Ever come soooooo close to a car accident and miss?

/dev/null

Freaky feeling, like you cheated fate or just got lucky

Yesterday I was driving along and ran into some traffic, like everything stop at once. Had to slam my brakes on (anti lock kicked in and everything). Traffic started again and then had to slam on the brakes again. Stopped less than 2 feet from the car in front of me.

Then i hear the screech of tires behind me and in my rear view i see the car swerve and he ended up half in the lane to the right

This afternoon I noticed a new scratch on my passengers side tail light, very small scratch nothing to worry about. I'm guessing their driver side mirror just clipped my tail light

That was close :lol:

No. On May 20th I was making a left turn and the lady behind me decides to go around me on my left (in the opposing lane)... Not a scratch on my Jeep's paint... Just a broken side marker and a scuffed fender flare... But she did about 1500 bucks damage to my wheel, tire and steering components that I had to have the rig towed... I am sure hopin' to get my $500 deductible back... Oh, then three days later she claims she has a neck injury... People are such idiots and in a rush!

:lol:

No. On May 20th I was making a left turn and the lady behind me decides to go around me on my left (in the opposing lane)... Not a scratch on my Jeep's paint... Just a broken side marker and a scuffed fender flare... But she did about 1500 bucks damage to my wheel, tire and steering components that I had to have the rig towed... I am sure hopin' to get my $500 deductible back... Oh, then three days later she claims she has a neck injury... People are such idiots and in a rush!

I had that happen once-turn signal on,in left lane-pass me on the left. The only thing that maybe saved my life is I have the habit of checking my rear view mirror any time I have to stop in the road.

It's a crazy feeling; I've had it multiple times. However, near misses definitely make you a better driver.

Near misses are a crazy feeling.

What makes my near miss feel even freakier, is a girl I work with got hit and run rear-ended last week. She ended up hitting the car in front of her. So she's on the hook for $500 deductable plus the cost of who she hit, unless they find who hit her.

I had that happen once-turn signal on,in left lane-pass me on the left. The only thing that maybe saved my life is I have the habit of checking my rear view mirror any time I have to stop in the road.

I has my turn signal on and everything... For the life of me I couldn't figure ouyt where she came from... I was making the left so my attention was on the opposing lane and then bam! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

The thing that pumps me is that the village it happened in won't give tickets unless the cop sees it... They did list her as the "at fault" vehicle. Even the cop said that she had no business being there until I committed to make my turn... She was behind me so she has to yield to me. People are in such a rush. The left turn I was making was right after (about 2 car lengths) a right turn at a intersection... And then she tries to beat it around me!!! Usually I know where everybody close to me is on the road... I had no idea where she was when she was trying to get around me!!! It was such a shock because all my attention was focused on what was coming at me from the opposing lane!! :lol::rolleyes: The only thing I can think of is that she thought after I made the right turn on to the road, I was going to make another right. The cop side that it didn't matter, she shouldn't be playing a guessing game going around people... She probably saw my intial right turn signal at the intersection and by the time my left signal was on she was along side of me in the opposing lane??? What gets me is the neck injury thing three days later... My wife had was hit about 15 years ago (she was going down the road and a girl pulled out and smashed into her) and that girl claims a neck injury a couple days later! I am not passing judgement on people, but WTF? You know it is bogus!!

In Buffalo with my family and as usual my we have the mini-van which my wife drives almost all of the time except to give her a break on trip from VA. We are driving from West Seneca to Blasdell, get a little gas and she asked if I could drive because she was a little tired. It is a little after dawn with mist and I am going a little less than speed limit (hate the van) and when I get to green light on Southwestern near Wilson Farms I hit the brakes HARD. My daughter rolls onto floor (laying down on bench w/o seat belt again, my wife goes forward jolted by seat belt and yells what the matter. The next instant a car comes barreling through light inches in front of van across Angie road going North probably going 55. He scrapped front bumper a bit an just continued on driving. Now this was not someone who was running red light and just missed it - light was green all the way from where I turned from Transit to Southwest. The idiot just was ignoring lights, going very fast and I just happened to catch the car out of corner of my eye. If I had broke less than 2 seconds later he would have collided straight into drivers side door. If I'd attempted to speed up the mini-van it would have hit the back of it. My wife said she never saw him and wouldn't have.

