Currently 16 DBs On Roster/Depth Chart

San-O

The Bills have 16 on the depth chart that I see on Bills Daily.

They kept 10 - 11 that I can determine last year.

Having drafted four (4) DBs with one being a 2nd round pick, who are they going to let go?

Understanding that the depth chart will change before the season, who do they dump, John

Wendling, George Wilson, John Fox? They are likely going to need to cut 2 or 3 of the DBs they just

drafted, which makes the incessant and unyielding drafting of DBs even more confusing to me.

If you're going to have a love affair every year with the new crop of DB's, at least draft someone that

might possibly make the team. These guys (the F.O.,D.J.) collect DBs like my kids used to collect video games.

http://billsdaily.com/depthchart/

P.S. I know, the Bills don't draft any more Dbs than anyone else. :thumbsup:

Terrence McGee

Bryan Scott

Donte Whitner

Leodis McKelvin

Drayton Florence

John Wendling

Jairus Byrd

Ashton Youboty

George Wilson

Reggie Corner

Cary Harris

That is what you will probably see. However, simpson may make the team, and if he does, i bet they keep 12. And guess what? All 11 or 12 will contribute in some shape or form.

But honestly, who the heck enters OTAs with more DBs than you can keep?

Yeah good call. Obviously DB is the only position where the Bills currently have more players than we can keep. Why even bother with the 80 man roster in the offseason? Lets just keep it at 53 year round.

I feel bad for the guys drafted in 6th and 7th round, they HAVE to be on the bills, but have very little chance to make the team. Whereas they could be showcasing their skills somewhere that is not so saturated, here they are, thanking DJ just like the rest of us.

Per NFLN, at the Owners meeting, they are currently talking about increasing the roster size in anticipation of 1 or 2 more regular season games soon. Also discussing doing away with 'inactives' due to wear and tear of more plays/games.

It appears inevitable -maybe even next year- this will come to pass and the number of healthy DB's will likely be key to late season success.

Terrence McGee

Leodis McKelvin

Drayton Florence

Ashton Youboty

Reggie Corner

Donte Whitner

Bryan Scott

John Wendling (only because of his ST play)

Jairus Bryd

George Wilson

PS:

Cary Harris

Gone:

Ko Simpson

Dustin Fox

Ellis Lankster (could go to PS)

Lydell Sargent

Kyle Ward

Gone:

Ko Simpson

Dustin Fox

Lydell Sargent

Kyle Ward

Interesting: Simpson seems to be the odd man out. I can see that.

Just about every good team in the NFL.

The best teams are as much about depth as they are about a few (or even one in our publicity restricted little minds) stars who lead the team.

Competition is good and injuries are simply a way of life in the NFL. The team is likely doing things the right way when there is for every single unit a demonstrable Pro Bowl level star leading the unit but also real competition between the last guy making the team for a particular unit and the last guy cut from that unit.

In the end it is usually ST skill which will make the determination as to who is the last guy on a unit who stays and who is the last guy cut from a unit.

The two problems for the Bills is that too often we have not imitated what we have right now at DB for other units and also that the few true stars were really not Pro quality players.

But as far as the question of whether there are too many DBs, particularly given the import of solid ST play to this team and in the NFL it is just as legit a question to ask whether there are too few.

The Bills have 16 on the depth chart that I see on Bills Daily.

They kept 10 - 11 that I can determine last year.

Having drafted four (4) DBs with one being a 2nd round pick, who are they going to let go?

Understanding that the depth chart will change before the season, who do they dump, John

Wendling, George Wilson, John Fox? They are likely going to need to cut 2 or 3 of the DBs they just

drafted, which makes the incessant and unyielding drafting of DBs even more confusing to me.

If you're going to have a love affair every year with the new crop of DB's, at least draft someone that

might possibly make the team. These guys (the F.O.,D.J.) collect DBs like my kids used to collect video games.

http://billsdaily.com/depthchart/

P.S. I know, the Bills don't draft any more Dbs than anyone else. :thumbsup:

So, would you have felt better if we had drafted that tackle - Joel Bell in the 7th or 6th round and then signed a DB as an undrafted FA?

In all probability neither of the two guys we drafted are going to make the team. The only reason they drafted them is because they liked them and knew if they had a choice to sign after the draft, they wouldn't sign with us because we have so many already. The team gets an up close looka t two players they liked and I think you'd have a hard time trying to tell me that there is a real difference between an undrafted guy and a 6th or 7th round pick. this is what happens when you start to have a team with decent depth: your latter round choices are going to the practice squad. It's a good thing.

To answer your question though, the following will make the team:

McKelvin

McGee

Corner

Youboty

Florence

Whitner

Scott

Byrd

Wilson

Wendling

Simpson/Lankster/Harris/7th wide receiver

I know someone mentioned it but there are 80 players on the roster right now and they are not keeping all of them. So every team enters OTAs with more players than they will keep.

Terrence McGee

Leodis McKelvin

Drayton Florence

Ashton Youboty

Reggie Corner

Donte Whitner

Bryan Scott

John Wendling (only because of his ST play)

Jairus Bryd

George Wilson

PS:

Cary Harris

Gone:

Ko Simpson

Dustin Fox

Lydell Sargent

Kyle Ward

:thumbsup: I think you hit the nail on the head. Simpson has been underachieving from day one. I know some of it had to due to injury. His latest brush with the law, and his injuries/lack of production, make him very expendable.

Plus Byrd will be a starter from day one. Barring an injury.

True...but when ya draft 3 or 4 of them, one has to wonder.

I can see it 2 ways. As a player, you're almost better off signing as an UDFA rather than being drafted in round 7. That way you can choose the best situation for yourself to see the field. As a team, you grab the players you want. If there are 2-3 players that you want in round 7 that you could probably sign as UDFAs, you pick the player least likely to sign with you on the open market.

Given our roster makeup, Ellis Lankster would be likely to sign elsewhere as an UDFA, where the odds of Joel Bell signing as an UDFA are much better, given our current OT situation.