Typical T.O. tactics: "I'll be the scapegoat."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.star-telegram.com/cowboys/story/1453859.html

If you look at what he actually said, it's hilarious. Typical T.O. weird logic. He's a really interesting combo of PR savvy and raw-nerve emotion.

Here's a quote from the article. "He was the quarterback of the team. I think everybody realized that. It was upon him to adopt that leadership role and carry that out. Obviously, they saw that didn’t happen,” Owens said. “So, for whatever reason, I’ll be the scapegoat. I’m not here. Now, it’s his team. I wish him well."

Excellent stuff.

First he says that it was Romo's fault. Then he says he (T.O.) will be the scapegoat. After actually blaming Romo. Brilliant stuff. Then after insulting the guy, he wishes him well. No kidding, the guy is really interesting. Turns back on himself on a dime. Says two things that are great P.R. for himself (the scapegoat thing and wishing Romo well) while also tossing Romo under the bus.

The final quote from the article? "Owens left Dallas just as he did in Philadelphia and San Francisco before - with a splintered locker room and the team believing it was better off without him.

“I’m not worried about it," Owens said. "Three teams have said that. But you can rate them how it was when I was there and after I left. The pressure is not on me."

The Bills have to handle this guy and this situation carefully. And on the field, he is likely to do very well indeed, so there will be pressure to sign him for another year or two. Which would not be a good idea, IMHO.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was nothing wrong with what TO said. And it's not so much the Bills who have to handle TO carefully (well, outside of not talking about how they can cut him or how they don't need him) as it is Trent and Schonert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look at what he actually said, it's hilarious. Typical T.O. weird logic. He's a really interesting combo of PR savvy and raw-nerve emotion.

Here's a quote from the article. "He was the quarterback of the team. I think everybody realized that. It was upon him to adopt that leadership role and carry that out. Obviously, they saw that didn’t happen,” Owens said. “So, for whatever reason, I’ll be the scapegoat. I’m not here. Now, it’s his team. I wish him well."

Excellent stuff.

First he says that it was Romo's fault. Then he says he (T.O.) will be the scapegoat. After actually blaming Romo. Brilliant stuff. Then after insulting the guy, he wishes him well. No kidding, the guy is really interesting. Turns back on himself on a dime. Says two things that are great P.R. for himself (the scapegoat thing and wishing Romo well) while also tossing Romo under the bus.

The final quote from the article? "Owens left Dallas just as he did in Philadelphia and San Francisco before - with a splintered locker room and the team believing it was better off without him.

“I’m not worried about it," Owens said. "Three teams have said that. But you can rate them how it was when I was there and after I left. The pressure is not on me."

The Bills have to handle this guy and this situation carefully. And on the field, he is likely to do very well indeed, so there will be pressure to sign him for another year or two. Which would not be a good idea, IMHO.

If TO is happy in Buffalo which I think he will be, then I am all for him being a Bill until he retires. We give each other SCHIT on this board ALL THE TIME so I don't understand people not happy when TO speaks his mind.

There was nothing wrong with what TO said. And it's not so much the Bills who have to handle TO carefully (well, outside of not talking about how they can cut him or how they don't need him) as it is Trent and Schonert.

Agreed. I don't see the problem. Team wanted QB to be a leader, but he couldn't wing it. T.O. gets cut, then told he may have been part of the reason QB wasn't stepping up to be leader.

If Trent can overcome his strong presence in the locker room, he'll be fine. Say what you want about Romo, but he never struck me as a very bright guy. I see more leadership qualities out of Trent than I do Romo (with the limited amount I actually get to see). The key for Trent is to treat T.O. like a WR, not a friend. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, be a true leader. T.O. would probably respect a guy more for taking control of the team. Just my 2 cents....

You're reading WAY too far into what he said. It's quite obvious you have something against T.O. that is severely clouding your interpretation of what he says. And even though his quote defines the meaning of scapegoat for you, you should probably look it up anyways.

