Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

We'll see if Mortensen steps onto the field again.

Hey, looks like your single-bar facemask story is up, Tim. Neat read. Was that a natural progression from the AFL anniversary stuff, or did you come at it from a different direction?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-151...single-bar.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point - to me it's a Catch 22: if Harrell does real well in the CFL, then comes the the NFL and dominates like Moon did, I'll be saying (in my best Bob Lobel), "Now why can't the Bills get players like that?"

Excellent.

In the meantime there is virtually no chance of him helping an NFL team this year. Should the Bills bring him in for a look? Sure, why not. I'm fine if they don't, too.

We'll see if Mortensen steps onto the field again.

Hey, looks like your single-bar facemask story is up, Tim. Neat read. Was that a natural progression from the AFL anniversary stuff, or did you come at it from a different direction?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-151...single-bar.html

That was a fun story to write, and it came to be in a weird way.

I actually wrote it a year ago for the Palm Beach Post, but it never ran because they waited for a good spot to run it last summer and then I left for ESPN. The paper became uncomfortable about printing a story by a writer who was employed somewhere else, so they returned it to me to use as I wished.

I'd forgotten about it until recently and was inspired by the Hall of Fame. So I updated it with a call to Scott Player (I'd been unable to reach him when I wrote it the first time) and another call to the NFL for an official ruling on the helmet. I rewrote the first third of it to include the Hall of Fame scene, but this probably should be considered the last story I ever wrote for a newspaper. This is a reminder that I was a much better writer then ...

That was a fun story to write, and it came to be in a weird way.

I actually wrote it a year ago for the Palm Beach Post, but it never ran because they waited for a good spot to run it last summer and then I left for ESPN. The paper became uncomfortable about printing a story by a writer who was employed somewhere else, so they returned it to me to use as I wished.

I'd forgotten about it until recently and was inspired by the Hall of Fame. So I updated it with a call to Scott Player (I'd been unable to reach him when I wrote it the first time) and another call to the NFL for an official ruling on the helmet. I rewrote the first third of it to include the Hall of Fame scene, but this probably should be considered the last story I ever wrote for a newspaper. This is a reminder that I was a much better writer then ...

Very good and funny article Tim. I heard your interview on 1050 ESPN radio (I live in New Jersey) and you mentioned how Bills fans were about to revolt when DJ was retained yet when they signed TO they tempered their anger. Do you feel that if the Bills go 8-8 this season and they keep DJ but TO leaves do you see a big signing again to try and keep the fans from canceling season ticket orders?

Very good and funny article Tim. I heard your interview on 1050 ESPN radio (I live in New Jersey) and you mentioned how Bills fans were about to revolt when DJ was retained yet when they signed TO they tempered their anger. Do you feel that if the Bills go 8-8 this season and they keep DJ but TO leaves do you see a big signing again to try and keep the fans from canceling season ticket orders?

Great photo, wnyjazz. My personal favorite is Don Maynard, with the muttonchops visible.

As for the 8-8 scenario billsfan89 poses, a gimmick to keep fans interested isn't a new concept at One Bills Drive. Using Doug Flutie, for example. Tom Donahoe made splashes such as Drew Bledsoe and the Willis McGahee pick. Of course, none of those were as big as T.O.

But I think if the Bills go 8-8, you still could justify Jauron's return as long as they remain competitive and don't fall out of the playoff hunt by November. In fact, they could go 7-9 and be a much better team than they've been in years.

Great photo, wnyjazz. My personal favorite is Don Maynard, with the muttonchops visible.

As for the 8-8 scenario billsfan89 poses, a gimmick to keep fans interested isn't a new concept at One Bills Drive. Using Doug Flutie, for example. Tom Donahoe made splashes such as Drew Bledsoe and the Willis McGahee pick. Of course, none of those were as big as T.O.

But I think if the Bills go 8-8, you still could justify Jauron's return as long as they remain competitive and don't fall out of the playoff hunt by November. In fact, they could go 7-9 and be a much better team than they've been in years.

Someone call Lori to hold me back, because I am going to kill him.

<_<

Someone call Lori to hold me back, because I am going to kill him.

<_<

Booster, I was thinking, "What a crappy thing to say, right before I go to bed. Now I have to think of THAT while I fall asleep?"

Tim, that was cruel, man. Very very cruel.

<_<

Follow up question if the Bills go 7-9 and TO leaves and the fans are left wanting Jauron's head do you think that instead of going with a player to generate intrest they could go with a coach instead. Either Gruden or Marty Schotenheimer (I doubt anyone bigger would either want to come here or Ralph would want to shell out the cash to bring in a Cower like guy).

Next year could be an uncapped year and unless you make a trade (In a year when draft picks are going to come at a premium due to no cap) its going to be hard to make a gimmick splash in free agency. So could a new head coach be the way they go.

Russ is a marketing guy and he has to be aware of the fans dislike of Jauron so if the Bills go a decade without the playoffs and doesn't look like a free agent who could make the splash of TO (I am not familiar with who is a free agent next year but I doubt Ralph is going to shell out the cash to bring anyone in) so could the coach be the sacrificial lamb to appease the fan base? I doubt a draft pick with Jauron still in charge could regenerate interest in the team.

Follow up question if the Bills go 7-9 and TO leaves and the fans are left wanting Jauron's head do you think that instead of going with a player to generate intrest they could go with a coach instead. Either Gruden or Marty Schotenheimer (I doubt anyone bigger would either want to come here or Ralph would want to shell out the cash to bring in a Cower like guy).

Next year could be an uncapped year and unless you make a trade (In a year when draft picks are going to come at a premium due to no cap) its going to be hard to make a gimmick splash in free agency. So could a new head coach be the way they go.

Russ is a marketing guy and he has to be aware of the fans dislike of Jauron so if the Bills go a decade without the playoffs and doesn't look like a free agent who could make the splash of TO (I am not familiar with who is a free agent next year but I doubt Ralph is going to shell out the cash to bring anyone in) so could the coach be the sacrificial lamb to appease the fan base? I doubt a draft pick with Jauron still in charge could regenerate interest in the team.

All I can say is the next time the Bills invest a lot of money in a big-name head coach will be the first time.

That might be more shocking than signing T.O. for one year.

All I can say is the next time the Bills invest a lot of money in a big-name head coach will be the first time.

Yes, I'm replying to myself ...

Another member sent me a note to remind me of Chuck Knox. He does qualify as a head coach with a fine track record before coming to Buffalo.

Tim, I'm not sure if you'll take hockey questions anymore, but I just wanted your take on the Mike Grier signing. A poster put up your article from the News in 2006 when he had signed with San Jose, which was interesting to read considering how things have shaped up the past 3 years.

Any chance this is predicated on a trade of some sort? Stafford is yet still unsigned and we'll have 16 forwards, by my count, that have clocked some NHL playing time when he inks his deal.

Thanks in advance.

Along the same vein as T.O., which big-name coach could you see making himself available and not get the reception he was expecting? I think a dozen teams would beat down the door for Cowher, but I think Shanahan may be a little shocked and very disappointed when he isn't the hot commodity he thought he would be. Thoughts?