U.S filing a WTO complaint against China????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the U.S is saying that the Chinese are practicing unfair trade practices

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...pSv6gwD990JGD80 , yet we have promoted protectionism through the "Buy American" clause in the Stimulus Bill.

the level of hypocrisy is amazing.

I thought they took that out of the stimulus package, because the EU complained? :rolleyes:

I thought they took that out of the stimulus package, because the EU complained? :rolleyes:

Dunno - Mexico bitched a while back

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=102036396

And I read something about Canada taking a dim view...some localities taking action as they might, to squash US imports.

I have no sympathy for the PRC, though. They play the exchange rates well - and since they hold so many promises - excuse me, Treasury issues, we have to shut our traps.

Of course, we love cheap Chinese good and scoop them up, then go and complain about jobs here evaporating.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...pSv6gwD990JGD80 , yet we have promoted protectionism through the "Buy American" clause in the Stimulus Bill.

And I'm sure 10 years ago you were bitching about the last Dem administration being in bed with the Chinese.

Hypocrisy is indeed lame; but it's OK for political cheerleaders.

Shake them pompoms Brittany!

I heard the CEO of US STEEL today touting how the "Buy American" clause was good for the country. Of course he would say that, I wonder what GE and Caterpillar have to say about that?

And I'm sure 10 years ago you were bitching about the last Dem administration being in bed with the Chinese.

Hypocrisy is indeed lame; but it's OK for political cheerleaders.

Shake them pompoms Brittany!

:rolleyes: you sir, are an idiot! and I mean in that in the nicest way possible.

The point is a simple one, and that is that we are filing a complaint against China for protectionist issues, meanwhile, we are leading the way with "Buy American". Easy enough?

:rolleyes: you sir, are an idiot! and I mean in that in the nicest way possible.

The point is a simple one, and that is that we are filing a complaint against China for protectionist issues, meanwhile, we are leading the way with "Buy American". Easy enough?

My point is even simpler.

If a Republican administration was in office you'd be frothing all over yourself about how roughly they're willing to handle the Chinese.

The issue itself is tertiary to you; you're primarily and secondarily a political cheerleader.

So you are a Communist sympathizer. Figures. America - Love it or leave it pal. Love it or leave it.

My point is even simpler.

If a Republican administration was in office you'd be frothing all over yourself about how roughly they're willing to handle the Chinese.

The issue itself is tertiary to you; you're primarily and secondarily a political cheerleader.

If if's and buts were candy and nuts........

Try focusing for a second, and get that liberal baton out your ass because it is affecting how you interpret what it is that I am saying.

For months now I have criticized the "Buy American" clause, and I have made that public on this site on more than a few occasions. My argument has been that if we promote protectionist policies that it would send a bad message to the rest of the world, and it would only be logical that other countries would follow suit. Protectionism is a policy that I have always been against, and it is an even worse idea now. Of course, some politicians want to add the "Buy American" clause, because it is popular politically for obvious reasons, but at the end of the day, it does more harm to the people it is meant to help, because it encourages other countries to do the same, which in turn hurts our exporting companies such as GE, John Deere and Caterpillar to name a few.

If we want to have any chance of paying down this deficit, our exports will have to play a large role in this, and by promoting "Buy American" it sends the wrong message, and at the end of the day, will do more harm than good.

So yes, I find it some what hypocritical to file a complaint against China when we are basically doing the same thing.

Try focusing for a second, and get that liberal baton out your ass because it is affecting how you interpret what it is that I am saying.

For months now I have criticized ......

Yeah, I'm so liberal I voted for the most conservative Republican running. :rolleyes:

You've criticized for months?

And how long has the Obama administration been in office? For months?

Gee, what a co-incidence.......

You can dance around and rationalize it all you want but at the end of the day you're still a mindless cheerleading automaton parroting your masters and waving your pompoms for whatever your team wants you to cheer or boo.

Yeah, I'm so liberal I voted for the most conservative Republican running. :nana:

You've criticized for months?

