Andre Smith

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, remember we got Cornelius Bennett because Indy only offered him a 4yr contract & we offered 5yr contract. The other reason we got him because at the time there were no direct flight offered by the airlines from his home in Alabama to Indianapolis. Luckily, there were direct flights at the time from Birmingham to Buffalo. That gave us exclusive rights to deal for his rights. Once it got approved by the league, CB was ours.

That is why I get aggravated when people say Polian was a good GM. He made some decent trades but circumstances just went our way back then.

That's not true...right?

Not too many wanted to trade up. But if he had fallen to #11, I suspect we would have been all over the guy.

OBD said over and over again that they didn't want to OVERVALUE a guy just because he was an LT and we needed one. They never said they weren't going to pick one if the value was right. Smith at #11 would have been very right, IMHO.

Well, I'm glad he didn't fall then. I wouldn't draft the guy in the 3rd rd.

I agree that the Bills SHOULD not have picked Smith at 11, but to say they COULD not is incorrect. A player can be re-drafted within the same round and if so, he is treated like a franchise player in that round. If the Bills had picked Smith, Cincy could have matched the Bills offer or the Bills would have had to give Cincy a fist rounder in '10 and '11. Obviously, it is not worth the risk, but it is within the rules.

Doing this with a 5th or 6th round pick is sometimes viable if a team really likes someone. Giving up 2 #5s might be ok. I think Baltimore did this to Seattle or San Fran last year in the 6th round.

Thank you for the information. I never knew this was possible. :rolleyes:

He fired his second agent and rehired his first agent. This guy has problem child written all over him. Nice job Bills front office of nipping a potential problem in the bud.

If anybody cares, he has now changed his mind and has decided to stick with his second agent....yeah, Cincinnati seems like a good fit for this guy already!

Yeah the guy has bust written all over him. I'm surprised that so many here wanted to draft him, sort of like Malcolm Kelly last year. All I can say is that I'm glad that the board GM's we have here are not in charge.

Im glad too after all we have such talent in the FO.

The Bills still could have picked him but the Bengals would have the right to match any offer because they had picked him first.

Actually what I had in mind was a trade up to do it.

On second thought. Most teams would probably not want to trade out of the top ten becuase they enjoy overpaying high risk players so much. :rolleyes

The Bills still could have picked him but the Bengals would have the right to match any offer because they had picked him first.
That's interesting. I would not have known that was even permissible. Anyone know when the last time that happened? It must be years if ever.

That's interesting. I would not have known that was even permissible. Anyone know when the last time that happened? It must be years if ever.

Another one bites the dust?

Yeah the guy has bust written all over him. I'm surprised that so many here wanted to draft him, sort of like Malcolm Kelly last year. All I can say is that I'm glad that the board GM's we have here are not in charge.

Eh. Top ten picks generally hold out. Hard to think Smith would be in camp in the first place, and if there is hardball played, CIN can easily do without his services if Whitworth is recovered from his high ankle sprain. My expectation is that if/when he comes in late, he's 2nd string RT.

One thing I read about this whole Smith situation...I think Stuck in Cincy posted the article...

the guy was supposedly 10 pounds lighter at his pro day than at the combine...but then a few days after the draft Cinci went and had a quick interview with him again and it was "reported" that he was "only" 7 lbs heavier than his playing weight....and this "sold the Cinci staff."

Unless this is all poor reporting (or terrible reading on my part), the guy gained close to 15 pounds (give or take) between pro day and the draft? And this is a good thing?

I'll say I wanted us to draft the guy if we could have because he was the most dominant college player the last four years. But I must say he does have bust written all over him. I hope he proves his critics wrong, except when they play buffalo of course!

One thing I read about this whole Smith situation...I think Stuck in Cincy posted the article...

the guy was supposedly 10 pounds lighter at his pro day than at the combine...but then a few days after the draft Cinci went and had a quick interview with him again and it was "reported" that he was "only" 7 lbs heavier than his playing weight....and this "sold the Cinci staff."

Unless this is all poor reporting (or terrible reading on my part), the guy gained close to 15 pounds (give or take) between pro day and the draft? And this is a good thing?

I'll say I wanted us to draft the guy if we could have because he was the most dominant college player the last four years. But I must say he does have bust written all over him. I hope he proves his critics wrong, except when they play buffalo of course!

They took much effort to speak with him, his family, before drafting him. If he or his agent balks at competitive #6 money, holds out for more, doesn't show, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the mix for next years' draft, for another club to deal with. With all the well-know warts CIN owner Brown has, he does pay players competitive money and is a stickler for up-front dealings. And you can buy a lot of adequate talent with that #6 cash, and their OL coach is tops.

Like I said - they really won't sweat it if Smith isn't signed.

He fired his second agent and rehired his first agent. This guy has problem child written all over him. Nice job Bills front office of nipping a potential problem in the bud.

I remember a very similar comment when Bryant McKinnie was drafted by the Vikings in the 2002 draft. The Bills fans here were ecstatic that the Bills passed on McKinnie and chose Mike Williams instead.

How did that work out?

Bryant McKinnie has been a rock at LT for many years now.

Could Andre Smith be another McKinnie? Just because a guy changes agents doesn't mean he can't play.

It's a good thing the Bills have only "character" guys on the roster! :flirt:

We'll never know if the Bills would have chosen Smith, but I would have taken him if he was available.

• 1 month later...

The latest on Andre Smith...yet another mistep. He committed to appearing at a 3 day football camp...gets lost driving there and finally shows up just as the 2nd day is ending. Fellow rookie offensive lineman Jonathan Luigs had no such problems.

When Smith pulled into a gas station to ask for directions to Bloomington he was asked "which Bloomington?" The camp was being held in Bloomington, Illinois but apparently Smith was driving to Bloomington, Indiana.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/06...07746792801.txt

No, remember we got Cornelius Bennett because Indy only offered him a 4yr contract & we offered 5yr contract. The other reason we got him because at the time there were no direct flight offered by the airlines from his home in Alabama to Indianapolis. Luckily, there were direct flights at the time from Birmingham to Buffalo. That gave us exclusive rights to deal for his rights. Once it got approved by the league, CB was ours.

That is why I get aggravated when people say Polian was a good GM. He made some decent trades but circumstances just went our way back then.

:ph34r:

Huh - Polian not a good GM?? Uh, hello - 6 AFC East Titles, 4 Superbowl appearances with Buffalo. He made Carolina into a competitive team and has a consistent winner (+ Superbowl) in Indianapolis. How many HOFs has he drafted??

Please... your statement is beyond ridiculous. Circumstances went Buffalo's way because Polian put us in place for them to go our way. Can you explain how Buffalo get absolutely no luck in the draft or off-seasons regarding "circumstances" where future HOFs fall into our roster...No..... So please stop with the "hate'n" on Polian. I think besides yourself, you probably would not find one person on this or any Bills discussion board that wouldn't kill to have Polian at the helm again.

Yeah, and Polian hasn't done anything since leaving the Bills.