Where the Bills are Still the Weakest .....

After looking over the Bills from top to bottom, I believe the Bills biggest weakness is the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator.

The front office did a pretty good job in free agency working within the cap. The draft, I believe was pretty damn good.

It is a pity things did not work out better with Peters, but I really question if it ever would, for he wanted out. He did not believe he was treated fairly. The Bills came out of it pretty good.

The Bills are going into next season with a special teams unit ranked last year as #1... Coach April would make a great head coach. Put that in your memory bank if things go sour this year especially around the bye...

The defense was ranked 14th best and with the changes made in the front office and players retuning from injury the defense should improve to around 10th to 12th best over all.

The offensive line last year stunk. Few holes and lanes were opened to Lynch and Jackson. They seem to get most of the yardage on the ground by themselves. The line is better with better talent but oh my god the growing pains. It will take a few weeks for them to gell. But the talent is there where it was not last year. We have a improved receiving corp with strong runners and a very youthfull O-Line. Can Edwards and Turk make it work? Won't know till they try.

Brings us to the weakest part of the team where there were no improvements made last year.... god help us I hope they improve. Can they make the playoffs........??? Don't know.... Will they be a exciting team to watch...??? Hell Yes...

I don't want to miss a game, but I will bring my crying towel with me when I am watching... I will share if you are sitting next to me.

The offensive line is going to be a mess. As bad as the run blocking was last year, I suspect it will be worse this year. And the pass protection will be worse, much worse. Let's hope the rookies in Wood and Levitre show same flashes otherwise things will be depressing.

The offensive line is going to be a mess. As bad as the run blocking was last year, I suspect it will be worse this year. And the pass protection will be worse, much worse. Let's hope the rookies in Wood and Levitre show same flashes otherwise things will be depressing.

You're underestimating how terrible our line was last year. Peters & Dockery allowed 20.5 sacks between them. We were one of the worst at converting 3 and shorts in the league. Our line may now be as "talented" on paper, but I would bet money that they will be improved over last year's group.

You're underestimating how terrible our line was last year. Peters & Dockery allowed 20.5 sacks between them. We were one of the worst at converting 3 and shorts in the league. Our line may now be as "talented" on paper, but I would bet money that they will be improved over last year's group.

ya our o-line was down right terribel. Our joke of a center (no matter who is was) got pushed back almost everytime. So the o-line is still a question mark, but it cant really be worse than lasts year, could it? I hope not!

I'd say LOPR like others have pointed out, WLB, and #2 DT to go along with Stroud. We definitely need guys to get to the QB. It was flat out horrible last year when Schobel went down. Hopefully his presence on one side will atleast help the rest of the front be able to get more pressure with the focus he will command along with Stroud. If Maybin can get 6-8 sacks this year I'll be ecstatic. Hopefully Denney and Kelsay can combine for 6-8 more with Schobel being back with 10+. Our defense would likely be top 5 if these guys can harass and get to the QB at this clip. I think we could POSSIBLY have the answer to the WLB problem already in Bowen, Thomas, or Nic Harris, but it would've been nice to see Tino sign with the Bills. Ellison is nothing more than average on his best days. About the DT spot, Williams is alright and McCargo still has potential, but it sure would be nice to have Henderson <_<

I hear you all, but, our defense, as bad as it was at times last year, kept us in some games. It was our offense that hindered our advancement. Despite the changes made on the O-line, I believe it will be a better running line, especially in short yardage situations. Our success this year depends on three things - other than the myriad number of givens -

1. O-line 2. D-line 3. Trent Edwards. If our O-line gives us something like Kurt Warner had last year in pass protection, Trent should have enough time to get the ball out. If it gives us a good run game, he should be even that much better off. And, if our D. can stop the run, then we'll be much, much improved over last year. Unfortunately, it looks like the last one will be the hardest to manage, because we've done nothing to change that - unless our new D-line coach can turn the group around; maybe McCargo can become a game changer? I'd be willing to bet our offense finally gets out of the gutter this year; we simply have too many weapons for it not to. There is enough to hope for, enough positives, to tune in and take a wait and see approach.

ya our o-line was down right terribel. Our joke of a center (no matter who is was) got pushed back almost everytime. So the o-line is still a question mark, but it cant really be worse than lasts year, could it? I hope not!

