Jay Riemersma to consider run for Congress

Gridiron star mulls over House bid

Former professional football player Jay Riemersma announced Thursday via YouTube that he had filed papers to form an exploratory committee that will allow him to fundraise for a possible bid in Michigan’s 2nd Congressional District.

Riemersma, a Republican, is seeking to replace nine-term Republican Rep. Pete Hoekstra, who is running for governor in 2010.

Riemersma said he will make a final decision regarding 2010 “later in the summer,” after speaking with voters in the district.

“They want leaders with the strength to stand up to higher taxes, Wall Street bailouts and out-of-control spending,” Riemersma said in the video. “People have encouraged me to consider running because I have the strength of my conservative convictions and will show leadership in these difficult economic times.”

A former tight end for the National Football League’s Buffalo Bills and a star player at the University of Michigan, Riemersma has worked for the conservative Family Research Council and coached high school football in Zeeland, Mich., since his retirement.

In November 2008, he signaled his politics when he penned a letter to the editor in the Holland Sentinel titled, “How could Christians vote for Obama?”

In that letter, Riemersma argued that faith should “permeate every aspect of our lives.”

“Too many Christians shroud their God-given light with misguided intentions and uninformed choices,” Riemersma wrote. “Moving forward to the next election, I implore all Christians to base their vote not on a political party or a polished politician but, rather, on biblical principle.”

The Politico 44 Story Widget Requires Adobe Flash Player.

If he runs, Riemersma would face a crowded Republican primary in the western Michigan-based 2nd. State Rep. Bill Huizenga announced a run in December, and state Sen. Wayne Kuipers is reportedly considering entering the race.

The district is one of the most Republican in Michigan, but in 2008, Sen. John McCain carried it by only 51 percent to 47 percent, down considerably from former President George W. Bush’s 60 percent in 2004.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/...0IDIWPJVM&C

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may be an ex-Bill but injecting religion into politics is a red flag for me.

PTR

How about a white flag of surrender!

Religion and politics have been around since day uno. Why shouldn't they be mixed? We have a constitution to deal with the political side of things and a moral obligation of follow our tenets when voting.

Go for it Jay, you have my support.

How about a white flag of surrender!

Religion and politics have been around since day uno. Why shouldn't they be mixed? We have a constitution to deal with the political side of things and a moral obligation of follow our tenets when voting.

Go for it Jay, you have my support.

Careful, you might send this into PPP, and you know what can happen in there :thumbsup:

Careful, you might send this into PPP, and you know what can happen in there :thumbsup:

QFT

I wish Jay well, but I just hope he is pandering to the right at the moment, and then panders towards the center when the general election comes around.

(I almost typed "erection" instead of election) :unsure:

"I implore all Christians to base their vote not on a political party or a polished politician but, rather, on biblical principle.” And I implore all non christians not to vote.

Wow, that's pretty wacked. We need less religion in politics, not more.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Alien Bob Dole: Abortions for all!

Crowd: Booooooo!

Alien Bob Dole: Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!

Crowd: Yaaaaaaay!

Alien Bob Dole: Abortions for all!

Crowd: Booooooo!

Alien Bob Dole: Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!

Crowd: Yaaaaaaay!

"If you have a more efficient way of exchanging complex protien strands I'd like to hear it."

PTR

Who was it that said;

"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports".....?

Oh Yeah!,,,,,,,George Washington!

What a wack job he was!

;)

Religion in politics is great. Ask Iranians and Saudis how they like it. We need to be more like them.

PTR

Wow, that's pretty wacked. We need less religion in politics, not more.

Yeah, we need less religion in everything. Look how good its working in the schools.

But don't you really mean Christianity and not religion? You will have your wish soon enough. When Israel goes down you'll wish you could go back in time and change your mind.