Cash for Clunkers plan!! I love it!!

As it applies to cars, very few cars qualify. Unless you drive some kind of land yacht, your overall mileage probably exceeds 18 which means you don't qualify.

As for trucks, almost everyone who owns one can probably get the rebate as you only need like a 2 mpg improvement.

Way to reward those people who dumped their gas guzzlers years ago. You would think that someone who trades in a 20 mpg car for a 35 mpg car would deserve a rebate for making a big improvement, but this wouldn't qualify.

"For standard-duty models — most SUVs, vans and pickups:

1. The old one must be rated 18 mpg or less.

2. The new one must be at least 2 mpg better for $3,500 or at least 5 mpg better for $4,500.

For heavy-duties (6,000 to 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating):

1. The old one must be rated 15 mpg or less.

2. The new one must be rated at least 1 mpg better for $3,500, or 2 mpg or more for $4,500.

Work trucks (8,500 to 10,000 lbs.) don't have mpg ratings, so age is the criteria. The old one has to be a 2001 model or older. And only $3,500 is available."

Seems to reward anyone who trades in a truck for a new one.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious - about how many days a year would you need that much room? For me its about two that my car is packed (if that).

Seems pretty inefficient to gas around in a larger car 365 days if you only use the space 10 days or less. Like choosing a pickup truck because of that (for most of us) one day a year when you need to move furniture.

What are you questioning, American's love of excess? :rolleyes:

Well, your CD collection looks shiny and costly.

How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?

And how much did you spend on your black leather jacket?

Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

Now tickets to concerts and drinking at clubs,

Sometimes for music that you haven't even heard of.

And how much did you pay for your rock'n'roll t-shirt

That proves you were there,

That you heard of them first?

How do you afford your rock'n'roll lifestyle?

Ah, tell me.

How much did you pay for the chunk of his guitar,

The one he ruthlessly smashed at the end of the show?

And how much will he pay for a brand new guitar,

One which he'll ruthlessly smash at the end of another show?

And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?

As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones.

And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?

As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones.

Aging black leather and hospital bills,

Tattoo removal and dozens of pills.

Your liver pays dearly now for youthful magic moments,

But rock on completely with some brand new components.

Excess ain't rebellion.

You're drinking what they're selling.

Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them.

Your chaos won't convert them.

They're so happy to rebuild it.

You'll never really kill it.

Yeah, excess ain't rebellion.

Excess ain't rebellion.

You're drinking,

You're drinking,

Isn't driving an old car the "greenest thing" to do? I think that was mentioned in a number of other threads.

Depends on what the official study of the day that the retards will drool over says.

Kinda reminds me of coffee. Is that healthy for us this month or not?

As it applies to cars, very few cars qualify.

Seems to reward anyone who trades in a truck for a new one.

Nope, the government had (will have) absolutely no role in the demise of the auto industry

I think you mean a Ford EXPEDITION (prior to its end in 2005 and even bigger there was the excursion)... I wouldn't put the explorer in the same class, because it is not. :rolleyes:

And anyway... The venerable suburban has been around since the mid-1930's... So there is obviously a need amongst consumers.

In a sense you are correct. Unfortunately the EXPEDITION didn't fit my pocket book both in monthly payments and gas.

So I stayed with the explorer because I can fit all of the stuff I need into it when I have too.

Just curious - about how many days a year would you need that much room? For me its about two that my car is packed (if that).

Seems pretty inefficient to gas around in a larger car 365 days if you only use the space 10 days or less. Like choosing a pickup truck because of that (for most of us) one day a year when you need to move furniture.

Quite a few actually. Besides hauling the kid to college, we need the room when we go camping, and or I can carry 7 passengers when / if I need to.

Nope, the government had (will have) absolutely no role in the demise of the auto industry

Agreed.

The Auto industry brought it upon themselves.

IMO they priced themselves out of the market and did as little as they could to make vehicles less reliant on fuel efficiency.

When some *joker* can convert his car to burn cooking oil in his garage .... please... The Big 3 have no excuse.

In a sense you are correct. Unfortunately the EXPEDITION didn't fit my pocket book both in monthly payments and gas.

So I stayed with the explorer because I can fit all of the stuff I need into it when I have too.

So far by new Highlander seems to have ample space and has been great to drive. The big test will come in August when packing for the beach vacation.