The biggest near miss I was ever around, from a "that guy was definitely dead" point of view, was this idiot kid who was trying to impress some girls. They waiting to cross the street (on foot) and then the idiot kid decided to just walk out directly into traffic to impress the girls. It had to have been the dumbes thing I've ever seen. He stepped out right in front of a bus. Luckily one of the girls pulled him back. Quite honestly, an idiot like that probably deserves to be hit, but I was about 2 feet away and that would've been something that haunted me for a long time. I was within about 2 feet and would've been covered with the resulting mess (yeah, I feel a bit dirty saying something like that).

If the cars can stay in position don't move them until the cop shows up and always take pictures of the accident scene and the damage to both cars on your cell phone. Then if you want to sue her in SC court you have evidence to back up the way the accident happened. Just a thought.

It's a crazy feeling; I've had it multiple times. However, near misses definitely make you a better driver.

As George Carlin said they should be called near hits.

Anyhoo, about year ago I almost was run over by a truck changing lanes. Either he didn't look or I was in his blind spot. I hammered the horn and he pulled back. When I got home I had to change my skivvies.

I think about this all the time now, but unfortunately I was the victim of a direct hit head on a few years ago that left me half blind and on the road to a knee replacement eventually. I was constantly haunted after it with "what if's". What if I had left work 5 minutes later or earlier? What if I wasn't detoured around my normal route home that day? It works both ways though, I have likely avoided some near misses or accidents because of choices I made in my driving life. Bottom line, it's scary on our roadways. There are way too many idiots out there texting, reading, putting on make-up, eating, jerking off etc. while driving.

Late on Saturday night I was coming home from Callahans in 2000 to my house on Elmwood....driving down the skyway by the aud and all of sudden there was a car coming right at me, going the wrong way on the skyway...I swerved...he never moved....WOW

The biggest near miss I was ever around, from a "that guy was definitely dead" point of view, was this idiot kid who was trying to impress some girls. They waiting to cross the street (on foot) and then the idiot kid decided to just walk out directly into traffic to impress the girls. It had to have been the dumbes thing I've ever seen. He stepped out right in front of a bus. Luckily one of the girls pulled him back. Quite honestly, an idiot like that probably deserves to be hit, but I was about 2 feet away and that would've been something that haunted me for a long time. I was within about 2 feet and would've been covered with the resulting mess (yeah, I feel a bit dirty saying something like that).

The sad part about this story that I hope is not true: (only joking)

The girls being impressed with this bad boy... He probably later knocked up both and passed the gene pool on... See you could have done society a favor... :lol::rolleyes:

If the cars can stay in position don't move them until the cop shows up and always take pictures of the accident scene and the damage to both cars on your cell phone. Then if you want to sue her in SC court you have evidence to back up the way the accident happened. Just a thought.

As George Carlin said they should be called near hits.

Anyhoo, about year ago I almost was run over by a truck changing lanes. Either he didn't look or I was in his blind spot. I hammered the horn and he pulled back. When I got home I had to change my skivvies.

That is where I may have made my 500 buck mistake... She moved (had '99 Expedition... She was 19 and it was her mother's vehicle with some rinky dink sub-standard insurance company <_<<_< ) into the parking lot (which I was going into in the first place) and I limped my vehicle into the lot also... It was busy and there was traffic everywhere... I had my children in the car too. :lol::rolleyes:

