OK...so here is a interesting thought...can most of us

rn blocking? Or is it?

I truly believe that we are going to see more space to run between the tackles this year......is this going to translate out into big plays from Marshawn instead of him gaining 5 yards by carrying half of the defensive team with him......or are people concerned that his possible lack of vision will be exposed and guys like Jackson end up doing better with the improvements?

Just wanted to know what folks thought about that.

You are off base on this one...no offense, as I get why you would think that. I like Lynch, but he has happy feet at the line and that is why he doesnt break more long runs, plain and simple. If he is ever going to become an Elite back in this league, he needs to hit the hole hard and fast, which he does not do and what Fred does better than him. If you notice, as the year went on he got better about hitting the hole as the staff had been on him about this, and as he hit the hole with more authority his production went up.

Dumping Dock, letting both Preston and Fowler leave, targeting Hangartner, and drafting two first-day interior linemen gives us a reasonably clear suggestion of what the Bills front office was thinking, doesn't it?

Oh, so Jason Peters was the only blocker on the Bills who graded out well in run blocking last year? Boy, that's a shocker. Not. Not if people actually watched him.

Here was the little tidbit at the bottom when someone asked who was the one Bill that actually did fare well...

As far as the other Bills lineman over 80%, that would be ex-Bill and current Eagle Jason Peters. He actually came in at just over the 90% mark.

On a related note, I will be posting the first of the Scientific Football 2009 Lab Results on my site later today. This is an information block that will be available to readers who pre-order Scientific Football 2009. Today’s post will include the 2008 POA numbers for all of the AFC O linemen.

KC

rn blocking? Or is it?

I truly believe that we are going to see more space to run between the tackles this year......is this going to translate out into big plays from Marshawn instead of him gaining 5 yards by carrying half of the defensive team with him......or are people concerned that his possible lack of vision will be exposed and guys like Jackson end up doing better with the improvements?

Just wanted to know what folks thought about that.

Lynch doesnt have very good speed or incredible moves. Thats why the few breakaways. He is a dynamic tough runner though.

Oh, so Jason Peters was the only blocker on the Bills who graded out well in run blocking last year? Boy, that's a shocker. Not. Not if people actually watched him.

Here was the little tidbit at the bottom when someone asked who was the one Bill that actually did fare well...

Thanks. I checked the comments on Tim's blog, but not Joyner's.

You are off base on this one...no offense, as I get why you would think that. I like Lynch, but he has happy feet at the line and that is why he doesnt break more long runs, plain and simple. If he is ever going to become an Elite back in this league, he needs to hit the hole hard and fast, which he does not do and what Fred does better than him. If you notice, as the year went on he got better about hitting the hole as the staff had been on him about this, and as he hit the hole with more authority his production went up.

I am way off base???

I was looking for opinions here.....:P

I know it's the pro bowl, but he was averaging like a first down a carry with a great offensive line.

yeah - he was really trashing that highly motivated Pro Bowl defense, the one that is not allowed to blitz or tackle with 2 hands. <_<

Dumping Dock, letting both Preston and Fowler leave, targeting Hangartner, and drafting two first-day interior linemen gives us a reasonably clear suggestion of what the Bills front office was thinking, doesn't it?

You mean like the middle of the line was weak mentally and physically, got blown backwards as often as not, and had to be replaced?

Oh, and Peters was better than both of the Patrioits tackles and both of the Jets tackles.*

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04...-beat-the-jets/

*I'm assuming that "just over 90%" was a tad better than 90.1% of Matt Light, otherwise they were even. :)

Peters was the best T in the division bar none per those ratings. Astonishing for a guy voted to the Pro Bowl, I know. :oops:

I heard Trent Edwards explain it this way, "You can't just go out and replace a guy with the talent of Jason Peters. It can't be done." (That was last week.)

The best lineman overall was Nick Mangold. I think some people around here wanted him, fwiw.

You mean like the middle of the line was weak mentally and physically, got blown backwards as often as not, and had to be replaced?

I'd say that's an accurate description, yes.

you mean the same interior OL that the same front office brought in 2 years ago to much praise at a cost of over $60 million.

a fine tribute to the awesome evaluation skills of John Guy. :oops:

I am still waiting for Lynch to hit the hole that is being blocked.

The guy has consistently shown that he is unable or too lazy to learn the playbook.

What holes? Have you watched the games? If our O-line blocked Marshawn Lynch to the second level on even 30% of the run plays Marshawn would crush defenses. The dude has moves, speed enough to break plays, and will not be brought down by any one linebacker let alone a d-back.

That dude can play. Get him to the second level and he is one of the best in the league.

His style is different than LT and he's no Adrian Peterson. Get Marshawn Lynch to the second level, and he will punish defenses. If he does miss holes, its probably due to the fact the he almost never gets holes.

What holes? Have you watched the games? If our O-line blocked Marshawn Lynch to the second level on even 30% of the run plays Marshawn would crush defenses. The dude has moves, speed enough to break plays, and will not be brought down by any one linebacker let alone a d-back.

That dude can play. Get him to the second level and he is one of the best in the league.

His style is different than LT and he's no Adrian Peterson. Get Marshawn Lynch to the second level, and he will punish defenses. If he does miss holes, its probably due to the fact the he almost never gets holes.

the same holes that Fred Jackson consistently hit to generate a full yard higher YPC.

Lynch can't get to the 2nd level because he doesn't focus on getting thru the 1st level.

Lynch is a plugger. For being the 12th player taken, he has no breakaway speed and bad vision. He starts, but he sure does not provide the production and dynamic play you absolutely need from top 12 picks.

I've been thinking this for a while now, that the Bills appear to have geared up for a pass happy offense, but that they are really hoping to establish a run first type attack. I'm guessing they would very much like to run, run, run, and pass when they've finally got the defense worried about the run. Even though the two rookies are such, their natural abilities will enable them to push on running plays, much easier than the schemes that are put together for passing plays. In the beginning of the year and in the snow, I see a running team - and we should be able, with the backs we've got, and a heavy O-line, to be a grind 'em out type offense. Then, when Trent's more comfortable, and when teams are out to stop the run, I could easily see us as a kind of Rams old offense, with screen passes, and the ability to go anywhere. If what we have on paper works out, we've got enough offensive weapons to do just about anything we want - we could go run, screen, tight end, slant patterns with reed, and, of course, deep with either T.O. or Evans. I'm excited.

There is a reason that Marshawn was the leading rusher in the Pro Bowl last year (on only 6 carries, no less) - he was playing behind a pro bowl OL that was evenly matched against a pro bowl DL.

Uh...does anybody even tackle in the PB anymore? :cry:

IMO, ML needs to curb some of his 'carry half the defense' tendencies in favor of being patient and timing his cuts to work with the blocking he has, like the more experienced Freddie does. I expect that to come as he matures and hones his craft this year.

Uh...does anybody even tackle in the PB anymore? :cry:

You guys are unreal.....Marshawn flashes his skill, and everybody tries to downplay it because it's "only the probowl".

Did it escape you that all of the other probowl RB's were also running against the same linemen, and Marshawn outrushed them all? On only six rushes, and if I remember right, one or two of those were short-yardage plunges on 3rd and short/4th and short. Come on, give a little credit where credit is due....