Where your tax dollars go, part #178,390

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if you want my opinion... if the teacher or any union worker is blamed for some sort of offense. They should be allowed due process. If after that, the facts are that they were not doing their job or abusing the system. Fire their ass. How's that?

I protect union workers who work. Not the ones that abuse the system.

Seems to me the problem is less with the "suspended with pay" system the union negotiated than the glacially slow pace of disciplinary hearings - which is probably the city's fault, though I'll still blame it on NYSUT. Because I hate them.

Now if you want my opinion... if the teacher or any union worker is blamed for some sort of offense. They should be allowed due process. If after that, the facts are that they were not doing their job or abusing the system. Fire their ass. How's that?

I protect union workers who work. Not the ones that abuse the system.

No they shouldn't--that's a sense of entitlement talking.

All employees should just be "at will."

right on cue <_<

Who had 18 minutes in the pool?

Yeah...'due process' for guys that grab some 15 year old's ass or steal the schools' money. Funny how the rest of the world manages to cope despite being fired on the spot for such offenses. I guess the concept of going out and finding another job is little foreign to these geniuses.

Who had 18 minutes in the pool?

Yeah...'due process' for guys that grab some 15 year old's ass or steal the schools' money. Funny how the rest of the world manages to cope despite being fired on the spot for such offenses. I guess the concept of going out and finding another job is little foreign to these geniuses.

If you were accused of doing something wouldn't you want due process? Let me guess you wouldn't have a spine... you'd just say f it and go get another job. I am sure it would be so easy for you to find another job with accusations hanging over your head.

No they shouldn't--that's a sense of entitlement talking.

What if some (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#kid, pissed off about their grade or a detention or whatever, decides to get revenge by telling the principal that "Mr Smith tried to kiss me in the hall"?

Is the guy not entitled to due process?

If you were accused of doing something wouldn't you want due process? Let me guess you wouldn't have a spine... you'd just say f it and go get another job. I am sure it would be so easy for you to find another job with accusations hanging over your head.

It's called the real world. Life isn't always fair, but it usually favors those who can pick themselves up after misfortune (whether deserved or not) and move on.

What if some (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#kid, pissed off about their grade or a detention or whatever, decides to get revenge by telling the principal that "Mr Smith tried to kiss me in the hall"?

I think the main point is why does it take years to hold a disciplinary hearing?

It's called the real world. Life isn't always fair, but it usually favors those who can pick themselves up after misfortune (whether deserved or not) and move on.

I know that life is not always fair. However I do not know one person that would just take an accusation, lose their job and just walk away without having their side heard. If someone did that and they were innocent of whatever - they are a moron.

Question is: Is it the unions fault that it's taking so long for a disciplinary hearing? If it is, then those people should be shot. Get the business done and over with and move on. Doesn't help either side to have anything linger on.

In the real world, Mr Smith's superior considers the accusation and handles it accordingly. Maybe he's skeptical and ignores it, maybe he gives a warning, maybe its the last straw.

If he's a good manager, great. If he's not, the company suffers and people won't stay there. But if his hands are tied by HR proceedures (such as in a unionized workplace), you can guarantee that the company will suffer.

Question is: Is it the unions fault that it's taking so long for a disciplinary hearing? If it is, then those people should be shot. Get the business done and over with and move on. Doesn't help either side to have anything linger on.

No. But excessive regulation means that the hearings can only be done in certain ways and by certain people which, the article points out, are not sufficient for the backlog. So by locking yourself in to these proceedures you are mandating that an organization devote resources to it. You basically need a full-time cadre of disciplinarians on the payroll, money which in a sane company would go to productive employees.

In the real world, Mr Smith's superior considers the accusation and handles it accordingly. Maybe he's skeptical and ignores it, maybe he gives a warning, maybe its the last straw.

If he's a good manager, great. If he's not, the company suffers and people won't stay there. But if his hands are tied by HR proceedures (such as in a unionized workplace), you can guarantee that the company will suffer.

Oh my god. The company will suffer because procedures have been put in place? :rolleyes::wacko: Keep in mind that BOTH sides agree upon all contracts even if they mention procedures. Now I am sure the next thing I here will be something along the lines of the union strangle hold against the employer.

What if someone accused you in the real world of something you didn't do. The manager just takes it for what it is. You wouldn't want due process? You wouldn't want your voice to be heard?

I love the pure hatred for unions. Yet, most people wouldn't have 90% maybe more of what they do without the unions.