You gotta love the flutie magic

"DF is a better QB than RJ...look how he holds his little finger on his throwing hand a quarter-inch more forward on the ball..." Yeah, I really miss those days...nitpicking every single little meaningless thing about two quarterbacks who both basically sucked. Good thing we as a group have grown beyond that...

But...my God...come on...ELEVEN PAGES!!! And it was ten years ago! Why not discuss Bruce Mathison/Vince Ferragamo while we're at it?

Trent Edwards is a better QB than JP Losman... uh, never mind. :rolleyes:

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a guy that is absolutely horrible, Bruce DeHaven has spent 23 years as a Coach in the NFL, currently in his 3rd year as the Seahawks Special teams coach.

I don't think he's referring to DeHaven, whom Wade did fire - I think he's referring to Ronnie Jones.

Yeah but what a career for a guy who was drafted in the 11th round by the Rams. Other fun Flutie facts:

At the time the USFL folded in 1986, Flutie and Sean Landeta were the last two active players kept by the league.

He beat out former NFL MVP Brian Sipe for the New Jersey Generals starting job.

He crossed the picket line in 1987 when the NFL players went on strike.

In the CFL he was the highest paid player in league history, was 99-27 as a starter, won 3 Grey Cup Championships and was MVP in all three games. His backup his last two years in Calgary was Jeff Garcia. While in Calgary he was criticized for being a player who couldn't win in cold weather. He holds the pro football record of most passing yards in a season with 6619. He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Player a record six times. He was voted the most outstanding player in the history of the CFL in a poll by TSN. He is the first Canadian to be named to the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame.

Back in the NFL, in 2001 at the age of 41 he became the oldest NFL player to score two rushing touchdowns in one game and the oldest to win Offensive Player of the Week in his first season with the Chargers.

In a 2005 game against the Jets in the last nationally televised game for Monday Night Football on ABC, Flutie played for New England against Vinnie Testaverde and the Jets. It was the first time in NFL history that two quarterbacks over the age of 40 (Vinnie was 41, Doug was 43) played against each other.

In his final professional football game in January of 2006 Belichick sent Flutie on the field in a strange alignment for the extra point. It was not however a two point conversion attempt. Flutie drop kicked the ball through the uprights for the extra point, the first time that had been done in an NFL game since 1941. Flutie's career record as a starter in the NFL is 38-27. When he retired after the 2006 season he was the second last USFL player to retire, after Sean Landeta. He played 23 years of professional football. He is married to his high school sweetheart.

Love him or hate him, that is a remarkable career. A lot of this stuff you couldn't make up.

That is remarkable. I'm going to Canton in August. I can't wait to see his bust in the HOF and read more about his remarkable career.

Are you serious??

So you're saying that, way back (10 years ago), because the internet didn't have TSW, we will never know about all of Fluties nefarious misdeeds?

You know, I hear they did have newspapers, sports magazines and the "television" back then. Awesome stuff! Just unbelievable.

Flutie and TO were equal self-promoters.

Did Flutie perform endless self serving TD celebrations? Did he spit on another player? Did he disrespect another team and their home crowd by dancing on their logo? Did he call another teammate gay? Did he get suspended for being this bad person you imagine? Was he released by 2 teams, despite playing well?

I guess we'll never know because the internet wasn't quite up to par and all those "self-promoting" events that you insinuate ware lost forever in the fog of a sports nation's memory. Maybe you can find someone who was alive back than and ask them to tell you all about Flutie's TO moments--so that you can preserve them for posterity----here, on the "internet".

Actually, the internet did have TSW in 1998. January 22, 1998, to be precise, following the HyperBills meltdown at the D&C's site ... less than a week after Flutie was signed. Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Carry on ...

Who owns a SB ring? RJ or Flutie?

Actually, they both do. You get a SB ring whether you win or lose. Flutie is the only guy in Super Bowl history to be on a roster that had converted a drop kick during the regular season! How many does Jim Kelly have? Bruce? Thurman? Trent Edwards?

Actually, they both do. You get a SB ring whether you win or lose. Flutie is the only guy in Super Bowl history to be on a roster that had converted a drop kick during the regular season! How many does Jim Kelly have? Bruce? Thurman? Trent Edwards?

Untrue. Flutie would have an AFC Championship ring, but not a Super Bowl ring.

Sorry there bandit, I grew weary of the thread after the first 7 pages, and weary of the DF v. RJ argument about 5 years ago.

That argument is ridiculous.

I thought the thread was simply a Flutie thread, but apparently you can't debate his merits without someone calling you a Rob Johnson fan.

According to your argument, they should have 4 each, for a total of 12.

Yes, but none of them converted a meaningless drop-kick at the risk of missing an otherwise easily-convertible extra point.

Dammit Senator, stop introducing logic here, it's confusing.

The internet was still in its infancy back when Flutie was with the Bills. No Youtube, no Twitter, no Facebook, no Google even. And back when he was released by 2 NFL teams before taking refuge in the CFL, the internet wasn't even around (at least, not to the public). So all the bad stuff around him wasn't known. But of course you will excuse him being released as being "relegated to the back of the bus," given his enormous talent that was being squandered. Maybe if he'd returned to the NFL after a couple years in the CFL and had a larger body of work while in his prime, we'd have a better sense of just how great he was.

And I won't make excuses for TO's spitting incident or calling Garcia gay. But consider the TD celebrations as the yin to Jauron's stone-faced yang. At least he didn't try to run over a meter maid or commit DUI manslaughter.

You've already excused TO's "Garcia's gay" comment---everyone, including you, already knew he was gay!

You still seem to be under the impression that all of these bad things could not simply be reported in the newspapers, magazines and ESPN--like, how ALL info was disseminated back then. What events transpired involving Flutie could ONLY have been reported through youtube, twitter, or facebook (WTF??). If "all the bad stuff around him wasn't known" then, why isn't it known now?

You clearly have a list of things that you were somehow able to compile back then, despite the lack of modern internet resources. I'm still waiting to hear them. Are you backing away from that one also? While you're at it, explain why we've come to know about all of TO's poor behavior over the years without the aid of the internet--we simply read the paper and watched TV.

Exactly! That's what I got. I guess it depends on what the definition of the word "super bowl ring" is. I looked it up. Losing teams get "jewelry" from the league worth no more than $1500. They're rings. Rings they got for being in the Super Bowl. I've always considered a super bowl ring to be a ring someone won for playing in the Super Bowl which is a monumental task. Hell, "it's hard to win in the NFL", said Dick Jauron. Others think differently I guess.