Joe Ferguson

Would Joe, if he played today today, be effective as a Bills qb in today's game??

Your title could have and should have been more descriptive. Given Ferguson's health issues, a post like this is sort of alarming with a simple title like that. I suggest you alter your subject title.

That said, yes, why not? If he were in his prime today, I think he could compete in today's game.

Just as I am sure that any intelligent person understands that chazbb was talking in reference to the thread title...

Fergie was a very good QB, he had a rifle for an arm, and could toss the long ball as well.

I have to admit, the title of the thread made me nervous as well. That being said, I think Fergy could be effective today. He didn't have the size of the typical QB now, but with his mobility and smarts, he could do well.

Ferguson always had his detractors in Buffalo, but his role in the Bills offense shifted dramatically, depending on who his coach was. When the Bills ran a pass heavy offense, Ferguson did very well. He led, or was near the top of the NFL in passing yards, at least 3 or 4 times, in and era that was not as pass happy as it is now, and would become in the 1990's. Strangely, I don't believe he was ever named to the Pro Bowl...his td/int ratio it what kills him.

Ferguson was not a HOF'er, but he was a better than average NFL QB. Ironically, he had his best, most prolific years, when Chuck Knox, always characterized as one of the very conservative coaches in NFL history, was his boss. I loved the guy, and depending on which day you ask me, either he or Jerry Butler are my favorite Bills of all time.

While it is true, Fergy was not huge (6'1" about 195lbs), I think, in his prime he could be an effective NFL starter today. Remember, Drew Brees is only 6ft...he weighs in at about 205, but, no doubt Fergy would bulk up, if needed, just as Brees did. Players, in general, were smaller in Fergusons era...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FergJo00.htm

Would Joe, if he played today today, be effective as a Bills qb in today's game??

of course---he would be a very good qb----just like he was in the 70s and 80s. He was reasonably mobile,good decision maker...laser like accuracy on his passes...and well above average arm strength altho not a cannon.

...laser like accuracy on his passes...and well above average arm strength altho not a cannon.

QFT - Fergy was the QB when I was growing up so I am slightly biased - but one of my most enduring memories as a Bills fan was going to one game as a kid (although I can't remember the opponent :lol: ) with a blistering wind at Rich stadium and Fergy just doing his thing - then he gets hurt late in the game and Marangi comes in - and proceeds to throw 3 or 4 balls that just are the lamest ducks in the world against the wind - that is when I really realized first hand what it meant/took to be a goood QB in Buffalo.

BTW - nothing compares in my history for Buffalo QB heroics than Fergy playing on one leg against SD and almost actually pulling it out - what an unbelievably gutsy performance - arguably one of the gutsiest ever.

BTW - nothing compares in my history for Buffalo QB heroics than Fergy playing on one leg against SD and almost actually pulling it out - what an unbelievably gutsy performance - arguably one of the gutsiest ever.

+1

QFT - Fergy was the QB when I was growing up so I am slightly biased - but one of my most enduring memories as a Bills fan was going to one game as a kid (although I can't remember the opponent :lol: ) with a blistering wind at Rich stadium and Fergy just doing his thing - then he gets hurt late in the game and Marangi comes in - and proceeds to throw 3 or 4 balls that just are the lamest ducks in the world against the wind - that is when I really realized first hand what it meant/took to be a goood QB in Buffalo.

That SD game was ferguson at his high point I think.---And a lot of throwing in brutal winds is not necessarily brute arm strength but intuition of when to throw(ebb and flow of winds--judging them--a skill developed playing ball in the back yard as a kid I believe)...and the ability to throw a tight spiral. Montana had that ability even though he only had a very average arm strengthwise.

Fergy could play in todays game. i don't know if his chin would be able to withstand the turf after an interception though.

well if he smoked enough pot he wouldnt get so down..... like you do when you use hydrocodone or heroin

That SD game was ferguson at his high point I think.---And a lot of throwing in brutal winds is not necessarily brute arm strength but intuition of when to throw(ebb and flow of winds--judging them--a skill developed playing ball in the back yard as a kid I believe)...and the ability to throw a tight spiral. Montana had that ability even though he only had a very average arm strengthwise.

This is true but Fergy had a very strong arm. And sometimes arm strength is the only way to get it to the receiver. I interviewed Vince Ferragamo after a Bills loss and he was very embarrassed that he was unable to hit open receivers on the deep out patterns. It was after a typically windy autumn day at Rich Stadium.

Back then we all thought and were told it was a sprain.

Fergy KNEW it was broken.

Can anyone here say "Great Big Ones" because that's what that guy had, and still has with his health battles, today.

Thanks for the memories and God bless you, Joe.

Oh, and yeah, he would be good today.

Back then we all thought and were told it was a sprain.

Fergy KNEW it was broken.

Can anyone here say "Great Big Ones" because that's what that guy had, and still has with his health battles, today.

Thanks for the memories and God bless you, Joe.

Oh, and yeah, he would be good today.

no doubt. any Bills fan who hasn't seen that game should definitely watch it.

He wouldn't be a first tier player like Brees or Manning, but I think he'd compare well enough to the second tier players like Carson Palmer and guys like him.

Someone here said he was a good decision maker, I was young when I watched him but I thought decisions were his downfall at times. I remember him trying to throw a ball from his knees during a game on Monday night against Dallas, which was picked off of course.

Also, supposedly olne of the things that caused the Bills to change their helmets from white to red was to differentiate Bills receivers from the other white helmets in the AFC East (Pats*, Miami, Colts), this was the year after he'd thrown 25 INTs.

Fergy's decision making didn't always come into play because the line was usually great at pass blocking. We still had Reggie McKenzie, and if talent wasn't enough Conrad Dobler would leg whip someone or poke him in the eye. There was a muddy game at Foxboro where the Bills were wearing the white uniforms and in the 3rd quarter the announcer pointed out that every Bill had a muddy jersey except Ferguson.

He wouldn't be a first tier player like Brees or Manning, but I think he'd compare well enough to the second tier players like Carson Palmer and guys like him.

Someone here said he was a good decision maker, I was young when I watched him but I thought decisions were his downfall at times. I remember him trying to throw a ball from his knees during a game on Monday night against Dallas, which was picked off of course.

Also, supposedly olne of the things that caused the Bills to change their helmets from white to red was to differentiate Bills receivers from the other white helmets in the AFC East (Pats*, Miami, Colts), this was the year after he'd thrown 25 INTs.

Fergy's decision making didn't always come into play because the line was usually great at pass blocking. We still had Reggie McKenzie, and if talent wasn't enough Conrad Dobler would leg whip someone or poke him in the eye. There was a muddy game at Foxboro where the Bills were wearing the white uniforms and in the 3rd quarter the announcer pointed out that every Bill had a muddy jersey except Ferguson.

I would compare him with players in the league today like Chad Pennington, Jake Delhomme or even the guy in Buffalo now Trent Edwards.

Fergie with guys like T.O. and Evans with two above average running back would be a top 10 passer even today.

He still is one of the best QBs to put on a Bills jersey IMO

Utube has that San Diego playoff game is you havent seen it. I think it was posted on here not to long ago.

Still believe if Fergie was healthy we would have won that game.