U.S filing a WTO complaint against China????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the issue Benedict. Just because other countries do it, is not a reason for us to do so. You said it, "all countries practice protectionism" but we are suppose to be leading the way, specially now more so now, protectionist policies do more harm than good, for everyone involved, and when we added the "Buy American" clause in our highly publicized Stimulus Bill, it sent the wrong message, and for us to complain about the Chinese sort of makes it a little less meaningful. They must be rolling their eyes right now, and laughing sort of like when Geithner went over to China recently and told there students that "Chinese assets are very safe" and that" We're committed to bring our fiscal deficits down over time to a sustainable level." also that "we believe in a strong dollar".

Words seem to lose their meaning when you don't practice what you preach.

We have allowed China to manage their currency for competitive advantage for years now (which is protectionism)....you seem to be suggesting that there is no bilateral nature to this and the US should just do what is right. Even with protectionist measures countries can reach an equilibrium that both countries think is "fair" or a status quo that both governments are content with.

I have no idea. I do not herd cattle. However, I know I AM worth in MY field here in the U.S.

But you just said that you set your rates. In fact, you specifically said that you are entitled to what you earn because you set the rates.

So why aren't you entitled to the same "worth" as a Zambian cattle herder as a whatever-it-is-you-do in wherever-the-hell-you-are? You set the rates, don't you?

First off, not poor. Secondly, I agree with you. I do have items such as a car and a more expensive home than some of the market competitors in India. A person charging $10 per project in the U.S. would be on Welfare, whereas in India they are for the most part doing ok. Mainly because they do not have to cover the expenses we may have.

So you would rather eliminate all trade barriers? May ask what market you work within?

Cost or the amount one charges is only an issue in absence of value. If you can't provide a better service for what the person in Inida is charging, well I'm sorry it's time to find a different line of work. Sorry, but the world has shrunk.

But you just said that you set your rates. In fact, you specifically said that you are entitled to what you earn because you set the rates.

So why aren't you entitled to the same "worth" as a Zambian cattle herder as a whatever-it-is-you-do in wherever-the-hell-you-are? You set the rates, don't you?

I do set my freelance rates. People/companies come to me with their ideas or projects. I tell them what I charge for my services. Sometimes per hour other times per project.... either way I set my rates. I know where I need to be for each project.

I do set my freelance rates. People/companies come to me with their ideas or projects. I tell them what I charge for my services. Sometimes per hour other times per project.... either way I set my rates. I know where I need to be for each project.

Yes, we've already established you set your rates, and you're entitled to your worth because of it.

So again...if you set your rates, what are you entitled to as a Zambian cattle herder?

What's your closing percentage?

Cost or the amount one charges is only an issue in absence of value. If you can't provide a better service for what the person in Inida is charging, well I'm sorry it's time to find a different line of work. Sorry, but the world has shrunk.

And it's not a matter of better service. Many companies will go for lesser value just to save a buck.

And it's not a matter of better service. Many companies will go for lesser value just to save a buck.

If you provide a service and it's better than the competition cost be damned. People that go to a lesser value to save a buck are typically the companies that are no longer in existance.

If you provide a service and it's better than the competition cost be damned. People that go to a lesser value to save a buck are typically the companies that are no longer in existance.

Maybe they are no longer in existence. Who knows. You would like to think that hiring managers would see that even though the service is better and the work is better it's worth the higher price... however most look to be WAY under budget, not just a tad under budget and go with the lesser hoping that they will have something to be proud of.

I would imagine that sometimes it works out for them. Betting on that it's not worth the hassle.