Unbelievable old school Bills footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axaBG4t-gJs

This is from the old Sports Illustrated "NFL TV Follies" tape with Jonathan Winters. I think it came out around the same time as the football phone (which I also owned). Watch beginning around 2:50- if the touchdown pass from Kelly to Metzelaars (Jim Kelly's first game as a Bill- I was there at the age of 7) doesn't send chills down your spine, then you have no soul.

P.S. how sick is it that the Bills used to wear their whites at home?

This is from the old Sports Illustrated "NFL TV Follies" tape with Jonathan Winters. I think it came out around the same time as the football phone (which I also owned). Watch beginnaing around 2:50- if the touchdown pass from Kelly to Metzelaars (Jim Kelly's first game as a Bill- I was there at the age of 7) doesn't send chills down your spine, then you have no soul.

If that's old school, I need to be carbon-dated for an accurate accounting of my age.

GO BILLS!!!

If that's old school, I need to be carbon-dated for an accurate accounting of my age.

GO BILLS!!!

Fair enough- I thought about that after I posted this. I guess it's all relative, but for me at 30, I consider old school through about 1986, maybe 1987. I gotta consider a Bills team with Jerry Butler old school. Sorry about that man.

Fair enough- I thought about that after I posted this. I guess it's all relative, but for me at 30, I consider old school through about 1986, maybe 1987. I gotta consider a Bills team with Jerry Butler old school. Sorry about that man.

It's all good. I remember going to games when I was 7 as well. I forgot to say thanks for the link, BTW.

GO BILLS!!!

Why appologize for your age? You went to your first Bills game two years before I went to mine, at 9 years old. Just because that game was played in War Memorial Stadium in 1968, doesn't mean you are any less of a die hard Bills fan at 30 then I am at 50. I'm sure there are some 70 year old Bills fans who consider old school the Buffalo Bills of the All American Football League of the 1940's. That old league brought the NFL the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts and San Francisco 49ers. Plus, the Bills of that day just missed out on that NFL expansion, or so I heard. Think about that. The Buffalo Bills could have been in the National Football League for 10 years before the old AFL even started, if they were brought in instead of the Colts or Browns!

Bills mania has no age requirements. :thumbsup::devil:

Why appologize for your age? You went to your first Bills game two years before I went to mine, at 9 years old. Just because that game was played in War Memorial Stadium in 1968, doesn't mean you are any less of a die hard Bills fan at 30 then I am at 50. I'm sure there are some 70 year old Bills fans who consider old school the Buffalo Bills of the All American Football League of the 1940's. That old league brought the NFL the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts and San Francisco 49ers. Plus, the Bills of that day just missed out on that NFL expansion, or so I heard. Think about that. The Buffalo Bills could have been in the National Football League for 10 years before the old AFL even started, if they were brought in instead of the Colts or Browns!

Bills mania has no age requirements. :thumbsup::devil:

I wasn't apologizing for my age, I was apologizing for making K-9 feel old! Incidentally, my first Bills game was opening day 1985 vs. San Diego- Bills lost in the drizzling rain. Either way, there is a lot of love in Bills Nation, I hear ya man!

This is from the old Sports Illustrated "NFL TV Follies" tape with Jonathan Winters. I think it came out around the same time as the football phone (which I also owned). Watch beginning around 2:50- if the touchdown pass from Kelly to Metzelaars (Jim Kelly's first game as a Bill- I was there at the age of 7) doesn't send chills down your spine, then you have no soul.

P.S. how sick is it that the Bills used to wear their whites at home?

I was at that game also. At the time, I lived in Atlanta (still do). Me and my Bills buddy drove up for the game, stayed the entire week visiting with friends and family, then, the following Sunday left early for Atlanta - BUT, the Bills were playing in Cincinatti in week 2. Cinci is exactly the halfway point between Buffalo and Atlanta. We drove the 6½-7 hours from Buffalo to Cinci, watched the Bills lose (again), got in the wagon after the game, and drove the rest of the way to Atlanta. A long day for sure. How many people (fans) do you know outside of the press that saw Kelly's first 2 games in person?

