Pro Football Weekly: Trent praises Schouman

JoeF

Found this insight interesting.....Nelson has a lot of developing to do with route running...Schouman may be the QB's choice. A reminder on Schouman's measurables out of College 6'2" 250lbs 4.69 40 time....

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A.../wwhi060609.htm

Edwards forming tight bond with lightly regarded veteran

By Matt Sohn

June 6, 2009

Regardless of how talented a receiver might be and regardless of how badly a coaching staff wants a certain pass catcher to step up, it doesn’t mean much if the quarterback trusts a different player more. It’s becoming increasingly clear in Buffalo that QB Trent Edwards has a greater rapport with unheralded third-year veteran Derek Schouman than with athletically gifted rookie Shawn Nelson, the player most believed would assume No. 1 TE duties in short order. “I think (Schouman) has progressed really well through these last couple practices, and I think he’s going to be a big part of our pass game,” Edwards said. “Derek (Fine) and John (Stupar) and those guys are going to need to step up, as well as Shawn. But I really am feeling more and more comfortable with Schouman.” The Bills have staged an open competition at tight end since releasing the disappointing Robert Royal following the 2008 season.

Ms. to Mr. Sohn: Nelson's absence this week, as well as the fact that Schouman and Edwards have been playing catch for three years now, might just have something to do with their "greater rapport."

Just sayin'.

Ms. to Mr. Sohn: Nelson's absence this week, as well as the fact that Schouman and Edwards have been playing catch for three years now, might just have something to do with their "greater rapport."

Just sayin'.

True Dat Ms. Lori.

But if Trent can develop the same type of faith he has in Josh Reed with one of the TE's -- I think it could be a very good thing. The middle of the field is going to be a good place to roam this year for the receivers with Lee and TO grabbing lots of attention on the outsides.

Its all a pipe dream however if we are forced to keep the TE into pass block. In that case we might as well use Kirk Chambers as the TE..... :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787

Shawn Nelson is a WR in a TE's body, once he gets up to NFL speed there will be no holding him back in my opinion. I'm really excited about watching Nelson develop.

With that being said, I'm also excited about Fine and Schouman stepping up this year which allows Nelson the time to develop properly.

This can only be good news, but I'm still expecting Fine to eventually emerge as the #1. Neither Schouman nor Nelson are much of a blocker right now, and I think Fine has a shot to be decent in both areas. While Nelson spends the year getting his bearings, the vets will get a lot of snaps.

Shawn Nelson is a WR in a TE's body, once he gets up to NFL speed there will be no holding him back in my opinion. I'm really excited about watching Nelson develop.

With that being said, I'm also excited about Fine and Schouman stepping up this year which allows Nelson the time to develop properly.

Expect Nelson to get up to speed sometime in 2010 or 2011. Seriously. Remember how excited many were about Hardy on these boards. Over and over we heard "If Hardy only gets 300 - 600 yards and 4 - 6 TDs, he will have had a good first year." And look how well that worked out.

We got Nelson as a fourth-rounder. That should tell you how far up our list of priorities he was. It's great that he was still there, but the Bills like TEs who can block and catch, and Nelson isn't there yet as a blocker, though he looks like he actually is willing to try, unlike most "we can teach him to block" guys.

It's just IMHO (heck, anything about Nelson from anybody on these boards is just IMHO) but expect Hardy-type numbers in his first year, and if down the line he learns to block so we can use him regularly in ordinary personnel groupings, who knows, maybe he can turn out to be a great find.

This is a crucial year for Schoumann. If he doesn't get far in his third year, you can pretty much bet that he will have topped out his potential. Hope things work out well for him.

That's a big improvement over Royal, who was more of a retarded walrus in a TE's body.

Just sayin'.

As usual, you've also nailed it.

They've only had 12 OTA practices (even fewer with Trent in attendance) and this jamoke thinks that Nelson's rapport with his QB is lagging Schouman's? Brilliant!