It is called being passive agressive...it is a way that immature people deal with things. Everyone works with someone like that. I have little doubt that the substance of what Owens is saying is true. He got cut, because he was more of a team leader than Romo was, and that was viewed by the Cowboys as a problem. Likely because what TO wanted was not what management wanted, and Romo couldn't figure out how to "tame" TO. So, the responsibility goes toward both players. Romo, because he couldn't figure out a way to run an offense, with a teammate, who was more vocal, and more demanding than he was. And then TO is to blame (remember, he sees himself as the scapegoat, which is true to a degree) because he was unmanageable.

I can't remember who it was, but when Owens was released by the Cowboys, they explained Owens "mo" with each team he has been with, and how it contributed to his falling out with his QB, and eventually, his team. He likes to be popular, and needs to be the most popular guy on the team, with all of his teammates. He likes to have a "fan base" amongst his teammates, and will go out of his way to please everyone, from the least valued players on the roster, to the star players. Inevitably, this causes problems, as team disagreements always come down to TO's buddies, and the rest of the team. If everything is going well, it is not a problem, but if the team is struggling offensively, everyone has to "dig in" and take a hardline stance...

So, in the end, Owens has an ego that needs to be constantly stroked, and Romo is not nearly smart enough to deal with keeping his offense focused as a team, rather than on TO's whims...as long as everyone is kissing Ownens ass, things will be fine....everyone seems to accept the premise that TO will be on his best behavior in Buffalo, for his single season here...I think that is probably true. But, if anything does go "wrong" with him, I would be willing to bet that it will involve a blow up between Owens and Turk Schoenert. Turk has a pretty big personality himself, and is fairly opinionated.

Agreed. I don't see the problem. Team wanted QB to be a leader, but he couldn't wing it. T.O. gets cut, then told he may have been part of the reason QB wasn't stepping up to be leader.

If Trent can overcome his strong presence in the locker room, he'll be fine. Say what you want about Romo, but he never struck me as a very bright guy. I see more leadership qualities out of Trent than I do Romo (with the limited amount I actually get to see). The key for Trent is to treat T.O. like a WR, not a friend. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, be a true leader. T.O. would probably respect a guy more for taking control of the team. Just my 2 cents....

IMO, a true leader doesn't have to try to be one.

He no longer plays for Dallas, why is he STILL be asked questions about last year? It's easy to see that reporters are just trying to 'stir the pot' and get a story. --Vultures I tell ya!

But that is the problem with TO, if there is one. He can never just keep his mouth shut...which is why they keep asking him questions. Whenever he proclaims that something is not an issue, or that he is taking the "high road", he is rreally only going to stir the pot with something that will stir more his relationship with the Cowboys is going to be the story all year, unless the Bills somehow manage to have a great season...the Bills are just incidental players in the whole Terrell Owens story, for the rest of the nation. I think the situation with Owens, and QB's, is not unlike what we saw with Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson. He just can't get along, if someone else is getting more attention, or credit, than him.

Excellent stuff.

If any other player in the NFL not named T.O. says this, no one says a thing. You clearly have issues with him, so your filters make this appear to seem like a negative statement.

T.O. is getting the Dennis Rodman treatment...Dennis Rodman would get a technical foul if he farted on the court because he was Dennis Rodman...T.O. has the same problem that because he is T.O. every statement, no matter how minor, gets manipulated to be some kind of team killer or selfish comment when most the time he is just answering a question honestly and more often than not everyone agrees with his answer. Like in this case, its no secret Romo hasnt stepped up as a leader on that team...

If any other player in the NFL not named T.O. says this, no one says a thing. You clearly have issues with him, so your filters make this appear to seem like a negative statement.

T.O. is getting the Dennis Rodman treatment...Dennis Rodman would get a technical foul if he farted on the court because he was Dennis Rodman...T.O. has the same problem that because he is T.O. every statement, no matter how minor, gets manipulated to be some kind of team killer or selfish comment when most the time he is just answering a question honestly and more often than not everyone agrees with his answer. Like in this case, its no secret Romo hasnt stepped up as a leader on that team...

Damn right.

TO doen't want all this nonsense. He's just a guy who is hunkering down at the teams' facility, getting ready for camp and all this stuff keeps jumping in front of him, trying to mess with his focus on team success.

Damn right.

TO doen't want all this nonsense. He's just a guy who is hunkering down at the teams' facility, getting ready for camp and all this stuff keeps jumping in front of him, trying to mess with his focus on team success.

