How Much Better will the Bills Be in 2009 ?

Kenwick

Thinking Positively

The Special Teams were number 1 last year. They could be # one again this coming season..... They have a great special team coach and he has the players to repeat if not even get better.

The Defensive line looks to improve with a returning Schobel, the #1 pass rusher coming in from college, a much better defensive line coach, McCargo is now healthy and Kelsay looks to improve. The D-line will be better.

The linebackers look pretty good also. Posluszny looks to improve along with Mitchell. The depth is better than last year.

The Cornerbacks look to be very strong especially if McKelvin shows he can be a shut down CB. I like their depth.

The safeties with the addition of Byrd and the versilitity of Whitner look to be winners. Scott is improving.

The overall defense rated 15th last year has a chance to improve to 10th to 12th best in the league. Their talent on defense has improved and they are now much improved depth wise with young talent.

Both the special teams and Defense are good enough to get the Bills into the playoffs in my opinion.

The Offense is still a big question mark .........

If Edwards has a solid year, especially over last year when he got a concussion, the Offense could be stellar.

The front office has done a nice job building a team around him so far. There are still question marks however.

The Receivers are solid and a strong point ......

The Runners are solid and a strong point.......

That leaves the O-line... The big Question mark on this team.

How well this unit developes will determine if they can get in the playoffs....

I think they will immediately be better plass blockers than last year.

I think they will develope slowly into a good run blocking unit. Not at first however. It takes time but the talent is there.

They are smart for sure. Athletic for sure. Good depth ... Experience is lacking however as a unit. Usually it takes 3 years to develope into a solid unit. We want them to be this way right away. It won't happen. Pulling guards and tackles will make mistakes blocking. Confusion as to who to block when plass blocking will happen, the defense will throw everything they can at them to confuse them. This unit is young and not experienced playing together. It won't be easy. But as I said, the smarts and athleticism is there. It will just take time. They will learn slowly by their mistakes and the fans will have to be excepting of this fact.

I believe the team will be exciting and come close to making the playoffs again this year. Remember they lost 6 games to their division rivals last year. That has to turn around . Lets hope they can do it.

Of course others have their views of what to expect. I just wanted to take a positive view. Especially this time of the year. :thumbsup:

My biggest concern will be coaching. This staff is not agressive by nature. They are slow to use a lot of rookies and when they are in, especially on offense, the playcalling will probably be weak and predictable. I hope not. I know this will also depend on Edwards not audibling into safer plays all the time and not dumping down.

I also don't think we will see much of Maybin in the beginning of the season. So, he won't make much of an impact.

I think we did good this offseason. I would like something better at the outside linebacker spot and at puss rush. I liek the rookies on offense and I like the skill players we have. We'll just have to hope everything comes together quickly.

My biggest concern will be coaching. This staff is not agressive by nature. They are slow to use a lot of rookies and when they are in, especially on offense, the playcalling will probably be weak and predictable. I hope not. I know this will also depend on Edwards not audibling into safer plays all the time and not dumping down.

I also don't think we will see much of Maybin in the beginning of the season. So, he won't make much of an impact.

I think we did good this offseason. I would like something better at the outside linebacker spot and at puss rush. I liek the rookies on offense and I like the skill players we have. We'll just have to hope everything comes together quickly.

I agree with you 100% regarding the coaching. The triumvirate needs to improve and STAY improved. If TE goes down with injuries, and that is at least a 50/50 shot, we'll see Fitz and I'm not sure he can step in and fire on all cylinders. Without Lynch the first three games, we may not get off to a good start. Fewell's defensive schemes had better stop letting teams run off 7-9 minute drives in the 4th quarter. That has GOT to stop. Fewell has to find a way to get pressure on opposing QB's. They had way too much time in the 2nd half of the season last year.

If TE can stay healthy and play like he did the 1st 6 games last season, and if TO can make the impact he was brought here to make and the running game clicks, then the offense can start to look more like the K-Gun and less like K-Y. That, in and of itself, will help out the defense and give this team some badly needed confidence.

But it all starts, or ends, with the coaching.

coaching the talent they have on offense , BIG if right now

being more aggressive on Defense with Schobel back and with Maybin, another big IF

They have a chance to be better or worse than 7-9 which isn't saying a whole lot

I would be surprised if they made 9-7 with Brady back and the toughness of the schedule

But 9-7 doesn't make the playoffs does it? well at least not in the AFC

I think the Bills will be significantly better this year, although I think they may finish with the same or even worse record than last year due to our schedule being a murderer's row...

The Bills could be a lot better yet finish 6-10...

I think the Bills will be significantly better this year, although I think they may finish with the same or even worse record than last year due to our schedule being a murderer's row...

The Bills could be a lot better yet finish 6-10...

So if I read this correctly and follow it to the logical conclusion, it sounds like the Bills are going to get significantly better, but everyone else the Bills play will get even more significantly better, resulting in the Bills getting worse.

Right?

Trent Edwards will again miss time this year, I guess two games.

Lynch is already suspended for the first three games of the season.

D-coordinators figured out the "Turk" last season pretty quick, and he was unable to respond with anything.

Oh yeah, the O-line will feature two starting rookies.

6-10 if they are lucky, and Jauron doesn't pull too many brain farts, and T.O. doesn't go T.O. halfway through the

season when playoff chances are generally slipping away.

:thumbsup:

Kelsay looks to improve? Really? Since when? The guy is turning 30 this season, and had a career low in sacks since his rookie season. If you're looking for him to improve, you may be waiting a long time.

What makes you think the AFC is fonna be tough this year?

The Patriots bring in Brady this year so they improve, And Dolphins will improve in year 2 of the system. The colts, and chargers are always good. Baltimore was young and will improve this year. Cleveland and Cinci can't be worse. KS has a new system and a new QB. The Stellers are always good. Plus generally every sportscaster says the AFC, especially the East wil be improved.

The Patriots bring in Brady this year so they improve, And Dolphins will improve in year 2 of the system. The colts, and chargers are always good. Baltimore was young and will improve this year. Cleveland and Cinci can't be worse. KS has a new system and a new QB. The Stellers are always good. Plus generally every sportscaster says the AFC, especially the East wil be improved.

who's this brady kid---some hot shot 6th rounder who supposed to set the world on fire?

Its a total crap shoot. If you compare this years team to last years team going into the beginning of both years I would say they are about the same talent wise. TO and Edwards added experience only evens out the lesser play we are likely to get from our offensive line.

As far as the defense goes the secondary is about the same and The front seven added Maybin but Rookie DE's typically don't make that big of an impact. So the defense looks to be about the same maybe just a tad better.

Let us not forget that the Bills D was AWFUL 2 years ago. An Fewell brought us from 31 to 14 in ranked D. Now I know we never pressured the QB but I think we are only going to get better.

Also I recognize that people on this board will be quick to say that Ellison and Whitner are awful and that Kelsey needs to be cut, however Our D should do very well. The Bend dont break D may bend very little this year......