What kind of dog should I get?

Stl Bills

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people insist on giving opinions on things they have zero experience with? You don't "think"? Truer words have never been spoken.

To answer STL: The answer lies in what YOUR lifestyle is. You really need to figure it out for yourself. I don't recommend rescues or mutts to first time dog owners because most of the time you won't know what you're getting. As someone who has spent the last 18 years rescuing dogs, it is not something to be gotten into lightly. I will say that Organized rescue has gotten significantly better in the last decade and maybe your local will be able to get you the right dog.

If you're looking for a puppy, go to a reputable breeder of the dog type you like and explain what you are looking for. The AKC or the National Group of the breed can help you find one. A good breeder will ask you all the right questions (temperment/exercise/show vs pet vs athlete/etc) and match you up with a puppy that'll fit your lifestyle.

If they don't do that, go somewhere else.

Is there something in particular you disagree with or is it just another general slam from somebody who gets their rocks off by insulting people for anything. You really are funny AD. You're a complete joke. <_<

Is there something in particular you disagree with or is it just another general slam from somebody who gets their rocks off by insulting people for anything. You really are funny AD. You're a complete joke. <_<

Relax, Steely.

All he's saying is if a question is asked to people with experience related to whatever the content, why would you answer when you have no experience? Giving advice on something you are just speculating about is dangerous to the original poster because he's going to follow what you say in making a very important decision. If you don't KNOW, don't respond like you do. Your knowledge on the topic is equal to that of the original poster's, which was zero.

I'm not trying to bash you here, I'm really not, you're actually one of a few posters on here I can tolerate, I'm just trying to clarify AD's statement.

The German Shepards I have owned have practically raised my kids.....I have absolutely nothing against retrievers I have found that German Shepards tend to be a little smarter.

One thing to not in the shepards though....make double sure their hips are sound. There is nothing worse then watching what will become one of your best friends die slowly with hip pain as they get older.

Loved my Samson...:ph34r:

Is there something in particular you disagree with or is it just another general slam from somebody who gets their rocks off by insulting people for anything. You really are funny AD. You're a complete joke. :worthy:

You'll be the first to know when I find anything you say remotely credible, though I'm surprised it took you 2 days to come up with that lame crap. Whatsa matta? Couldn't find a google link to help validate your uneducated fear mongering?

Relax, Steely.

All he's saying is if a question is asked to people with experience related to whatever the content, why would you answer when you have no experience? Giving advice on something you are just speculating about is dangerous to the original poster because he's going to follow what you say in making a very important decision. If you don't KNOW, don't respond like you do. Your knowledge on the topic is equal to that of the original poster's, which was zero.

I'm not trying to bash you here, I'm really not, you're actually one of a few posters on here I can tolerate, I'm just trying to clarify AD's statement.

That's a much nicer way of putting it - very diplomatic. You can tell I'm a dumb soldier and not a politician.

You'll be the first to know when I find anything you say remotely credible, though I'm surprised it took you 2 days to come up with that lame crap. Whatsa matta? Couldn't find a google link to help validate your uneducated fear mongering?

In other words; I don't know what I think was wrong. I just wanted to make a slam.

As someone who works with a German Shepherd Rescue and is around dogs on a constant basis, it is amazing the amount of ignorance displayed in this thread. Frankly, it disgusts me.

:worthy:

Well, being Korean myself, I would go with a little of both....and a refreshing Coors Light to wash them down.

I've had big to mid-sized dogs all my life. I now own two Chihuahuas. I used think they were a joke of a dog but now that I own them I think they are pretty cool. They are not timid sissies. In fact the samller they are the more fearless they seem to be. And frankly small dogs are really easy to deal with. They don't eat much. Their ploppers are smaller. They are easy to transport. Just stick 'em in your purse or pocket. They love it.

PTR

Why do people insist on giving opinions on things they have zero experience with? You don't "think"? Truer words have never been spoken.

To answer STL: The answer lies in what YOUR lifestyle is. You really need to figure it out for yourself. I don't recommend rescues or mutts to first time dog owners because most of the time you won't know what you're getting. As someone who has spent the last 18 years rescuing dogs, it is not something to be gotten into lightly. I will say that Organized rescue has gotten significantly better in the last decade and maybe your local will be able to get you the right dog.

If you're looking for a puppy, go to a reputable breeder of the dog type you like and explain what you are looking for. The AKC or the National Group of the breed can help you find one. A good breeder will ask you all the right questions (temperment/exercise/show vs pet vs athlete/etc) and match you up with a puppy that'll fit your lifestyle.

If they don't do that, go somewhere else.

I got my Siberian when she was five, and as much as I love her I will never take on someone else's dog again. I would never recommend adoption to anyone other than an experienced dog owner because it isn't easy. That being said, I've learned an awful lot from owning her.

I've had big to mid-sized dogs all my life. I now own two Chihuahuas. I used think they were a joke of a dog but now that I own them I think they are pretty cool. They are not timid sissies. In fact the samller they are the more fearless they seem to be. And frankly small dogs are really easy to deal with. They don't eat much. Their ploppers are smaller. They are easy to transport. Just stick 'em in your purse or pocket. They love it.

PTR

I have a rat terrier and she is FEARLESS! She hates big dogs and since I took her in from the pound, I don't know the source of her fear/anger.

I agree that it is so nice to have a little one. I take her for a few short walks, get her riled up to run around in the yard, and otherwise she is of little to no problem. Smart little thing too.