It could absolutely, positively get worse.

But don't let that slow the trumpeting of slogans that starting over from scratch is "an upgrade."

I could absolutely, positively get worse.

But don't let that slow the trumpeting of slogans that starting over from scratch is "an upgrade."

Contrary to the majority of posters opinions, the OL the last 2 years has been the most effective since 1995.

The pass blocking was good enough to give the QBs time to make plays. People have short memories and forget about the absolute horrible play in past years where the Qbs were constantly running for their lives.

on one hand they claim the 2008 OL to be the worst ever, yet the offensive production in 2008 was the better than recent memory

With a slug at LT and 2 untested rookies on the interior, DCs will have multiple areas to exploit. Expecting all of the OL to perform flawlessly is just silly.

Things could ugly very quickly if an early season breakdown results in a big hit on Trent which knocks him out or turns him gun shy.

I think it is offensive coordinator.

Other than that, linebacker. Keith Ellison and Kawika mitchell arent players you want to go to the super bowl with, although the giants won with mitchell. Mcgee had a poor season last year.

I agree with spartacus, our pass blocking for the last couple years was excellent. But the patterns we were running didnt make sense, our formation gave away that it was a pass, and the receivers and qb werent on the same page.

I hear you all, but, our defense, as bad as it was at times last year, kept us in some games. It was our offense that hindered our advancement. Despite the changes made on the O-line, I believe it will be a better running line, especially in short yardage situations. Our success this year depends on three things - other than the myriad number of givens -

1. O-line 2. D-line 3. Trent Edwards. If our O-line gives us something like Kurt Warner had last year in pass protection, Trent should have enough time to get the ball out. If it gives us a good run game, he should be even that much better off. And, if our D. can stop the run, then we'll be much, much improved over last year. Unfortunately, it looks like the last one will be the hardest to manage, because we've done nothing to change that - unless our new D-line coach can turn the group around; maybe McCargo can become a game changer? I'd be willing to bet our offense finally gets out of the gutter this year; we simply have too many weapons for it not to. There is enough to hope for, enough positives, to tune in and take a wait and see approach.

The D wasn't that bad all the time but it did not sack the QB or cause turnovers. Many times it gave up long drives near the end of games when we needed the ball back. It is not a very aggressive defense. They sit back way too often.

Contrary to the majority of posters opinions, the OL the last 2 years has been the most effective since 1995.
Pretty much sums it up.
The pass blocking was good enough to give the QBs time to make plays. People have short memories and forget about the absolute horrible play in past years where the Qbs were constantly running for their lives.

on one hand they claim the 2008 OL to be the worst ever, yet the offensive production in 2008 was the better than recent memory

Gotta like the way some posters connect the dots. :wallbash:
With a slug at LT and 2 untested rookies on the interior, DCs will have multiple areas to exploit. Expecting all of the OL to perform flawlessly is just silly.

Things could ugly very quickly if an early season breakdown results in a big hit on Trent which knocks him out or turns him gun shy.

He's already prone to make a pre-snap read and get rid of the ball before anything can develop. With a new line and new receivers, the window gets smaller. So, the practical thing to do is to run the hurry-up offense, of course. <_<

I'll agree the offensive line wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. However, the long stretch of "poor offensive line play" had more to do with the inability of the QB's to make decisions as opposed to the play of the line. Johnson, Losman and even Bledsoe all had a confidence issue, I like to call "Rob Johnson Syndrome". Once a QB acquires RJS, the whole offense suffers and the line looks bad. Case in point - the late 90's Bills. Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie played behind the same offensive line during a 3 year stretch, during which Johnson was the most sacked per dropback QB in the league and Flutie was one of the least. In addition, the RB's averaged a whole ypc higher with Flutie at QB as opposed to Johnson. Note there are comparative statistics with Losman and Edwards, although no where near as pronounced. Often times what appears to be ineptitude of the offensive line stems from other problems with the offense.

