better reply. But the problem is that Wood and Levitre are strictly interior guys, and if Butler struggles at RT, the Bills would want to move him inside, back to RG. That would leave 2 interior positions for the rookies. And since the Bills love Hangman and he's a proven veteran, they're not going to start a rookie over him (at least not this year) at center. So that leaves just LG. And since Levitre is being groomed for that position and Wood is being groomed at RG, moving Wood to a new position wouldn't make the most sense. That's not to say they wouldn't consider it and that it wouldn't work.