And how long has the Obama administration been in office? For months?

Gee, what a co-incidence.......

You can dance around and rationalize it all you want but at the end of the day you're still a mindless cheerleading automaton parroting your masters and waving your pompoms for whatever your team wants you to cheer or boo.

you are a real meathead, how about we try this rationale genius, and see if it is "co-incidence", how long ago was the latest "Buy American" clause proposed and approved? could it be that the answer is a few months ago ?

ya, you're right, "co-incidence" :)

but thanks for playing :unsure:

Ross Perot was right.

Screw the Chinese and their history of unfair trade practices. And screw Mexico and Canada and ALL the US companies that fell for the lure of cheap labor and f*cked up our manufacturing base in the process. The only time they're patriotic is when they wave their flags on their commercials or sponsor the US Olympic teams. Bunch of free market hypocrites.

Yeah, it's radical. But it's high time we went protectionist on EVERYONE's ass. Should of done it years ago, too.

Yes, I AM bitter. Rant over.

People seem upset about the decline of American wages.

Should an American, a school teacher say, or a bricklayer, earn 10 times as much as somebody doing the same work somewhere else?

Whatever your leanings on the trade issue, you should first answer that. And if you think they should, you should address why you think free trade/barriers will preserve it. Otherwise you are just howling at the moon.

Should an American, a school teacher say, or a bricklayer, earn 10 times as much as somebody doing the same work somewhere else?

Whatever your leanings on the trade issue, you should first answer that. And if you think they should, you should address why you think free trade/barriers will preserve it. Otherwise you are just howling at the moon.

It doesn't matter what side of the economic aisle you fall on, whether you are keynesian such as Krugman or a monetarist like Milton Friedman, Free Trade is a much better economic policy as opposed to Protectionism.

Have to say yes. I would imagine my cost of living is much higher than those who live in India. I think we need to figure out how to level the playing field. From what I understand, China does not allow nearly as much as we do. Do not shut off imports, just make the import/exports a bit more level if possible.

I think we need to figure out how to level the playing field.

And there you have it: the mating call of the perpetually unchallenged.

When you level the paying/playing field, you eliminate incentives. When you elmiinate incentives, you squash creativity and productivity. When you squash creativity and productivity, the world becomes complacent.

Great plan there.

Look, I can't help it if you've peaked your income potential. But just because you've hit the wall doesn't mean people in similar jobs who work harder, faster and more productively should have to get sucked into your unproductive vortex just because the unchallenged thinks we need a level playing field.

And there you have it: the mating call of the perpetually unchallenged.

When you level the paying/playing field, you eliminate incentives. When you elmiinate incentives, you squash creativity and productivity. When you squash creativity and productivity, the world becomes complacent.

Great plan there.

Look, I can't help it if you've peaked your income potential. But just because you've hit the wall doesn't mean people in similar jobs who work harder, faster and more productively should have to get sucked into your unproductive vortex just because the unchallenged thinks we need a level playing field.

Actually I have not hit the wall. Doing very well actually. Also, I work very hard, quick and my productivity is unmatched.

For me, I do not want to charge $10 for a job that I normally charge (and rightfully so) $75 - $100 just because someone in India is. I would however lower my rates if I didn't have a higher cost of living than those I compete with.

I would however lower my rates if I didn't have a higher cost of living than those I compete with.

Then go ahead and lower them. No one is stopping you. But if you can get $100/hour and do very well, then why in the name of capitalism would you want to lower your rates? That's just ridiculous.

Then go ahead and lower them. No one is stopping you. But if you can get $100/hour and do very well, then why in the name of capitalism would you want to lower your rates? That's just ridiculous.

When one loses out on some projects due to someone in India or where ever doing that project for a considerable drop in price. One should may want to look at lowering rates to compete.

Personally. That has happened to me before. I said F the project and went for higher end freelance clients. Not going to kill myself over something that clearly does not pay well. I have been fortunate to be able to do that. Not a lot of people can gain clients like that and are forced to come down.