In my opinion (and most 'Pros" on NFL Network, ESPN, etc.) is the Offensive Line which unless it pulls off the surprise of the decade, will be one of the worst in the NFL and eventually this young and talented teams demise. The O-Line was pretty bad last year, they have lost two starters and haven't replaced them, so the writing is on the wall there. There are other weaknesses, Pass Rush, Tight End play, etc., but they aren't expected to be quite as dismal as the O-Line. Sure we have a weakness at Head Coach, but when gameday comes around, Jauron doesn't suit up and play, the players have to get it done, bottom line. If Trent Edwards improves on last season, it will be great, but if he doesn't, add that to the list of major weaknesses.

I'll agree the offensive line wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. However, the long stretch of "poor offensive line play" had more to do with the inability of the QB's to make decisions as opposed to the play of the line. Johnson, Losman and even Bledsoe all had a confidence issue, I like to call "Rob Johnson Syndrome". Once a QB acquires RJS, the whole offense suffers and the line looks bad. Case in point - the late 90's Bills. Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie played behind the same offensive line during a 3 year stretch, during which Johnson was the most sacked per dropback QB in the league and Flutie was one of the least. In addition, the RB's averaged a whole ypc higher with Flutie at QB as opposed to Johnson. Note there are comparative statistics with Losman and Edwards, although no where near as pronounced. Often times what appears to be ineptitude of the offensive line stems from other problems with the offense.

Flutie didn't make the line any better. There were still plenty of jailbreaks when Flutie was in there, but he was just truly gifted at avoiding the rush and turning broken plays into non-negative plays. Johnson and Losman had the opposite talent -- turning plays that should've just went for naught into complete disasters. Last year's line wasn't great (the C position was bad), but it was relatively better as it didn't require a greased, over-clocked magician at QB to make any sort of play at all.

O-line is a HUGE risk. There is no reason to believe they will be good. Two rookies and players who weren't good at their regular positions being shifted to different positions. Offensive lines need experience working together and this group just doesn't have ANY. That being said, surprises do happen and maybe its our turn for a good surprise.

In 2007, the offensive line often pass protected well, but did a lousy job at run blocking. I felt the line took a major step backward in 2008. One of the most obvious examples was Peters; who was mediocre at pass protection in 2008, but good (and sometimes dominant) at run blocking. In 2007, he'd been very good or dominant in both areas. Derrick Dockery underachieved in 2008. Losing Brad Butler to injury for a few games didn't do us any favors.

In some of the games the Bills had early in the 2008 season, the offensive line did literally nothing for the first half or three quarters. No pass protection, no run blocking. Then somewhere in the middle of the third quarter, the line would come alive, and look dominant for the last 20 minutes of the game. Edwards would use the good pass protection to lead a dramatic comeback against some team the Bills should have dominated to begin with. Unfortunately, those moments of ineptness didn't go away as the season went on. Later in the season, the line would go for very long stretches--sometimes even whole games--in which it achieved next to nothing. Then the next week it might have a game in which it looked pretty good. Of course, it's easy to look good when the defense is rushing three, and dropping eight back into coverage.

I think the Bills significantly upgraded the interior of their OL over the long haul. Whether that translates into an upgrade for the 2009 season, however, is another story entirely. And even if Levitre and Wood turn in very strong rookie year performances, there's no telling how Walker and Butler will perform at their new positions. I'm particularly uncomfortable with the idea of Walker as a LT.

Flutie didn't make the line any better. There were still plenty of jailbreaks when Flutie was in there, but he was just truly gifted at avoiding the rush and turning broken plays into non-negative plays. Johnson and Losman had the opposite talent -- turning plays that should've just went for naught into complete disasters. Last year's line wasn't great (the C position was bad), but it was relatively better as it didn't require a greased, over-clocked magician at QB to make any sort of play at all.

I don't think jailbreaks can ever be avoided, no matter how good the line is. Good QB's will either hit the hot reads, throw it away or, at worst, step up in the pocket to minimize the damage. Bad QB's will drop back further and turn a 5 yd sack into a 10 yd sack with a potential fumble or even better a pick 6.