Dollars to donuts she was on her cell phone at the time (I can't prove that)... :rolleyes::thumbsup: Oh... Part of my broken side marker was clearly across the SOLID yellow line in the opposing lane of traffic! She shouldn't have been getting around period. Then she starts getting all crazy... I just walked away and let the cop handle her first. You know the sad part about it all (not just the bogus neck injury three days later)? She probably thinks that she did nothing wrong and that the cop listed her as the "at fault" vehicle because of other "issues!" I have no doubt what the thought process is (I hope I am wrong, but this is the second time in 15 years it happened according to script), nobody was injured in my vehicle, she's 19, the agressive driver in the incident and then comes down with a neck injury three days later. :wacko::wacko:

Brilliant. Stand in the middle of the busy road taking pictures of an accident. Wow. I can practically hear the minister saying "He didn't die in vain; his pictures ensured the family got the car repaired at no cost to themselves." :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, I had a near miss with some idiot a while back. I had the Bently out squirrelling late one Saturday afternoon. We had maybe 45 more minutes of daylight so the sun was really low in the sky and very bright. I was heading east so the sun was at my back. It was even pretty bright in the rear view, but it made for good sqirrelling because I could see the road ahead very clearly. Anyway this squirrell darts out and then stops right on the yellow line. I could tell he was screwing with me because he just stopped right on it. He did not know who he was dealing with plus he had a disadvantage due to the bright sun. I turned quickly to the right to force his move. When he went to my left I was 100% ready. I turned sharply and nailed him. I got him a little too good actually as he flipped in the air but not high enough to go in the sunroof.

I was a little pissed that I hadn't flipped him up as much as I'd have liked but then I got scared when I looked back up at the road. This dumb old man had not seen me cross over to get the squirrel and was coming right at me. He didn't see me until the last second because of the sun. It was so close that I could see the look on his face just before his slow reaction time kicked in and he swerved off the road and down a small embankment.

I have as much or more respect for old people but do they really need to drive westbound at sunset just to make it to the early bird special? That is dangerous. Anyway I saw him limp out of his car and onto the shoulder in my mirror. At least he was smart enough not to wander into the road and start taking pictures. When I circled back to pick up the squirrell he was yelling at me a little so he wasn't all there but still smart enough to not take pictures. He had a cell phone and said he was calling 911 so I started to leave because I was sure they'd give him a ride home. He kept saying over and over that he was calling 911 as if to make a point. It is sad that someone that old probably doesn't have friends anymore because he is a codger and everyone has abandoned him. The only people that would pick him up would be the 911 dudes I guess. I think he was reaching out to me for friendship but I had to get that squirrell back and I need dangerous friends like that like I need a hole in the head.

Brilliant. Stand in the middle of the busy road taking pictures of an accident. Wow. I can practically hear the minister saying "He didn't die in vain; his pictures ensured the family got the car repaired at no cost to themselves." :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ya... The volunteer firemen that had to respond to the carnage would have fits. Of course it would be worse in Canada.

:thumbsup:

Here they have signs on the freeway saying :

"No injuries? Pull to shoulder."

That's because goats eating the weeds on the embankment cause a 3 mile jam or a murder investigation on a seldom used off ramp (there was nothing blocking the road causes a 15 mile, 3 hour jam.

Here they have signs on the freeway saying :

"No injuries? Pull to shoulder."

That's because goats eating the weeds on the embankment cause a 3 mile jam or a murder investigation on a seldom used off ramp (there was nothing blocking the road causes a 15 mile, 3 hour jam.

They can tell how the cars are damaged... Most cities have "accident investigation" areas.

When i was about 17 i was driving on the 400 daydreaming in the left lane and going about 75. Somehow I didn't notice that ahead of me was a big huge service truck (with the flashing caution sign on the back) doing about 10mph painting lanes or something. When i finally realized it I swerved and missed it - but was maybe 30 feet away. Can't imagine that a honda civic into the back of a big county truck would have ended well.

Last year a trash dumpster that hadn't been lowered all the way hit an overpass and landed on the truck in front of me. I narrowly missed it as it came tumbling down the road. I thought for sure the guy was dead when I got to his truck. He walked away with only a couple of cuts and bruises. I on the other hand darn near crapped my pants.