Side note: went to game opener in 2009, as I usually do. Went with childhood friend of about 40 years (also with me at the '86 game and several others). His father was a classmate in art school with Jonathan Winters. The weather forecast for the the 2009 opener called for a perfect day, with rain moving in later in the day. Naturally, we ditched the rain gear. Needless to say, we all got soaked. Where's Tom Jolls when you need him. My friend caught pnemonia. May have contributed to his demise 2 months later. That was his last game ever. Both Winters and his father are still living.

I remember that game like it was yesterday and that play specifically. While we lost the game, that play was the moment I was convinced that Jim Kelly was for real and started to have hope. If I'm not mistaken that was the game where the referee threw the flag on Joe Klecko for giving Jim Kelly "the business down there".

My other memory from that day was running into Will Wolford in a bar downtown afterwards and thinking he was the biggest, most well built guy I'd ever seen. It was his first start and playing against the Jets was no easy task. He was a little upset that he didn't play better... When he slapped me on the back - laughing at some inane comment I made - he almost knocked me through the wall.

Another era where it was not unusual to see the Bills players out and about - probably before they were all afraid of getting harassed or sued (or in some cases harassed and sued).

Yeah, that's about right. Jerry Butler, Robb Riddick...

I was at that game also. At the time, I lived in Atlanta (still do). Me and my Bills buddy drove up for the game, stayed the entire week visiting with friends and family, then, the following Sunday left early for Atlanta - BUT, the Bills were playing in Cincinatti in week 2. Cinci is exactly the halfway point between Buffalo and Atlanta. We drove the 6½-7 hours from Buffalo to Cinci, watched the Bills lose (again), got in the wagon after the game, and drove the rest of the way to Atlanta. A long day for sure. How many people (fans) do you know outside of the press that saw Kelly's first 2 games in person?

Side note: went to game opener in 2009, as I usually do. Went with childhood friend of about 40 years (also with me at the '86 game and several others). His father was a classmate in art school with Jonathan Winters. The weather forecast for the the 2009 opener called for a perfect day, with rain moving in later in the day. Naturally, we ditched the rain gear. Needless to say, we all got soaked. Where's Tom Jolls when you need him. My friend caught pnemonia. May have contributed to his demise 2 months later. That was his last game ever. Both Winters and his father are still living.

I sure hope you mean 2008 or I have more problems then I thought.

The fumble on the goaline that PM just happens to grab for a TD against Cincy was also cool!

How about the beautiful TD pass from Bruce Mathison to rookie Andre Reed in 1985 in front of about 500 people at Rich with the giant Marlboro man looking on...

Are those the Bills playing Tampa Bay at the 1:02 mark? I can't read the names on the jerseys or see the insignias on the helmets, but 56 looks like Talley.

I couldn't tell what team that was either. Possibly Denver?

I was at that first Kelly game, man the place was electric! There were quite a few Bills highlights in there, and for the most part they weren't that bad. We had some things actually go our way in most of them.

I was really digging the official picking off Marino to end it....just the way all Fish games should end <_<

I'm sure there are some 70 year old Bills fans who consider old school the Buffalo Bills of the All American Football League of the 1940's. That old league brought the NFL the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts and San Francisco 49ers. Plus, the Bills of that day just missed out on that NFL expansion, or so I heard. Think about that. The Buffalo Bills could have been in the National Football League for 10 years before the old AFL even started, if they were brought in instead of the Colts or Browns!

Who you calling old? <_<

The Bills had a decent shot at getting in the NFL in 1950, but were screwed.

Just a little history lesson for the kiddies: The Baltimore Colts that came into the league in 1950 were not the same Baltimore Colts that started in 1953 (the current Indianapolis Colts). It was not even the same lineage. I will cover that lineage in the Indianapolis Colts Historical Game of the Week this season.