Adam Schein calls out 9 rookies who can't play like rookies.

This was nice to read and I think that he's right.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9539876...ay-like-rookies

I expect Maybin to start off the season strong and then taper off considerably. He has blazing speed and there isn't any tape on him yet as a pro so OCs won't be able to break down his moves until after a few games but the damage will be done by then for New England. Once opposing offenses start start breaking down the tape and OTs start challenging rookies to bring something different it will be harder for them to get to the QB due to their limited repertoire of moves. For Maybin to be successful, he needs to utilize his speed and not let OTs be able to get their hands on him or otherwise it will be a long day for him.

Over a third of the players (11 out of 32) who were drafted in the first round in this year's draft were defensive pass rushing type players (DE, DT & LB). That's over 50% more than the 2008 draft's first rounders (7 out of 32). There's a premium for these type of players but there's a high bust rate also. No doubt, this is a high risk position but the rewards can be monumental. I don't believe that I have to remind anyone about Bruce Smith and what he meant to this franchise. I'm glad that we didn't make a concession for this position and try to draft it in a later round like we have done before, even if Maybin were to be a bust I still applaud the decision and the courage to go after it.

I find this interesting and I'm also curious to see how good our talent evaluators are. There's no doubt that there's a huge risk in taking a pass rusher so high but I believe that Maybin was the right choice. If he's not then we stand a good chance that this franchise will take a big step back and maybe for a few years at that.

I'm excited and I'm hopeful, especially for our opener on MNF against the Patriots. I don't think that it's an overstatement to say that this one game has a play-off feeling to it, it's a HUGE game for us IMO. I'll be watching Maybin in particular during that game to see how our young prospect fairs against the mighty Patriots.

I really believe this kid is going to be solid. He will have to adjust to the speed of the progame. But over the long haul he will be a very good player in the league for years to come. He is a hard worker and a solid person which will go a long way in the league., when paired with his god given ability.

As Mayock said about him on draft day ,you either wake up with the speed and moves Maybin has or you don't. I know Maybin has to work on his run defense. But all in all i think he will be a cornerstone of our D for years to come.

That makes one of us....

I dont expect anything from Maybin for at least a year or two

i think he will get some good playing time later in the season. whether he will be good or not, i dont know. but i doubt we will see him sacking tom brady opening day.

It is always nice to have a nice kudos article written about one of our soon to be players. "He can and he will," kind of makes one feel warm and fuzzy inside. Let the euphoria continue, I add he can and he will to my wish list.

What he says about the Steelers pick of Ziggy Hood;

I would have rated him the fifth-best defensive tackle and considered "Ziggy" a second-round pick.

Great analysis douchebag. The Steelers had the 32nd pick in the first round which puts them on the cusp of the second round. If they had waited til the end of the second round he probably wouldn't have been there. <_<

It's cool to see him give props to Maybin but I take his analysis with a grain of salt. JMO

That makes one of us....

I dont expect anything from Maybin for at least a year or two

I think Maybin will be adequate as a situational pass rusher this year. If he's brought along slowly, he will eventually dominate. JMO Penn State DE's have a bad rap. That's a reason I believe he will be a little slow to adjust. I'm usually wrong when I say things about players and I really hope I'm wrong and that he'll be a stud from his first game to his last this year.

What he says about the Steelers pick of Ziggy Hood;

I would have rated him the fifth-best defensive tackle and considered "Ziggy" a second-round pick.

Great analysis douchebag. The Steelers had the 32nd pick in the first round which puts them on the cusp of the second round. If they had waited til the end of the second round he probably wouldn't have been there. :P

It's cool to see him give props to Maybin but I take his analysis with a grain of salt. JMO

I think Maybin will be adequate as a situational pass rusher this year. If he's brought along slowly, he will eventually dominate. JMO Penn State DE's have a bad rap. That's a reason I believe he will be a little slow to adjust. I'm usually wrong when I say things about players and I really hope I'm wrong and that he'll be a stud from his first game to his last this year.

I think your right on this one, Maybins gonna be a stud, once he gets bigger and stronger, look out! <_<

Maybin will be a stud, but is going to take time. Dline is a very hard transition from college to pros.

I spoke with a scout for a team. He told me that Byrd will make more of an impact on the defense this year then Maybin probably. But over the long haul Maybin should turn into a very good player.

I thought that Maybin would make an awesome OLB, in the mold of Shawn Merriman, if they switch to a 3-4, hey, you never know, switch between 3-4, to 4-3 on the fly would confuse a lot of offenses, could be interesting <_<

I expect maybin to get between 6 and 8.5 sacks this year. To me his rookie year is going to be one were he shows flashes of brilliance but disappears at times. He still has to put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and learn more pass rush moves to get past the better quicker tackles in the league as well as play with the weight he has added on.

What I really want to see from Maybin is a sack total above 5 and a good amount of QB pressures and hits. If he can get to the QB a lot during his rookie season even if the sacks don't come that shows me that he will only get better and develop into a serious pass rusher.

I expect maybin to get between 6 and 8.5 sacks this year. To me his rookie year is going to be one were he shows flashes of brilliance but disappears at times. He still has to put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and learn more pass rush moves to get past the better quicker tackles in the league as well as play with the weight he has added on.

What I really want to see from Maybin is a sack total above 5 and a good amount of QB pressures and hits. If he can get to the QB a lot during his rookie season even if the sacks don't come that shows me that he will only get better and develop into a serious pass rusher.

That's a pretty reasonable expectation except for the sack total. Keep in mind that the 2008 draft first rounders Chris Long (4), Glenn Dorsey (1), Vernon Gholston (0), Sedrick Ellis (4), Derrick Harvey (3.5), Lawrence Jackson (2) and Kentwan Balmer (0) only got 14.5 sacks combined in their first year in the league. In college they had 123 sacks combined so the leap to the NFL is not an easy one for these youngsters but I think that if Maybin got 4-6 sacks then he had an excellent rookie year. If he were to exceed that then Buffalo got a steal at the 11th pick.

That's a pretty reasonable expectation except for the sack total. Keep in mind that the 2008 draft first rounders Chris Long (4), Glenn Dorsey (1), Vernon Gholston (0), Sedrick Ellis (4), Derrick Harvey (3.5), Lawrence Jackson (2) and Kentwan Balmer (0) only got 14.5 sacks combined in their first year in the league. In college they had 123 sacks combined so the leap to the NFL is not an easy one for these youngsters but I think that if Maybin got 4-6 sacks then he had an excellent rookie year. If he were to exceed that then Buffalo got a steal at the 11th pick.

Yeah everyone called Mario Williams a bust when he only got like three or four sacks his rookie year since than he has gotten over 25 sacks in the last two years. you are right it takes a lot of time for these types of players to develop and Maybin is defiantly no exception. Even if Maybin gets only 1 or 2 sacks his rookie year you can't call him a bust.