So far by new Highlander seems to have ample space and has been great to drive. The big test will come in August when packing for the beach vacation.

I just checked the cargo space... No comparrison. Cargo holds 10 cu ft compared to the 45 cu ft

BUT it does have 4 extra cup holders.

Agreed.

The Auto industry brought it upon themselves.

IMO they priced themselves out of the market and did as little as they could to make vehicles less reliant on fuel efficiency.

When some *joker* can convert his car to burn cooking oil in his garage .... please... The Big 3 have no excuse.

No, the auto industry had a lot of help along the way. Ever wonder why heavily unionized and overly regulated industries tend to file bankruptcy? Wonder why GM's international operations were doing better?

I just checked the cargo space... No comparrison. Cargo holds 10 cu ft compared to the 45 cu ft

BUT it does have 4 extra cup holders.

I wasn't comparing size (although in your haste to make a characteristically lame attempt at humor, you forgot to consider the 3d row seat and thus are comparing apples to oranges*). I was stating that sufficient space can be found in vehicles that are not overly large and inefficient. BUT, you do get to pay 20% more at the pump.

* duh... :doh:

Explorer:

Behind 2nd row: 5-passenger 45.1

Behind optional 3rd row: 7-passenger 13.6

Highlander:

Cargo volume (cu. ft.) behind front/middle/rear seats95.4/42.3/10.3

No, the auto industry had a lot of help along the way. Ever wonder why heavily unionized and overly regulated industries tend to file bankruptcy? Wonder why GM's international operations were doing better?

Yes that is true in regards to the unions, but that isn't the entire reason why GM has done better overseas. Growth prospects in the emerging markets has a good deal to do with that as well.

In regards to the Cash for Clunkers plan. On the surface, I actually don't think this is that bad of an initiative from the government. There is a huge excess of vehicles, so they do need to unload them, and this will only help that issue, and it also does encourage purchases for fuel efficient vehicles.

My big issue with the STIMULUS Bill was that it wouldn't have a big positive residual effect on the economy. Another words, it is severely lacking a "BANG for it's BUCK.

This Cash for Clunkers plan, does have a positive residual effect, it does address a long term green issue.

So, on the surface, it makes sense.

Here we go... damn those Unions!! Broken record.

And shouldn't the banks have been regulated better or more? Maybe they wouldn't have been in their situation.

Here we go... damn those Unions!! Broken record.

And shouldn't the banks have been regulated better or more? Maybe they wouldn't have been in their situation.

The Unions are the biggest reason that the US Auto Industry are insolvent. Even when they did sell sh*tloads of vehicles in 2006, when everyone was pulling money from their homes like ATM machines they still lost money because of their tremendous input costs.

Broken Record

:doh:

That sort of like not accepting that the world is round.

OOPS did I forget to put a lengthy B word about the waste in Unions.

My bad.

I'll keep it short.

Unions once served a purpose. But that purpose was abused by greed.

I wasn't comparing size (although in your haste to make a characteristically lame attempt at humor, you forgot to consider the 3d row seat and thus are comparing apples to oranges*). I was stating that sufficient space can be found in vehicles that are not overly large and inefficient. BUT, you do get to pay 20% more at the pump.

* duh... :doh:

Explorer:

Behind 2nd row: 5-passenger 45.1

Behind optional 3rd row: 7-passenger 13.6

Highlander:

Cargo volume (cu. ft.) behind front/middle/rear seats95.4/42.3/10.3

Lame joke? Did you own one of those little cars?

From my experience there is NOT sufficient space for the things I use my truck for!

I have owned an Explorer (actually 2) for the last 10 years.

I have 2 rows of seats that fold down for storage. OR I CAN carry up 7 passengers when not carrying cargo.

When I move my son into college I USE the entire rear portion.

That tinder box you referred to WILL NOT WORK. Nor does it have any significant TOWING capacity I would need!!!!

The Unions are the biggest reason that the US Auto Industry are insolvent. Even when they did sell sh*tloads of vehicles in 2006, when everyone was pulling money from their homes like ATM machines they still lost money because of their tremendous input costs.

Broken Record

:lol:

That sort of like not accepting that the world is round.

So much for blaming bad management or bad designs or extending car lines out to far (with bad designs). :doh: No, but you are right... it's ALL the unions fault. Damn those union members for giving back more and more and even more to help out.