92 Friggin Degrees here right now!

WWVaBeach

We went to Sonoma yesterday. On the drive back it was 102 in Novato. By the time we were on the Golden Gate Bridge 20 miles later it was 62. :thumbsup:

Repeat after me .... micro-climates .... the California coast has microclimates .... lol .. I am still insanely jealous because as long as you have sufficient money you can execise choice about what climate you want to live in - in a very small land area.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in San Rafael, Corte Madera, and Larkspur (where Dirty Harry shot jumped on the bus and shot Scorpio (the trestle and quarry are gone)) yesterday. I was at least the mid 90s there. When we got to Richmond, ~6 miles away and across the bridge, it was 69 degrees.

Today I checked and it was 68 in Richmond ion the Bay northwest of Oakland . At my house, 25 miles away, it was 98!

I driven through the Caldecott Tunnel in Oakland. It's located right where the big fire in 91 was. On the Oakland side I have seen peas soup fog and temps in the 60s. On the east side, 0.6 miles away, it is perfectly clear and in the 90s.

Repeat after me .... micro-climates .... the California coast has microclimates .... lol .. I am still insanely jealous because as long as you have sufficient money you can execise choice about what climate you want to live in - in a very small land area.

BFLO is a micro-climate... "Tempered" by the lake... Yep, I said "tempered"... Not as cold in the winter and cooler in the summer... Kind of ideal right? :worthy: The temperature swing is not as wild. Except for that ton of snow that flies off the lake. :unsure::lol:

Compare that to say Chicago that is windward of the lake (opposed to alee/protected as BFLO is)... Here the winters are brutally cold and the summers are brutally hot.

Now the historical prespective:

I am amazed how "snow" changes people's perception of a climate. BFLO has a very "protected" climate that in any other previous time in history would have been considered ideal. Yet, modern inventions and convienences changed that ideal status. Think about it, automobiles (primary mode of travel) have a hell of a time in snow. Heat that other places experience can be allievated by modern air conditioners. Water can be aqueducted into places where anything greater than a small population couldn't last a few days/weeks prior to that human intervention. A tempered climate like say Detroit was also considered ideal. Back in a bygone era, how much better could it get? Places had an endless supply of fresh water and winter heating fuel (wood)... One didn't have to heat living quarters as intensely in the winter... And the summers didn't make conditions life threatening (heat and most importantly lack of water leading to all kinds of problems like barren soil and death of livestock) when most of the outdoor work had to be down. 400 million people now live in areas with severe water shortages. It takes 6,800 gallons of water to grow one day's food for a family of four. So what I am saying is that humans and what they have created/invented have really changed how we view what is an ideal climate. Places that otherwise were considered having a less than ideal climate and now have an ideal climate status are very much dependent on various modern human systems for their own daily survival. Oh, and now mix in an area's poximity to the east coast and the population centers (consider earlier transportation methods)... What good is an "ideal climate" if you are on the other side of the continent and there is no fast way to get back and forth (ie: airplanes, trains).

Sorry if this bores some... I find this stuff interesting. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

MF'er! It's friggin July 1 and I had to put on a jacket to walk the damn dogs! Barely 60 in NH. This summer is the worst I can recall. Rain every day in June. Not a single fully clear day. Temps 15-20 degrees below normal. The cause is a low pressure system stalled over the Atlantic. We are getting ocean effect.

PTR

:unsure:

reminds me of a joke -

An elderly couple was celegrating their 70th wedding anniversary. After waking up the conversation goes:

wife with a sly smile: "Honey why don't we eat our breakfast in the nude like we did when we were first married."

Husband: "OK honey it will be fun."

after sitting down - wife: "Wow this makes me hot for you just like when we were young. My boobs are on fire!"

Husband (ever so gently): "Honey well you may be hot for me but your left boob is hanging in your oatmeal and the right one is in the coffee"

:)

reminds me of a joke -

An elderly couple was celegrating their 70th wedding anniversary. After waking up the conversation goes:

wife with a sly smile: "Honey why don't we eat our breakfast in the nude like we did when we were first married."

Husband: "OK honey it will be fun."

after sitting down - wife: "Wow this makes me hot for you just like when we were young. My boobs are on fire!"

Husband (ever so gently): "Honey well you may be hot for me but your left boob is hanging in your oatmeal and the right one is in the coffee"

:thumbsup:

:wallbash: C'mon...i'm not THAT old yet. :wallbash: