What Could Have Been

MattM

Not to beat a dead horse too much, but it occurred to me in looking at our current proposed starters that this team could have been a ton better and a sure fire playoff contender if they had simply found a way to keep Peters, draft Maybin, trade our second and third to move up to take Eric Wood late in the first and then use our 4th to take Nelson. We wouldn't have Byrd or Levitre, but our O-line would have been a (hopefully) happy Peters, Wood, Hangartner and, most importantly, Butler and Walker playing their natural positions. Two new guys on the line, but both improvements over last year, and three other better linemen at their normal spots. We'd also have addressed our other two major needs, DE and TE. Tell me that that team wouldn't have playoff potential written all over it. My fear this year is that with 5 guys playing new positions, Trent is going to spend more time on his back than....well, this is a family board, so I won't go there.

When the Bills traded Peters, I originally was pretty happy about it, in that I figured they must have "cash to cap" budgeted about $8-10m for him that would then be freed up to go get a LT and/or OLB. Personally, I expected them to at least sign one of Pisa or Levi, if not both. They've done neither, which makes me wonder how serious they were with their numbers for Peters and getting a real deal done.

Frustrating, but that seems to come with the territory of being a Bills fan these days......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Gandy started in the Super Bowl. LT is a very overrated position and Peters became overrated too.

Perspnally, I'd rather have a o-line that is hungry to win & prove themselves than someone who is just hungry for $. I don't blame Peters for that, but I don't blame the Bills for moving him either. Let's turn the page. This line will be better than it was in 2008.

Mike Gandy started in the Super Bowl. LT is a very overrated position and Peters became overrated too.

Perspnally, I'd rather have a o-line that is hungry to win & prove themselves than someone who is just hungry for $. I don't blame Peters for that, but I don't blame the Bills for moving him either. Let's turn the page. This line will be better than it was in 2008.

Remember that first statement this season.

BTW, Ask Boomer Esiason how must he loved Anthony Munoz. Ditto for Joe Montana and Steve Wallace. Eli Manning and Dave Diehl. McNabb for Tra Thomas all those years. Hasselbeck for Walter Jones. Marino for Richmond Webb.

If LT wasn't an especially important position, it's ironic that 1/4 of NFL teams drafted guys in the first round to play the position. In the past two years, Miami, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Denver, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Chicago and Houston have selected guys to play LT for them.

It is an extremely important position. And I believe we'll see Walker getting blocking help from a TE frequently this year.

I'm glad you have so much confidence in an OL where there will be five new starters at their respective positions, including two rookies. It's not a slam dunk that it's better than 08, 07, or even 06. They'll need to get up to speed really fast.

I'm glad you have so much confidence in an OL where there will be five new starters at their respective positions, including two rookies. It's not a slam dunk that it's better than 08, 07, or even 06. They'll need to get up to speed really fast.

Actually going to OTA's, minicamp, and training camp, will help a lot. :lol:

Actually going to OTA's, minicamp, and training camp, will help a lot. :lol:

It's crazy to think that one off-season will get three new starters and two guys changing positions to gel. Repeatedly remaking OL's is not a proven method of getting a better OL. The best ones in the league, like NYG and TEN needed time to get on the same page.

It is entirely possible that the rookies and Hangartner become solid players. But it may be a longer process (as in an entire season) before they're all on the same page as a cohesive unit.

It's crazy to think that one off-season will get three new starters and two guys changing positions to gel. Repeatedly remaking OL's is not a proven method of getting a better OL. The best ones in the league, like NYG and TEN needed time to get on the same page.

They also needed to get the right players in the right positions, versus keeping bad players in the same positions.

