Why looking at the schedule is stupid.

I hear a lot of people down on the Bills schedule this year and I have to say that after all the reasons to be down on the Bills the schedule is not one of them.

Going into last season most of us played the win loss win loss loss win game when looking at the schedule and did anyone have us losing to the Dolphins twice and beating Jacksonville at Jacksonville and San Diego? The point is that our schedule may look hard now but it won't shake out that way when its all said and done.

There are always sure fire losses that turn into wins and wins that turn into losses. Because of the nature of the NFL being a league where 80% of the teams are average and pretty much just hope to get lucky with in game breaks and injuries the schedule becomes pointless as a barometer for win projection.

Guest dog14787
I hear a lot of people down on the Bills schedule this year and I have to say that after all the reasons to be down on the Bills the schedule is not one of them.

Going into last season most of us played the win loss win loss loss win game when looking at the schedule and did anyone have us losing to the Dolphins twice and beating Jacksonville at Jacksonville and San Diego? The point is that our schedule may look hard now but it won't shake out that way when its all said and done.

There are always sure fire losses that turn into wins and wins that turn into losses. Because of the nature of the NFL being a league where 80% of the teams are average and pretty much just hope to get lucky with in game breaks and injuries the schedule becomes pointless as a barometer for win projection.

I wouldn't say folks get down on the Bills because of the schedule, they get down on the circumstances that seem to keep stacking the odds up against us year after year. I do agree with you however we can't put to much into the schedule. Look at what happened last year, it should have been an easier year with Brady going down and Miami in a rebuilding stage yet New England still beats the Bills twice and Miami wins the division so go figure. I realize the two teams I mentioned are on our schedule every year , but my point is from one year to the next we don't know how well teams will do, we can speculate and with teams like the Patriots we will probably be correct , but luckily for us most teams aren't as consistent as the Patriots are year in and year out.

Well said! Perhaps the schedule looks daunting every year because we know that we are not good enough to consistently beat good teams. In the early 1990s, many of us liked when top teams were on our schedule because we were confident that we could beat those units. And we often did.

I wouldn't say folks get down on the Bills because of the schedule, they get down on the circumstances that seem to keep stacking the odds up against us year after year. I do agree with you however we can't put to much into the schedule. Look at what happened last year, it should have been an easier year with Brady going down and Miami in a rebuilding stage yet New England still beats the Bills twice and Miami wins the division so go figure. I realize the two teams I mentioned are on our schedule every year , but my point is from one year to the next we don't know how well teams will do, we can speculate and with teams like the Patriots we will probably be correct , but luckily for us most teams aren't as consistent as the Patriots are year in and year out.

There is reason for optimism and reason for pessimism. But our whole season pretty much revolves around Trent Edwards and our o-line. I think our defense is going to be between 12-16 in the league a very respectable bunch (as long as they get a linebacker) but nothing spectacular. Our skill position players are set so its pretty much up to our qb and the brand new o-line that protects him to get the job done. and I see why someone would have no confidence in either unit on the offensive side of the ball.

The schedule being difficult is something that is just speculation you don't know if the schedule is hard yet.

Then I guess when ESPN, NFL.com and so forth, come out and say that "XYZ" has the toughest or easiest schedule, they have no idea what they're talking about.

Then I guess when ESPN, NFL.com and so forth, come out and say that "XYZ" has the toughest or easiest schedule, they have no idea what they're talking about.

They are basing that on the previous year's results. And there is so much turnover in the NFL. All I am saying that the NFL has more teams that go from good to bad and bad to good that you don't know how hard the schedule is at the beginning of the season. Last year the Dolphins and Falcons were looked at as cupcakes and the Jags and Packers were looked at as hard games. It's not that they have no idea its just what they are going off of may not be accurate.

They are basing that on the previous year's results. And there is so much turnover in the NFL. All I am saying that the NFL has more teams that go from good to bad and bad to good that you don't know how hard the schedule is at the beginning of the season. Last year the Dolphins and Falcons were looked at as cupcakes and the Jags and Packers were looked at as hard games. It's not that they have no idea its just what they are going off of may not be accurate.

But it is a starting point. Just like businesses calculate their projected earnings/losses. All kinds of things happen that can change the outcome, but it is a starting point.

Guest dog14787
But it is a starting point. Just like businesses calculate their projected earnings/losses. All kinds of things happen that can change the outcome, but it is a starting point.

True, it is a starting point, but an inaccurate one and to what purpose does it serve? (except for fun)

Its not something I would want to advertise to my team or men in my company. The goal in my opinion is to enter every business venture or game with a winning attitude and a game plan that will net good results.

You conveniently reference the very few teams that actually did have surprizing seasons. But if your schedule contains games against the Pats*, Colts, Chargers, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles -all of which are perenial powers, it's more than safe to say it's gonna be a bad year.

I agree, the league is much more watered down than in times past, but when you're good and have a very good QB, you can still count W's before the season and expect your picks to be close in the end.

Guest dog14787
Betting lines, for one. And lest you think I jest, it is a very big business, worldwide.

True that, never really thought about the gambling side of things.

Yep, and it's also stupid to look at the schedule to see who we play this season as well.

True that, never really thought about the gambling side of things.

Many many years ago I would bet with a friend of mine weekly on the Bills v the point spread.

In the 3 to 4 years we had this ongoing bet the odds were pretty darn even. Neither of us walked away with more than a 3 win advantage.