Ravens could dump Willis McGahee

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#627

Willis McGahee might be the Ravens' biggest bust acquisition in team history, as he signed a seven-year, $40 million contract in March 2007 after the Ravens had traded three draft picks to the Buffalo Bills for him. If the Ravens could, I think they would fast-forward his exit right out of Baltimore. -- Baltimore Sun

:D

Nice to see that the Bills come out on the upside of a trade. Drafting McGahee was a prime example of the stupid moves made during the TD era.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks VOR.

Wasn't there a seventh pick involved for Willis as well? Already a winning swap, anyway.

Yes, it was used on C.J. Ah You.

Actually I was wrong on the 5th rounder for Stroud. That was from the Bears, for Darwin Walker. The Bills got Walker and a 2008 7th rounder (which was used on Steve Johnson) from Philly for Spikes and Holcomb.

Their 2008 playoff appearance suggests that they overcame the McGahee deal quite well, wouldn't you think?

And as long as you're ripping Newsome, why not talk about his better moves in drafting: Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Peter Boulware, Chris McAlister, Jamal Lewis, Adalius Thomas, Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis, Ed Reed, Chester Taylor, Terrell Suggs, and Haloti Ngata.

Newsome isn't perfect, but when it comes to building a football team, he's pretty darn good.

I respect Newsome and all, but let's acknowledge the elephant in the room and start talking about his success drafting offensive players. You have three listed there plus Chester Taylor that were good picks. You have to think that the Ravens fans would be just as frustrated as Bills fans because of how poorly the offense does. Even last year they weren't that great on offense. With a top 5 defense all you need is a competant offense, which they haven't been able to field in the past ten years. The guy knows defense, but they have been terrible on offense. This was the guy that decided McNair still had something in the tank too.

Off the top of my head (in the modern era) there was the Marshall Faulk trade that worked out for St Louis as they won a Super Bowl with him and only gave up a 2nd and a 5th for him, and the Eric Dickerson trade which worked out well for all three teams involved. The Rams received Greg Bell and three 1st round picks, the Bills received LB Cornelius Bennett and the Colts got Dickerson. Dickerson led them to their first playoff appearance in ten years. He had three 1000 yard seasons with the Colts and led the NFL in rushing in 1988.

I'm sure there's other examples too but the point's been made.

Steelers got Jerome Bettis from the Rams along with a 3rd rounder for a 2 and future four. Rams felt the need to draft Lawrence Phillips. Terrific move. Actually this move created the need for the aforementioned Faulk trade.

BTW: How nice would it have been to have Faulk in the backfield starting in 1999? Only cost STL a 2 and a 5.

Also, the Dickerson trade was a disaster for the Rams because they wasted all the picks they got.

Buffalo No. 1 – 1988 (Gaston Green, RB, 14th overall)

Indianapolis No. 1 – 1988 (Aaron Cox, WR, 20th overall)

Indianapolis No. 2 – 1988 (Fred Strickland, LB, 47th overall)

Buffalo No. 1 – 1989 (Cleveland Gary, RB, 26th overall)

Indianapolis No. 2 – 1989 (Frank Stams, LB, 45th overall)

Buffalo No. 2 – 1989 (Darryl Henley, DB, 53rd overall)

Dallas fleeced Minnesota in the Walker deal and the haul they got won them 3 Super Bowls. The Rams just got bad.

I respect Newsome and all, but let's acknowledge the elephant in the room and start talking about his success drafting offensive players. You have three listed there plus Chester Taylor that were good picks. You have to think that the Ravens fans would be just as frustrated as Bills fans because of how poorly the offense does. Even last year they weren't that great on offense. With a top 5 defense all you need is a competant offense, which they haven't been able to field in the past ten years. The guy knows defense, but they have been terrible on offense. This was the guy that decided McNair still had something in the tank too.

Does it matter who he had on offense? This is a guy who helped build one of the most dominating defenses since the NFL merger. That 2000 defense was excellent, allowing someone like Trent Dilfer to QB Baltimore and win a SB.

Last season the team wasn't stellar offensively, although they featured a rookie QB and rookie HC yet still had enough on O to get into the playoffs.

Newsome knows what he's doing. Just like Belichick, Pioli, Jerry Reese, AJ Smith, Parcells, Kevin Colbert, Polian, Reid/Heckert, Dimitroff, and perhaps Rod Graves.

Willis McGahee might be the Ravens' biggest bust acquisition in team history, as he signed a seven-year, $40 million contract in March 2007 after the Ravens had traded three draft picks to the Buffalo Bills for him. If the Ravens could, I think they would fast-forward his exit right out of Baltimore. -- Baltimore Sun

:wallbash:

I delight in seeing bad things happen to this man...

I can't see Willis being the biggest bust in team history. He had a good year for them in '07. He carried them in that game against the Patsies that they blew with a Brian Billick time-out on 4th down when they had Brady stopped on the QB sneak. I think this is just a disgruntled reporter. Was the $40 million dollar contract a mistake? Yes, but it's not as bad as he makes it out to be.

Cameron: He's been full speed [at the team's last minicamp] and has looked as good as he's looked since I've seen him. I'm just optimistic. He missed the entire training camp last year and he should come into training camp this year ready to go, which is exciting.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfo...et_headline_div

This also makes it sound as if the Ravens have no intentions of dropping McGahee.

Calm down mr negative...he made alot of good points. The Ravens front office is far superior to ours. We have a marketing guy and a scenile old man running the show. We havent sniffed the playoffs in 9 years, and this year will be the 10th. I would put some serious coin on it. Sorry, but did anyone think that when the weather turns bad you may need a tough, hardnosed rust belt style QB. Instead we get yet another Cali QB! Everyone sit back and watch trent falter in late november. Get your popcorn ready.

and you call yourself billsfan? What an oxymoron.

the sad thing...he looked dominant for the Bills early on.That first year taking over for Travis he was overpowering and fast.Then he either got lazy or the knee started to go again or a combo

Really? I'm pretty sure they're the best drafting team, a top-five defense every year, and they have a Super Bowl. McLameknee was a bust, but he didn't hurt them, they still won games.

Yeah, but knowing Ravens fans, they'll complain more after a season-ending AFC championship loss in Pittsburgh than a 7-9 season.

I'd take it, though.