Drew Brees

Frez

D. Brees 22/36 257 4td's

The Chargers are now 6-3 with Phillip Rivers on the bench.

106727[/snapback]

I can predict the mistake the Chargers are going to make:

They've put 4 years into him, developing him...and he's finally putting it all together. They have a rookie #2 pick sitting on the bench and Brees contract is up this year.

So what does a perpetual loser franchise do? They'll let Brees go and cross their fingers that Rivers develops...of course they'll spend another 3-4 years developing him...and he'll be a bust.

I can almost guarantee this scenario plays out. If the Chargers were smart they’d try to resign Brees and trade Rivers for a top 5 pick this year where they can address other positions…like the Oline.

I can predict the mistake the Chargers are going to make:

They've put 4 years into him, developing him...and he's finally putting it all together.  They have a rookie #2 pick sitting on the bench and Brees contract is up this year.

So what does a perpetual loser franchise do?  They'll let Brees go and cross their fingers that Rivers develops...of course they'll spend another 3-4 years developing him...and he'll be a bust.

I can almost guarantee this scenario plays out.  If the Chargers were smart they’d try to resign Brees and trade Rivers for a top 5 pick this year where they can address other positions…like the Oline.

106781[/snapback]

Re-sign Brees for what? With the way he's playing (9 TD's the past 2 weeks), they'll have to pay him as much as Rivers. That's not going to happen and they can't afford to franchise him, so basically they're going to get nothing for him.

Re-sign Brees for what?  With the way he's playing (9 TD's the past 2 weeks), they'll have to pay him as much as Rivers.  That's not going to happen and they can't afford to franchise him, so basically they're going to get nothing for him.

106795[/snapback]

I have no clue what their cap situation is, but when you have a franchise QB you do whatever it takes to keep him. You don't "hope" that the guy you just drafted turns into a franchise type QB.

I have no clue what their cap situation is, but when you have a franchise QB you do whatever it takes to keep him.  You don't "hope" that the guy you just drafted turns into a franchise type QB.

106799[/snapback]

LOL! You DO know who the Chargers' GM is, don't you? You think HE wants to go through all that (although in a different capacity) again?

Go through what exactly?

106808[/snapback]

The Chargers' GM is AJ Smith, who was the Pro Personnel Director I believe with the Bills. He was instrumental in bringing Flutie to Buffalo. Then the Bills traded for RJ and paid him a ton, while Flutie "just won." Then Flutie got paid well, the Bills had 2 high-priced QB's on the team, and ran into cap problems as a result, as well as team chemistry problems. If they pay Brees a ton, then they'll have the same situation happening.

This would be a good thread to announce my hatred for Fantasy Football.

Last week it was Mushin Muhommed having the game of his life, and this week it's Kellen Winslow....err....Antonio Gates (I know he's had a good year, but 3 TD's?)

I swear, if you're my oppononent you could start Steve Smith and he'd get 200 yards and 3 TD's on a broken leg. It's uncanny.

Meanwhile, Tomlinson and Heap will apparantly never be healthy, ever.

This would be a good thread to announce my hatred for Fantasy Football. 

Last week it was Mushin Muhommed having the game of his life, and this week it's Kellen Winslow....err....Antonio Gates (I know he's had a good year, but 3 TD's?)

I swear, if you're my oppononent you could start Steve Smith and he'd get 200 yards and 3 TD's on a broken leg.  It's uncanny.

Meanwhile, Tomlinson and Heap will apparantly never be healthy, ever.

106817[/snapback]

Please, pickup Dillon and Brady this week!

The Chargers' GM is AJ Smith, who was the Pro Personnel Director I believe with the Bills.  He was instrumental in bringing Flutie to Buffalo.  Then the Bills traded for RJ and paid him a ton, while Flutie "just won."  Then Flutie got paid well, the Bills had 2 high-priced QB's on the team, and ran into cap problems as a result, as well as team chemistry problems.  If they pay Brees a ton, then they'll have the same situation happening.

106816[/snapback]

That's why I said in my original post I think they should just go ahead and trade Rivers...why hope this kid develops when you've invested 4 years in a guy who already has? They could get a top 5-8 pick for Rivers...sure it's not the best scenerio, but it's better than giving up a franchise QB.

That's why I said in my original post I think they should just go ahead and trade Rivers...why hope this kid develops when you've invested 4 years in a guy who already has?  They could get a top 5-8 pick for Rivers...sure it's not the best scenerio, but it's better than giving up a franchise QB.

106824[/snapback]

My bad. I thought he was an UFA at the end of the year. Interesting he signed a 6-year deal, being a 2nd round pick.

Can you imagine the crap that Drew Brees would have gotten on this board if he were the quarterback of the Bills his first three years in the league?

I don't know K, I thoght Brees didn't look too bad on the field his first few years; at least not as bad as a story-hungry media wanted to portray. He struggled early in games but was really effective in the 4thqrtr, often keeping the woeful Chargers in games they had no business being in. Admittedly I only caught a smaller sample of his performances, but basically after some really solid clutch-time play for an undermanned team, I thought the Chargers bailing on Brees and drafting Rivers was a disastard in the making.

Cya

P.S. Awesome adjective/noun! I fully intend to steal and use(urp) it with no regard whatsoever to its creator;-)