NFL team doctors

Any interesting article by Ross Tucker on Javon Walker and his surgery. I think it brings to light much on medical care in NFL.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...lker/index.html

Many veteran players feel the qualifications to become a team doctor are questionable because they suspect a lot of the hires are based upon the amount of money the orthopedic surgeon or orthopedic group offers to pay the team to be its "official" health care solution. Just as important, the team doctor, by definition, works for the team and is beholden to its interests, which aren't always aligned with a players's interests.

Because of these conflicts of interest, players like to consult with someone else should a health issue arise. This often takes the form of an official second opinion, an option that has been collectively bargained and requires the club to pay for the expenses surrounding a player's visit. In return, a copy of the report is provided to the club.

The underlined section appears representative of the NFL Owner / Player relationship - they do not trust each other and business partners which do not trust each other have rocky relationships. Ross Tucker played in NFL for multiple teams and perhaps you remember he continued playing for Bills with a back injury because he said the team needed him. Unfortunately because he waited until off-season for surgery he was not up to full strength and was cut in camp; if he had surgery later his chances of making roster was probably better.

Regarding Tucker's situation I do not remember if he consulted an outside doctor or if the doctor who performed surgery was team doctor but if so the results may contribute to his statement that "many" veteran players distrust motive of team and money involved in becoming team doctor. I have never heard that doctors pay teams to be official team medical provider believing that teams paid doctors for care but it could be both - doctors pay a fee to be official team provider and teams pay doctors for work done.

Regarding the section in red it seems similar to real estate agents except the doctor is subject to Hypocrites Oath and more importantly medical boards often composed of rival doctors. I do not think the doctors would recommend postponing vital medical care but I do think there is enough self interest to be less concerned about the players' long term career. I personally have seen doctors use testing companies outside of insurance plans which cost more in which they happen to have financial interests.

The section in blue seems to substantiate that NFL Players Union like with everything in NFL distrusts everything except their lawyers and agents with many of them not having the players best interest often ripping them off.

Team physicians are mainly used for game day, on the sidelines medical care. It is rare for a team physician to be the person performing major surgey on an elite (NFL) athlete. These athletes routinely seek second opinions regarding surgery.

Surgeons don't pay to be team doctors, despite that veterans may "suspect" that they do. Ross could have looked into that before he sent this story in.

Walker violated his contract--that's the story here.

Another clunker by Ross Tucker.

Having just recently watched "Any Given Sunday" for like the 30th time. This reminds me a lot of Lawrance Taylor's "Shark" character. That Players and doctors/teams both have their own agendas.

The team sounds as they will look out for the player most of the time unless there is big money to be made, or playoff complications. At the same time im sure the players would be happy to prolong surgery or play through possible injury if it means them getting into one last game of the season to hit their incentives and make more money.

If you havent seen the movie I recomend watching it. It to me seems like a very realistic comparison to real life NFL. Maybe a little bit blown out of proportion, but prolly the best comparison your going to see.

That's very interesting and not the least bit surprising. Kind of like those MDs that worked for the big tobacco companies who would go on TV every now and then and say things like "there have never been ANY conclusive scientific studies linking cigarette smoking to lung cancer in humans."

The players have to look out for themselves and just as we should get a second and sometimes third medical opinion so should they. It's a clear conflict of interests between team doctors and players. I think back to the Kenny Easley case. But it was going on long before he got into the league. "North Dallas Forty" wasn't too far off the mark.

GO BILLS!!!