Meanwhile, Tony Romo is being told to get his fat ass into shape. Awesome.

But that is the problem with TO, if there is one. He can never just keep his mouth shut...which is why they keep asking him questions.

If he said, "No comment," or, "I don't want to discuss that," the press would still write a negative article about it. Heck, one of the articles I read a couple of days ago when he was a camp for kids was critizing him for saying, "I'm not answering any personal questions right now," even though he saved question time for when the press was not around so the kids could ask about him.

Flutie, on the other hand, used to blame everyone on the team for losses except himself.

If he said, "No comment," or, "I don't want to discuss that," the press would still write a negative article about it. Heck, one of the articles I read a couple of days ago when he was a camp for kids was critizing him for saying, "I'm not answering any personal questions right now," even though he saved question time for when the press was not around so the kids could ask about him.

Flutie, on the other hand, used to blame everyone on the team for losses except himself.

If he stopped feeding them stuff, eventually they would stop asking...he loves the attention...doesn't make him a bad guy, but that is where the "distraction" factor comes in with him...

You really are a homer! :D That is cool...but if this guy wasn't a Buffalo Bill, nobody here would be bending over backwards to defend his immaturity...

If he stopped feeding them stuff, eventually they would stop asking...he loves the attention...doesn't make him a bad guy, but that is where the "distraction" factor comes in with him...

You seriously don't think the media would feast upon him saying, "No comment," or, "I don't want to discuss that?" They'd still slant it against him. Like I said, they already proved they'll do that with his comments at camp.

TO is the scapegoat isn't he? If the story is true about Romo why is it TO's fault that he is more of a leader than Romo? There is always a top dog in a pack of wolves and if Romo cannot assert himself enough to become the top dog than that is a Tony Romo issue not a TO issue.

I would go so far to say that on every team TO has been on before the Bills there wasn't a true offensive leader. People will say "what about Mcnabb?" and i will make the same statement. I don't think Mcnabb is much of a leader. When he had his very public fight with TO through the media it became very apparent that Mcnabb is a baby. I am not so sure if the Bills have a real leader either. There aren't any fiery people on the sidelines. I miss the days of Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Darryl Talley. They were a bunch of wolves on the sidelines and it showed on the field.

TO is a headcase i don't think anyone will deny that. I personally think he is somewhat like a woman and just wants to be heard. If anything Jauron is very good at listening to his players which is why they love him so much. Trent seems to be leaning on TO's experience and is working well with him so far. It remains to be seen what happens when Trent misses a wide open TO on the field.

I for one am very happy that TO is on the Bills. He's 36 years old and still a top 5 WR in the league in my opinion. The bottom line is that the Bills need something on the sideline. Jauron is a zombie and it filters down to the rest of the team. TO will bring something extra to the team and if he can rile up some of our players on gameday to play better than i am all for it.

Besides TO is always made out to be some kind of one man wrecking crew. I just don't buy it.

You seriously don't think the media would feast upon him saying, "No comment," or, "I don't want to discuss that?" They'd still slant it against him. Like I said, they already proved they'll do that with his comments at camp.

They will "do anything" with his comments, because, eventually, they will get him to say somehting juicy...he has that track record, it is what he does... I am not even saying what TO says is not factual, but he doesn't need to say the stuff at all. He could leave out all the other stuff, before saying "I am a Buffalo Bill now". But, he normally goes with the approach, of "I am taking the high road on this, even though the other guy is the real jerk here..." See, that is not taking the high road. It is what you expect out of a child...but he is a Buffalo Bill, so it is cool!

IMO, a true leader doesn't have to try to be one.

Agree, although I do believe there are different levels of said Leaders. some of it comes with familiarity, some comes with experience. Also, there are different ways to be a leader, such as vocal and non-vocal.

My point was that, for whatever reason, the Cowboys brass wasn't impressed with Romo's progression as a leader. To me, that meant he wasn't at the "level" they wanted him to be, and felt it best to remove Owens from the equation in order for Romo to have more breathing room.

I don't agree with this tactic at all, and fall back to what you said; you either got it, or don't. I don't think Romo has it.