Until the season is played it is all a question mark. What we can realistically hope for is: the guys on the line this year will be meaner, tougher, more aggressive and hungrier. What does that mean? - that they'll be a better run blocking unit, that they'll handle the big nose tackles better. They wanted to get bigger and tougher. To me, that means running, and that means being better on the interior against the 3-4. I think they know they'll have to use TE's and even schemes like the no huddle in order to offset the step back they might have taken in passing situations. Granted, Peters gave up like 11 sacks last year, so Walker will have to do poorly to match that. Given that, the Bills are surely concerned with pass protection. So, I see our line being better as a running unit, hopefully putting our running game in the top five of the league. If they are medium as a pass blocking unit, then I'm guessing the F.O. will be satisfied with that and use schemes to try and offset it. I've been thinking all offseason that the Bills will be a run oriented team, much more than people expect, because of the arrival of T.O.. And, if they can run really good, teams will loosen up on blitzing and our recievers will be open more for opportune passes, quick drops and play action passes. That's what I expect, and I'd love to see us be able to run when we want to for a change. Think about it - it's third and two: in previous years, we'd be cringing because they'd go out and pass it, often times with terrible results. This year, it's third and two, and we go out and run it right up their gut, despite them knowing it is coming. Next year, if Walker doesn't bloom in his new role, they'll pick up a LT. Or, if Walker is terrible in training camp, with the pads on, they'll go out and get someone. Of course, Bell might end up being a diamond...

Looking back in hindsight is an act of futility. The draft is a crapshoot...period.

it would be but i said they should have drafted Ngata and Mangold before each pick was made

It is entirely possible that the rookies and Hangartner become solid players. But it may be a longer process (as in an entire season) before they're all on the same page as a cohesive unit.

You know for a guy who must dread opening day so much, you sure do come here a lot.

I don't think I ever seen you offer any kind of fact that isn't shrouded by your own pessimistic spin. Of course, that's assuming that said offering is actually a "fact."

You know for a guy who must dread opening day so much, you sure do come here a lot.

I don't think I ever seen you offer any kind of fact that isn't shrouded by your own pessimistic spin. Of course, that's assuming that said offering is actually a "fact."

Many people think that being gloomy all the time shows how smart they are. A psychologist would add that it is a way for people who have less control over their daily lives to present an image of critical clarity.

Not to beat a dead horse too much, but it occurred to me in looking at our current proposed starters that this team could have been a ton better and a sure fire playoff contender if they had simply found a way to keep Peters, draft Maybin, trade our second and third to move up to take Eric Wood late in the first and then use our 4th to take Nelson. We wouldn't have Byrd or Levitre, but our O-line would have been a (hopefully) happy Peters, Wood, Hangartner and, most importantly, Butler and Walker playing their natural positions. Two new guys on the line, but both improvements over last year, and three other better linemen at their normal spots. We'd also have addressed our other two major needs, DE and TE. Tell me that that team wouldn't have playoff potential written all over it. My fear this year is that with 5 guys playing new positions, Trent is going to spend more time on his back than....well, this is a family board, so I won't go there.

When the Bills traded Peters, I originally was pretty happy about it, in that I figured they must have "cash to cap" budgeted about $8-10m for him that would then be freed up to go get a LT and/or OLB. Personally, I expected them to at least sign one of Pisa or Levi, if not both. They've done neither, which makes me wonder how serious they were with their numbers for Peters and getting a real deal done.

Frustrating, but that seems to come with the territory of being a Bills fan these days......

Well I think a better way to have gone with the draft would have been to trade Peters and that trade the third round pick and pick number 28 to trade up for Oher. Than use the fourth and pick 42 to try and pick up Wood and sit tight and take Nelson with the fourth. So our o-line would be Oher-Wood-Hangartner-Butler-Walker which to me at least is better than what we have now. And we still get Maybin and Nelson to address other needs.

I know its being a Monday morning QB knowing how the draft shook out but while Oher was still available down around pick 20 I was shouting at my TV (Ok not really but I did want to) for the Bills to trade up and get him. Who knows maybe they tried but those teams wanted too much. Either way I am happy the Bills put two day one picks into the o-line and still managed to pick up other pieces.

I know there is a lot wrong with Oher but I think that if this staff could have made Peters into something than they could have shaped Oher into a great player. Peters was a tightend who became a very good LT Oher was a great college LT who just needed help with mastering play books and fine tuning other parts of his game. Oher to me would have been a great fit at around pick number 20 due to the value.

Many people think that being gloomy all the time shows how smart they are. A psychologist would add that it is a way for people who have less control over their daily lives to present an image of critical clarity.

Careful, RJ, you sounded pretty smart just then. Overeducated homer indeed.