Any dog is a good dog, especially if you don't have kids and are responsible. I have had a Rhodesian Ridgeback with a touch of pit in her, a Sheltie, a West Highland/mutt....they are all awesome and would do anything for me. The biggest question in my mind is your type of home and exercise level the dog needs. I like big yard/ big dog theory.

In other words; I don't know what I think was wrong. I just wanted to make a slam.

Poor, poor Steely. Being called out for giving yet another opinion based on nothing more than the incessant need to spew written diarrhea in virtually every thread.

Go ahead and ignore the fact that you don't know what you're talking about and that people like you are the reason I have to go to local government meetings and spent countless hours of my time explaining to undereducated "officials" who constantly try to pass laws to help ease the fear mongering. It's all about my need to insult you. You're such a victim and I'm such a bully.

Relax, Steely.

Why did I just read that post in Irish?

As Deerball stated, Golden Retrievers are the best family dogs.

Linkage

Character: The Golden Retriever is a gorgeous, large, and energetic breed. They are the world's foremost family pet and companion. They are sturdy, well proportioned, and are well known for their hunting capabilities on land and in the water. The Golden is perceptive and agile.

As far as protection it really doesn't matter. Most burglars will go on to another house that doesn't have a dog, mostly for the attention they attract by barking.

Linkage

DOGS

No need to get a trained attack dog, a huge dog, or a pure-bred dog. Any dog can be a first-rate burglar deterrent. As an added bonus, dogs also make wonderful companions. To find the best fit for your family and home, stop by your local Humane Society.

If you can’t have a dog, buy a leash and hang it outside the back door

I don't think a German Shepherd would rip a kid apart but they probably wouldn't be as forgiving with tail tugs and other things curious toddlers do to dogs.

Linkage

German Shepherds are one of the most intelligent and versatile dog breeds in the world. But you need to know basic German Shepherd information to discover what to expect from them before you bring one home. German Shepherd dogs are not satisfied until they are the center of attention. They are not vicious, but don’t know their own strength at times. German Shepherds are smarter than most people, which may get them into mischief in order to...

Yep, certainly smarter than AD.

If you want two then get two Goldens. JMO

Since it's been proven that Golden Retrievers are the best family dogs I don't get your criticism. Obviously it's you that has no clue about what they are talking about. God I hate it when people post when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Poor, poor Steely AD. Being called out for giving yet another opinion based on nothing more than the incessant need to spew written diarrhea in virtually every thread.

Go ahead and ignore the fact that you don't know what you're talking about and that people like you are the reason I have to go to local government meetings and spent countless hours of my time explaining to undereducated "officials" who constantly try to pass laws to help ease the fear mongering. It's all about my need to insult you. You're such a victim and I'm such a bully.

Well AD, I guess I've proven who spews written diarrhea in virtually every thread.

Maybe you should do some research before acting like a jackass.

First, if you plan on going to a pet store or breeder to get your dog, don’t waste my time. You are just contributing to the problem. Go to a shelter or rescue organization.

Picking a dog is not as easy is just picking the breed you want. Obviously, a lot goes into picking the breed. You have to take into account shedding, size, energy levels, etc. Beyond that, once you have picked the breed, you still need to evaluate the individual dog to make sure that they are a good fit. For example, I work with a German Shepherd Rescue. My job is placing the proper dogs in the proper homes. When an applicant approaches us for adoption of one of our shepherds, I do the reference checks to make sure that they would be good parents to their new dog. That includes talking to their vet, as well as the personal references. Next, you need to evaluate the home to see the environment that the dog will be living in. Do they have a fenced-in yard? How tall is the fence? Any other animals? Kids? How old? How long will the dog be left alone during the day? What is the level of expertise of the owners with dogs? You get the idea.

Next, you evaluate the dogs. We go through an extensive process in evaluating the dogs while at the shelter. At that point, the dog goes into a foster home until the dog can be placed into their forever home. Throughout that fostering process, the dog is continuing to be evaluated to determine the proper home for that dog. We would rather keep the dog in a foster home than to place the dog in the wrong home. For example, let’s look at one of our dogs: Hank. A woman came to us because she was interested in Hank. She saw his picture on our website, read the description and fell in love with the dog. She wanted Hank. All the references checked out, but there was a problem. Hank is a very prey-driven dog. This potential adopter thought that she could just dump the dog into her current house (with cats and another dog) and think that she could just work out any issues that arose. We refused to adopt Hank to her because of having the cats in the house. Hank could potentially hurt or kill the cats. Not a good fit. We would be more than happy to adopt the proper dog into her household, but we refuse to put the dog and/or other animals at risk due to the ignorance of the owner.

Obviously, I am being overly simplistic. The evaluation and placement process is much more in-depth than can be discussed here. I take the adopter through the entire process and make sure that only the right dogs are presented to the potential adopter and that the right dog is placed. You can PM me with any specific questions and we can get into more detail.

Every dog has its own personality. Just because it is a specific breed, does not mean that the personality is going to be the same throughout the breed. Take your time to make sure it is the right dog and it has the right personality for your household. That way, both you and the dog will have many happy years together.

I'm an expert on dogs because I can link to internet sites...

Just STFU already. I deal with dog evaluations/placements on a daily basis with a GSD rescue. You sit behind a keyboard and Google. Who do you think is more credible?

Just stop.

Just STFU already. I deal with dog evaluations/placements on a daily basis with a GSD rescue. You sit behind a keyboard and Google. Who do you think is more credible?

Just stop.

First I don't appreciate attributing a quote to me that I never made. Please change that so everyone knows it's strictly your opinion.

Second, I never claimed to be an expert. I merely made some statements that are true. Where did I ever say I knew more than you? Do you believe German Shepherds are just as good, or better, with kids?